• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Review] New anime, Summer 2014

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Now to be fair towards both Ga-Rei Zero and Tokyo ESP, I'm violently allergic to being trolled by media. I cannot state how explosively bad my reactions are to that kind of crap. I've never watched a single second of anything related to Haruhi after dropping out of endless eight five episodes in and I was a fan before that.
Well I don't think Endless Eight is an example of trolling.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I can see arguments for and against that. I think it served a valid purpose, but I can also agree with anyone who got irritated with it. I can only imagine how pissed I would be if I was watching it live week to week and got stuck with 8 weeks of that. Or if I bought a DVD set and over half the episodes of an expensive set were one episode over and over.

I didn't, as I borrowed it from a friend, so I could appreciate the existential hell of Engless Eight, but I can see why it would suck for some viewers.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I feel like "trolling" has fallen victim to the same fate as "Mary Sue" and "deconstruction." Most of the time when it's used to describe serial fiction, it seems to mean "a plot twist that I didn't like."

That said, this doesn't seem to be an example of even that. Basically everything in this episode except the Ga-Rei Zero cameos (which I'm given to understand are promoting a manga crossover special) happened in the original story. They're just leading with the (run-up to the) climax to start things off with a bang. If it's guilty of anything, it's of containing spoilers... for manga issues that came out like a year ago.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
[*] Argevollen somehow manages to stay entertaining despite doing nothing new whatsoever. Guess I'm in the mood for a generic mecha show done competently.
While it's not exactly original, I'll give it credit for at least feeling 'real' in the way people act. Its nice to have a rookie pilot actually act like a rookie, and even when he gets the hang of the super mecha, he STILL needed bailing out.

Rainfall

Validated User
Felt close enough if you watched it happen "live" week after week. I don't think it's the kind of experience you can replicate watching the show on DVD knowing exactly what you're getting into. It was one hell of a stunt to pull at the time, I'll certainly grant them that.

I feel like "trolling" has fallen victim to the same fate as "Mary Sue" and "deconstruction." Most of the time when it's used to describe serial fiction, it seems to mean "a plot twist that I didn't like."
Nah, in this case I'm pretty specifically talking about someone fucking with their audience. Again, that's not something you can replicate if you're watching the whole thing on DVD years after the fact. More than half a season being the same episode being reanimated, WITHOUT a single plot twist. Two months in real time.

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Felt close enough if you watched it happen "live" week after week. I don't think it's the kind of experience you can replicate watching the show on DVD knowing exactly what you're getting into. It was one hell of a stunt to pull at the time, I'll certainly grant them that.
Maybe. I did watch it after the fact, but I did still go in cold. Of course that's still not the same as watching it broadcast week to week.

I don't really feel I was fucked with by the show makers, and I did feel it served a real purpose. Even if its one I didn't wholly enjoy and feel no need to rewatch.

Rainfall

Validated User
Maybe. I did watch it after the fact, but I did still go in cold. Of course that's still not the same as watching it broadcast week to week.

I don't really feel I was fucked with by the show makers, and I did feel it served a real purpose. Even if its one I didn't wholly enjoy and feel no need to rewatch.
You're welcome to disagree with me, it's not like I'm the final authority on anything. :)

In other news, Aldnoah is still great. They really don't drag things needlessly.

Dropping Argevollen. It's kind of a poor man's Majestic Prince in trying to be the best generic mecha show it can be. And the tech is really weird, no air force at all? Not even hot air baloons? How stupid are those people?

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dropping Argevollen. It's kind of a poor man's Majestic Prince in trying to be the best generic mecha show it can be. And the tech is really weird, no air force at all? Not even hot air baloons? How stupid are those people?
I've watched one and a half episodes of it so far, and...eh. I might give it another episode or two out of sheer stubbornness, but it really does seem about as generic as they come.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Nah, in this case I'm pretty specifically talking about someone fucking with their audience.
Upsetting audience expectations is not trolling. Plot twists are not trolling. Satire is not trolling. Anticlimax is not trolling. Killing Ned Stark isn't trolling, Rosebud being a sled isn't trolling, Spec Ops: The Line isn't trolling, the last episode of Evangelion isn't trolling, Endless Eight isn't trolling. Bad creative decision? Maybe. But I refuse to believe that Kyoani would spend such an enormous amount of time and money on those episodes—and they obviously did; half the fan outrage seems to be that they "wasted" those resources—just so they could titter behind their hands at how stupid the viewers were. Because that's what trolling is. It's making disingenuous statements or arguments with the sole purpose of angering your target. The key concept isn't that you got mad. It's that the troll did it for no reason other than wanting to see you get mad.

I guess the point I am trying to communicate here is that when I see someone call Endless 8 "trolling," it grinds my gears because it conjures up the idea of this ridiculous grade-school lunchroom conspiracy, where the makers of the show set out to humiliate the audience and make them feel stupid. When I'm pretty sure they what they actually did was commit to an off-the-wall idea that unfortunately fell flat for a number of viewers.

Rainfall

Validated User
The key concept isn't that you got mad. It's that the troll did it for no reason other than wanting to see you get mad.
Yes, I know.

I guess the point I am trying to communicate here is that when I see someone call Endless 8 "trolling," it grinds my gears because it conjures up the idea of this ridiculous grade-school lunchroom conspiracy, where the makers of the show set out to humiliate the audience and make them feel stupid. When I'm pretty sure they what they actually did was commit to an off-the-wall idea that unfortunately fell flat for a number of viewers.
The difference between your perspective and mine is that you seem to think they didn't know how a large chunk of their audience would react to this and I think they both expected and hoped for the Otaku to lose their shit. Lots of free publicity and discussion for the upcoming Disappearance movie.

And it worked. Guys like me are a tiny, tiny minority. No lasting damage has been done to the franchise and we're still talking today about Endless Eight!

It's no small feat, think we'll be talking about Sword Art online in five years?

EDIT: Anyway, finished with the tangent. Point of it all is that I won't be watching Tokyo ESP due to personal tastes clashing with my past experience with that particular universe. I can live with people not thinking I'm being 100% fair, I do wish for that show to succeed, but I'm fairly certain it can be successful without me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom