[In which I review] New anime, Summer 2012

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I liked how Chitanda's last line of the latest episode is basically the author's manifesto for Hyouka itself.

I thought it was cute. The animation's lovely too. I look forward to the bitchy teacher being shown what-for.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
(Well, there's also yet another Hakuouki sequel, but who cares about those ?)
I have to admit to some morbid curiosity about how long they can keep up Chizuru's total irrelevance to the plot of which she is nominally the protagonist.

Not much to say about Total Eclipse yet. I expect it will start getting more interesting around the second half of Episode 2, or Episode 3, once they get done killing the non-named characters.

Did I mention that the whole class of mecha pilots is female ?
I get the impression they're essentially Volksstrum. Give a bunch of kids some giant robots and Panzerfausts, and hope they manage to get a few shots off before they die.

Also, you'd think that with around 40 years of total war and the development of mecha, they'd have figured out how to make tank cannons/shells capable of achieving frontal kills on the aliens.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I think the idea here is that the apocalypse was very recent, and the whole lot of the villagers were city people and haven't a single clue about this (to say nothing of their unwillingness to hurt the cute beasties). Remember that they can't hunt for shit, either.

Between this and the utter failure of democracy, this is turning out to be a very dark and cynical show indeed...
Though I don't know why the source of the strange food is even in question. You have a skinless, headless chicken acting alive. Yeah, I'm going to blame the post-humans with their Singularity level technology.

That's what I take away from the show, by the way. It's not so much post-apocalypse as post-Singularity, where for some reason the post-humans have taken the shape of little faeries.

Tari Tari
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

Slice-of-life high-school series.

Characters

Miyamoto, clumsy and awkward long-time member of the Choir club, who has been clearly told by the club advisor there's no way she's performing at the next festival after the fracas she caused during the last one. So she's going to start her own Choir club with blackjack, and hookers. She just needs 4 more members... (And another advisor. And to somehow get through the paperwork and the bureaucracy.)
I never get why these characters always get hung up on making an "official" club. It is possible to just get some friends together and take up a hobby.

Sakai, the brooding loner who transferred in recently, is suggested by their homeroom teacher so that she can open up a bit. Not that she's enthusiastic about the prospect.

I've got no clue why Tanaka, the lone member of the Badminton club, would want to join, but he's bound to at some point given all the focus on him this episode. Ditto for the brand new transfer student from Austria, who learned everything about Japan from books.
The homeroom teacher is obviously a relative of Sakai's. Probably an aunt.

I don't know why, "Try your best, lonely boy!" (best line of the episode) would want to join, but his performance in the classroom showed he actually has a great singing voice. No surprise Miyamoto will want to nag him into it.

On the one hand, it's nice to see PA Works going back to basics after the disastrous experiment that was Another. Slice-of-life is what they're good at. But on the other hand, this is a really generic slice-of-life high-school story that only the quality of the execution makes rise above the crop. It's perfectly pleasant and grows on you after a while, but hardly outstanding.

But hey, this isn't the right season to be picky ; I'll take it.
I'm fine with slice of life shows, but they really need to have something to say.

Ikselam

just a bear— can't even fly
Validated User
I never get why these characters always get hung up on making an "official" club. It is possible to just get some friends together and take up a hobby.
My understanding is that it's kind of an idiosyncratic Japanese thing, where for various societal reasons school clubs take on a level of importance that goes well beyond, "If we're official, we can request funding from the Student Council."

I'm fine with slice of life shows, but they really need to have something to say.
One could argue that the absence of a strong "message" is one of the distinguishing features of the genre.

Packrat

Validated User
I get the impression they're essentially Volksstrum. Give a bunch of kids some giant robots and Panzerfausts, and hope they manage to get a few shots off before they die.
Well the main character seems to belong to some seriously important military family, which I guess is behind her getting a different coloured outfit and mech in the last scene? It strikes me as weird she would be treated as outright cannon fodder but I guess this is the equivelent of fighter pilots in WW2 or something and the newbies mostly just die, with her getting to automagically be a junior officer because family.

The real cannon fodder would be those tanks which inexplicably are totally useless and do not use the same technology for their guns/armour as the giant robots.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
All of Muv Luv's mecha are based on RL fighter planes, the exceptions being the Japanese units, and tend to act much like them. It's not exactly easy to spot this thought. Usually the only real similarities is in the fins in the rear. Anyways, with that in mind, and some background knowledge that the aliens tend to have air superiority, I tend to expect high losses.

MadMac

Validated User
I seem to be lucky enough that the only shows I've had time to check out so far are the moderately promising ones-Fairy Dystopia and Choir show. Granted, I'm not exactly enthralled with the latter, but having singing as a minor hobby myself is probably enough to keep me watching.

Any other season I'd pass on the Mecha show but as it stands it's next on my list.

(I can't be bothered learning names for shows I don't like yet.)

DJorgensen

Banned
Man, that fairy dystopia show is disturbing. The visuals to it are obviously designed to appeal to small children (simple character designs and heavy use of bright colors), yet they include things like headless, skinless chickens running around and the bread bot tearing itself in half and gushing what is initially assumed to be some sort of blood. If it is scheduled for a timeslot kids can watch, no wonder Japan's youth are so fucked up. I wouldn't want to leave the house either if during my formative years, a cartoon convinced me random wandering slices of bread would jump out of the shadows, tear themselves in half and spurt blood all over me. Hell, I wouldn't even want to eat sandwiches after that. "No! Don't cut the crust off, it'll bleed!" Damn, and to think the Grape Ape gave me nightmares for years when I was a kid... o_O;

I'd also like to point out some anime quietly sneaking by as a series of 7 movies that started limited release last May, and will be aired as a 26 episode series next year - Yamato 2199. It is a remake of the original 1972 series. It looks absolutely gorgeous compared to the crappy, washed out footage we got with Star Blazers in the late 70's, they've very nicely updated the designs (characters and costumes alike). They've made some plot changes here and there, some of which were kind of detrimental (in the original series, they tried and failed a few times before they got the wave motion engine started properly; in the new series it goes too easy and they get it right on the first go) while others fill out the story significantly (there's a third sister from Iscandar who delivered information and blueprints a year earlier, then the second one who died on Mars, this time delivering an engine core instead of blueprints, helping put the rebuilding of the Yamato on a much more credible time scale; also more than one female on the crew! They show at least three other girls on the crew, including a second one with a speaking part so far.)

So yeah, right now it isn't on Jhiday's review list since it currently counts as a movie/OVA, but keep an eye out for it a few seasons from now.

Boco

Genderless entity
Validated User
Man, that fairy dystopia show is disturbing. The visuals to it are obviously designed to appeal to small children (simple character designs and heavy use of bright colors),
?

The manga is serialized in Comic Ikki, which also has Bokurano, Saraiya Goyou, and Sexy Vocie & Robo. It's seinen.

The anime also airs at 2 am.

Not for kids.

Top Bottom