• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Summer 2013

KoboldLord

Validated User
I don't understand this metaphor. A hint for me?
Wheelbarrows are used to transport manure. Zac Bertschy, the specific reviewer in question, brought a load of crap from his political inclinations and used it on his ANN review of Stella Women's Academy instead of talking about the actual show itself. His reviews are usually comedy reviews, rather than being something intended to be taken seriously, but I don't think this one was good for that either. Usually Zac Bertschy's reviews touch off a 30-page flame war in the comment thread attached to the column. On the other hand, sometimes they're actually funny. Just not this time.

If you want actual reviews from ANN, I'd stick with any of the other reviewers, because even though they do have biases they are at least doing their jobs. As a rule of thumb, however, they are all very jaded viewers who have been part of the animation community for longer than some of their readers have been alive, and they are often not very impressed with the latest new hotness. In particular, none of them like loli or moe shows very much, and jiggle shows have to be pretty darn remarkable to get any favorable response. Fans of those shows won't have any reviewer representing them.

Scholar and a Brutalman

Validated User
I found the first episode of this season of The World God Only Knows to be more awkward than I expected. I was kind of expecting from descriptions that it would be mostly a matter of fast-forwarding through a bunch of chapters that were pretty much the same as all the chapters before them, and that pretty much happened. But apparently one of the skipped characters is actually going to be important now, and she's going to show up and have lines and stuff just like if we actually knew who she was. Skipping the filler doesn't seem like a very good idea any more, if its going to actually be plot-relevant.
They skipped nearly twice as many chapters than they'd animated in the first two series + the OVA combined. Given how successful the series has been - not very - I don't think they could ever animate everything. The characters that will be significant in the current series were the three they devoted more time to in the fast forward: Yui (the girl he body-swapped with), Tsukiyo (girl who turned into a doll) and Akari (who Keima calls a mad scientist.) But I wish they'd released OVAs for those three, like they did for Tenri. Especially for Akari, with whom he has some of the most interesting conversations in the whole series, and Yui, which is IMO the funniest conquest arc of all, and also has one of Keima's crowning moments of awesome.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
(the girl he body-swapped with)
Wait, what ?
Stop making it sound like the show finally went somewhere interesting ! :(

Meanwhile, there are still a few new series being pumped out. It's nearly over, fortunately.

Hyperdimension Neptunia - The Animation (Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

An adaptation of a action-RPG game franchise that's very loosely based on the Console Wars. The setting ("Gamindustri") is divided into four countries : Lastation, Lowee, Leanbox, and "Neptunia", which doesn't seemed to be based on any real console.

Characters

Neptune, the ruling goddess of Neptunia, starts off the series by proclaiming a cease-fire with the three other nations in a grandiose ceremony. But it turns out this aura of dignity is just a façade for the masses ; in truth she's a lazy bum who didn't even write her own speech. Since she just plays around all day without doing much, her popularity is declining, which is Bad News for Neptunia. So she goes off on a training trip to get a bit better at her job.

There's a bunch of supporting characters around her, most prominently her younger sister Nepgear, who's a bit more responsible but not much more competent (mostly due to her much lower power levels). The others probably had more personality and purpose in the games ; here they're just nagging on Neptune to take her job more seriously.

Noire, the goddess of Lastation, is very tsundere indeed : she accepts to help training Neptune but staying verbally abusive throughout. Not that Neptune doesn't deserve it, but Noire's treatment of her own little sister Uni is a bit more questionable.

The other two goddesses, Blanc (for Lowee) and Vert (for Leanbox) don't get much screentime yet, with Blanc mostly showing up to make it clear she's a workaholic who neglects her little sisters.

There are some vaguely nefarious people who show up towards the end in shadows to make some ominous comments.

Production Values

Colourful and utterly generic. This fantasy world doesn't feel like a real, lived-in place at all.

Also, there's some horribly contrived fanservice in some places, and those transformations sequences don't help.

Overall Impression

Terrible on every level. Every single character is annoying, with the token attempts at depth for Neptune & Noire falling flat. The plot is indigent, and barely uses the "console wars" premise at all. (A quick glance through descriptions of the original games shows that those sounded slightly more interesting. But not much.) Nothing of any interest happens. The "transformation" gimmick is just baffling.

Maybe the games are fun to play ; this certainly isn't fun to watch.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
Huh. I don't recall this being mentioned in the same episode of the anime but I recently found a translation of the Yuyushiki manga and apparently Yuzuko is color blind to some extent. According to her the sun and ketchup are both red.

Edit: I meant to put this in the general anime thread.

Last edited:

Ikselam

a heavy bear to cross
Validated User
Huh. I don't recall this being mentioned in the same episode of the anime but I recently found a translation of the Yuyushiki manga and apparently Yuzuko is color blind to some extent. According to her the sun and ketchup are both red.

Sun being red in Japan is not a particularly new thing.

edit: Not to mention, the sun's apparent color changes quite a bit depending on what time of day it is.

Last edited:

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The words we use for color are not universal. For instance, if you asked a japanese person what color the "go" light was at a stoplight, they would say it was blue. Similarly, they consider the sun to be red. The words we use actually refer to an infinite number of slightly different colors, and each culture has their own definition of where each word begins and ends.

The words we use for color are not universal. For instance, if you asked a japanese person what color the "go" light was at a stoplight, they would say it was blue. Similarly, they consider the sun to be red. The words we use actually refer to an infinite number of slightly different colors, and each culture has their own definition of where each word begins and ends.
Well Modern japanese is slowly separating Aoi (blue or green) into Aoi (blue) and Midori (green). Also while the number of color words does vary, there are also rules about how they get added in, first white and black, then Red. Then blue..I don't remember the rest of it. (IIRC)

Last edited:

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
Yamagami, our protagonist. She has just joined the welfare office for one purpose only : finding and exacting revenge on the person who authorized her parents to name her
Spoiler: Show
Lucy Kimiko Akie Airi Shiori Rinne Yoshiho Ayano Tomika Chitose Sanae Mikiko Ichika [...]
. For very understandable reasons, this is a bit of a berserk button for her, and she's got a general grudge against public servants.
I laughed my head off at the nametag.

Top Bottom