• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Summer 2013

The Yann Waters

Under Someone Else's Bed
Wait, no. The real mastermind behind Gatchaman is "JJ", the tall mysterious dude who inducted Hajime (in what's totally not a rape metaphor) and gives orders through riddles transmitted by magic notebooks.
Hajime's "OMG, the NOTEs are our souls, how cool is that?!" reaction inevitably leads to the conclusion that she hasn't watched Madoka.

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
Hajime's "OMG, the NOTEs are our souls, how cool is that?!" reaction inevitably leads to the conclusion that she hasn't watched Madoka.
Or she has watched Madoka, and shares the opinions of many viewers that for all the problems of the Magical Girl system, the external souls and reconstituted bodies aren't among them?

I think it's something that's more shocking when it's sprung as a surprise than when you've had the time to think about it beforehand.

Old Toby
Least Known Dog on

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
That "good Samaritan" social app is apparently called GALAX, which is a gigantic red flag to any old school fan that it might, in fact, be so far from "good" that it couldn't find goodness with a radio telescope...

Interesting armor designs. Sugane's helmet has a slim resemblance to the original team's Birdstyles, but I can't see anything avian about Hajime's mahou shoujo hardsuit, which makes me wonder why bother with the classic "Bird GO!" if there's no bird involved anywhere but the logo.

Thrund

Validated User
Well, that certainly wasn't what I was expecting from a Gatchaman spinoff, especially one echoing the naming convention of the superb Casshern SINS.

Given the ending, I can only assume this totally unrelated organisation have been allowed to use the Gatchaman name and logo in order to distract Berg Kattse and stop him going after anything important.

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
The Eccentric Family (Uchouten Kazoku)

This is reminding me of Durarara!!, minus any apparently boring character around. This can't be a bad thing, right ? Definitely following this one.
Durarara was one of my favorite things ever (as was Baccano), so I gave this a watch. But surprisingly, the thing it brought to mind most strongly wasn't either of those. I got this nagging sense of familiarity while I was watching it - the muted palette, the female character's design, the fact that the viewpoint character is running around not in his own body. It reminds me of Kaiba. Sure, it's shapeshifting in this and memory transfer in that, but I had to go check if it was made by the same studio, which it isn't. So I'm not sure what's up with that.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
Durarara was one of my favorite things ever (as was Baccano), so I gave this a watch. But surprisingly, the thing it brought to mind most strongly wasn't either of those. I got this nagging sense of familiarity while I was watching it - the muted palette, the female character's design, the fact that the viewpoint character is running around not in his own body. It reminds me of Kaiba. Sure, it's shapeshifting in this and memory transfer in that, but I had to go check if it was made by the same studio, which it isn't. So I'm not sure what's up with that.
I never did finish Kaiba, is it worth looking for?

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
I loved it. But then, it had a very unique flavor that I'm not sure I've ever found elsewhere. In a lot of ways it's like a children's story, but in a lot of other ways it's very mature. For all the stylized art and whimsical setting, it really did end up with a solid plot. I'd say it reminded me the most of Samurai Jack, but that comparison is probably too superficial.

It ends up dealing with themes of memory and identity which I normally associate with the hardish sci-fi coming out of Britain, but without the baggage of tropes and cliches and genre expectations. The fact that it's surreal and cartoony worked to its advantage, because it boils the ideas down to their most basic and presents them in a literal way without wasting a lot of time trying to justify itself. This is a world where you can grab the memories out of one person's head and put them into somebody else. How? Why? Who cares? That's not what the story is about.

So yeah, I loved it. Would I still love it if I watched it again? Hard to say, I'm not someone who re-watches a lot of media.

Edit: If you do go looking for it, though, good luck finding it in among all the Yu-Gi-Oh. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom