• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Summer 2013

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is incredibly important: what does her voice sound like?
Raw, raspy, breathless. You can listen to the VA "singing" in-character in the ED ; it's a bit lower-pitched in the actual show.

... Well, that's her inner-monologue voice, anyway ; she's barely able to put two words together when talking to actual people (beyond her family). In which case, it comes out as a barely-intelligible whisper.

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
She's a walking trainwreck and this is painful to watch.
That's pretty much my opinion of the show. Apart from the end credits I did not find it enjoyable at all. Though slightly amused having just gone through My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU where Hiki is similar to the protagonist here in attitude. Just that he was about a 100 times more entertaining.

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User
No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular! (Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!)
(12 episodes)
I read a couple of chapters of the manga a while back. Sounds like the anime nailed it. In fact, the reason I dind't read more than a couple of chapters was that it's so painfully true to life.

The thing that makes Kuroki different is that shy girls in anime are often depicted as cute and harmless. Someone there for the protagonist to sweep in and rescue. I felt like the manga really got at the simmering anger that it's easy to feel when you're an extreme introvert. You hate yourself and you hate everyone else for navigating social interactions so easily.

Rainfall

Validated User
Jhiday said:
It's also hilarious, fortunately. It helps that a lot of this feels authentic and barely exagerated from actual nerd behaviour : it hurts to watch because it's true, and a good chunk of the audience has been in similar places. And while she's not shown in a good light, to put it mildly, Kuroki still manages to be an endearing character to watch. We want to see her get a bit better, although she'll probably fall flat on her face repeatedly on the way.
Yeah, I spent the whole show wanting to give Kuroki a hug and tell her it gets better.

I didn't think I'd even be able to watch this show, cringe comedy almost makes me physically ill and Kuroki feels way too familiar for comfort. But somehow I instead found it amusing and oddly endearing.

And I have to second both the OP and ED are actually quite great.

Shay Guy

Validated User
The ANN preview guide gives WATAMOTE wildly varying ratings -- 1.5, 3, 4, and 4.5 (out of 5). Wonder how much the viewer's own memories of adolescence count for...

MadMac

Validated User
Okay, so Watamote is awesome. That's my first definite pickup for this season.

The new season of TWGOK is a bit off-putting. I knew they were jumping ahead at least a little, but skipping over that much material in the first episode leaves me wondering if I need to go read the 50 or so manga chapters in between to enjoy this one. It doesn't help that I didn't watch the OVA's either.

Bafflement

Ruthless Sillographer
Validated User
The new season of TWGOK is a bit off-putting. I knew they were jumping ahead at least a little, but skipping over that much material in the first episode leaves me wondering if I need to go read the 50 or so manga chapters in between to enjoy this one. It doesn't help that I didn't watch the OVA's either.
If you watch this OVA:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/15117/Kami_nomi_zo_Shiru_Sekai:_Tenri-hen
you should be in a much better position to enjoy the new series. It sets up a fair bit of stuff for the first episode.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For the record, I gave up on The World God Only Knows after the second season. The pace was just way too slow, and I found out I had no interest in the way the various girls' arcs were played way too seriously, like the show was trying to have its cake and eat it.

This discussion of the boring formulaic parts being skipped and the pace picking up noticeably intrigue me, but to be honest I've lost all trust in the series at this point. So I won't be bothering with it, especially in so busy a season.

Speaking of which, there was another late show debuting tonight...

Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji)
(noitaminA ; 11 episodes ; 2nd season already scheduled for next Winter)

What's it about ?

Slice of life comedy set in an agricultural High School, in Hokkaido.

Characters

Hachiken, our protagonist. As a city boy coming from an elite junior high school, he sticks out like a sore thumb here. (There are some mutterings about family issues that got him to join a boarding school as far from home as possible, but it's not elaborated upon yet.) Good at academics, but does it really matter when the curriculum involves lots of very specialized science and physical activity ? It doesn't help that he's not good with animals and is grossed out when learning where eggs come from.

Mikage, his obvious future love interest. Loves horses, and has already joined the equitation club. Not really much personality beyond that.

The new students are divided into groups of five for practical courses ; in Hachiken's group there's the faint-of-heart guy who wants to become a vet, the short guy, the jock who somehow still has enough energy to be very enthusiastic about the baseball club, and the very big girl.

Production Values

This is clearly a low-budget production, with just enough animation to sell the jokes.

Overall Impression

Uh oh. This doesn't quite work. There are some decent jokes here, but a bit too many of them rely on poop humour. The characters don't have much depth, and Hachiken is more than a bit annoying with all his complaining. And as a whole, it feels very bland, without much of a hook. It has a semi-interesting setting, but that's it.

It may just be a slow start ; I'm willing to give it a bit of rope. But there's nothing particularly enthralling here yet.

Last edited:
Okay, so Watamote is awesome. That's my first definite pickup for this season.

I really really liked it. Then again I seem to have a strong tolrance for minimal information.

Top Bottom