[In which I review] New anime, Summer 2012

NPC New World Order

Grand Moff
Validated User
Wow... Mankind Has Declined got huge points from me for

Spoiler: Show
using the Pioneer Anomaly to anthromorphize it and Voyager. My inner space geek loved that.

I'm continuing to watch SAO and Joshiraku, but I've dropped everything else that was new this season.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The last couple of episodes of Kokoro Connect have been pretty awesome.

also:
Spoiler: Show

Inaban is the best girl.

Ikselam

now featuring transbearency
Validated User
Best part of that show so far has been listening to the different voice actors imitate each other's tone and cadences. Aki Toyosaki's impression of Miyuki Sawashiro is dead-on.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Aki Toyosaki's impression of Miyuki Sawashiro is dead-on.
That it is. Especially when it got taken to the next level.

Kokoro Connect really is this season's dark horse show, isn't it ? It's got some very impressive characterization (and the voice cast able to pull it off), and I love the way it's just switched to a completely different gimmick halfway through, just to keep things interesting.

And yeah, Inaban is totally best girl. (Although Iori is quite lovingly messed-up too.)

I have no clue what Humanity Has Declined was trying to do with its third arc, but it seems to be back on form with the latest one. The fairies have just become even creepier.

I was getting worried that Moyashimon Returns wasn't quite getting its groove back, but all doubts were shattered with the deliciously insane festival. (After all, those were the best episodes of the first season too.) It's the deadpan over-the-topness that makes it work.

Meanwhile, Natsuyuki Rendezvous keeps on doing its thing, progressing at good enough a clip that I'm not worried about getting proper resolution. And it's been delicious seeing how Shimao really didn't think his little stunt through.

Hyouka has taken its sweet time to resolve this festival mystery, but the solution does work and makes good use of all the apparently random clues hidden in the background. I don't think it would have worked without the leisurely pace, to be honest.

There's something very shounen about Space Brothers, but this "tournament arc" has actually been the most enjoyable part of the show so far. Lots of interesting characterization and fascinating decision-making.

Conversely, Sword Art Online seems to be stuck in "filler hell". Yeah, I know it's not "real" filler, but this string of random side-stories isn't working out. The last one was the better of the lot, simply because it being a two-parter gave the show a bit of room to breathe. (Although, really, the two leads are still generic as hell.)

Tari Tari isn't quite clicking for me. I just find it dull, lacking interesting characters or a captivating hook. (The comparison with Hanasaku Iroha doesn't help, as that show had Ohana and a better dramatic edge.)

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I have no clue what Humanity Has Declined was trying to do with its third arc, but it seems to be back on form with the latest one. The fairies have just become even creepier.
And I didn't even think that was possible.

Also, what the hell is up with Grandfather and guns? He's always cleaning guns, he has enough guns on the wall to stock a survivalist encampment, and the holes in the wall suggest he practices shooting from his desk.

Conversely, Sword Art Online seems to be stuck in "filler hell". Yeah, I know it's not "real" filler, but this string of random side-stories isn't working out. The last one was the better of the lot, simply because it being a two-parter gave the show a bit of room to breathe. (Although, really, the two leads are still generic as hell.)
I kind of like Kirito because he's a good example of a non-asshole loner. He's not in any way callous and perfectly willing to help people in trouble, but getting too close to other people seems to make him sincerely uncomfortable.

Tari Tari isn't quite clicking for me. I just find it dull, lacking interesting characters or a captivating hook. (The comparison with Hanasaku Iroha doesn't help, as that show had Ohana and a better dramatic edge.)
Wow, I think Tari Tari is much better than Hanasaku Iroha. The characters in HI barely grew or changed; especially Ohana herself. The Tari Tai characters actually evolve over time.

I especially like the relationship between Konatsu and Sawa, who act like the lifelong friends they are.

testuo01

Banned
The problem with Sword Art Online is that *all* the stories except the relatively short main plot are side-stories; They were written after the original novel was published, because it was meant to be a one-off. (Hence why they keep going back and slotting things into continuity.)

Fortunately, later arcs are more self-contained.

KoboldLord

Validated User
I was pretty sure by the third arc, but the latest Humanity Has Declined pretty well confirms that the arcs are anachronic. Probably those first two episodes were the last two in chronological order, at least so far. I'm glad, since it means the main character didn't murder her hair at the end of episode 6. Anachronic order explains a lot, but it also leads to even more questions.

Jeph

生き物
Validated User
Wow, that's so incredibly obvious that it never even occurred to me. D'oh.

Top Bottom