• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In Which I Review] New anime, Summer 2014

Thrund

Validated User
AFAIK it wasn't KyoAni's decision. They were told to do it that way by the publishers of the LNs (and the suggestion may even have come from the original author). The only trolling they did was to animate every episode from scratch, when the people in charge obviously expected them to re-use footage and save money.

Shay Guy

Validated User
The difference between your perspective and mine is that you seem to think they didn't know how a large chunk of their audience would react to this and I think they both expected and hoped for the Otaku to lose their shit. Lots of free publicity and discussion for the upcoming Disappearance movie.

And it worked. Guys like me are a tiny, tiny minority. No lasting damage has been done to the franchise and we're still talking today about Endless Eight!
The E8 discs sold way below the standard previous volumes had set. The publisher absolutely took a hit on those, and I strongly doubt the Disappearance movie -- announced at the end of the 28-episode run -- sold any better than it would have otherwise. And there's been no more material animated since, though in fairness, that's mainly because Tanigawa's writing has trickled to a halt.

AFAIK it wasn't KyoAni's decision. They were told to do it that way by the publishers of the LNs (and the suggestion may even have come from the original author). The only trolling they did was to animate every episode from scratch, when the people in charge obviously expected them to re-use footage and save money.
This.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Blade Dance of the Elementalers (Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Adaptation of a fantasy light novel series.

Characters

Kamito, our generic male lead. He's the second guy to ever manage taming an elemental spirit, and the first one was known as the Demon Lord or somesuch. Subtle foreshadowing ! Anyway, he's a complete anomaly in a world where Elementalers are usually female.

Greyworth, headmaster of the Elemental Academy of the same name, has specifically headhunted him so that he can participate in the next Blade Dance tournament.

Claire Rouge (sic) is the first student he meets on the grounds, and it's irritation at first sight. Impulsive, reckless, she feels humiliated by their first contact, and is bent on having him contract with her as her slave to offset this.

Other major characters introduced here include the head of the Student Guard Corps, the archer who also wants him for herself, and the teacher irritated by everyone's antics. (He's been put into the problem student class, because of course.) Also, a maid. "Why is there a maid ?" Wise words, Kamito, wise words.

Production Values

Very cheap indeed. The character designs are especially bad and generic. And of course, tons of lame fanservice : it starts with a "caught bathing naked" scene and goes on with multiple panty shots throughout the episode.

Nice score, though.

Overall Impression

Oh, dear. This is by far the worst thing I've watched this season. Even Momo Kyun Sword and Akame ga Kill weren't this irritating and facepalm-inducing. The beyond-generic plot is merely an excuse to string along a series of cliché harem antics, with characters who grow more and more annoying as the episode goes.

This is awful on just about every level. Avoid like the plague.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Blade Dance of the Elementalers (Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance)

Overall Impression

Oh, dear. This is by far the worst thing I've watched this season. Even Momo Kyun Sword and Akame ga Kill weren't this irritating and facepalm-inducing. The beyond-generic plot is merely an excuse to string along a series of cliché harem antics, with characters who grow more and more annoying as the episode goes.

This is awful on just about every level. Avoid like the plague.
Sounds terrible. In my experience, the only thing that has a hope of saving this sort of set-up is if the characters manage to be more than a collection of clichés. It seems that this one failed in that.

Rainfall

Validated User
So, after griping about things I don't like for days ( :p ), I gave Blue Spring Ride a try.

... And it's surprisingly good! It's not usually my genre but the writing and drama are surprisingly spot on. It's one of the few anime shows that actually get what being a teenager is like.

CaButler

Validated User
I've read some of the manga chapters made for Blade Dance of the Elementalers and... it reminds me too much of The Familiar of Zero.

And I hated that show.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I read the no Blade Dance (I loath that English translation of the title) Light Novels and really enjoyed them. Will eb watching the anime soon.

Icarium

Validated User
It has its similarities yes. Except it's funnier in the LN. I honestly am not sure why I like the LN, it pushes the buttons that normally annoy the hell out of me. The banter is just funny.

Rose Embolism

Validated User
Not elemental enough. If they'd gone with "Blade Dance of the Elementalests," they'd have been only one letter away from a correct-sounding translation!
I thought it was supposed to be a cross between "elements" and "mouseketeers". Which would probably be a better concept. "My mouse ear hat channels the power of FIRE!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom