• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Review] New anime, Summer 2019

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Demon Girl Next Door (Machikado Mazoku) adapts a comedy 4-panel manga series about a high school girl who suddenly inherits the demon powers of her bloodline and is told by her mother that she must defeat the local magical girl. But given that our protagonist is small, unathletic and malnourished (the demonic family are apparently cursed into poverty), while the magical girl can punch trucks to a standstill, this looks like quite an uphill battle.

What helps develop the joke are the reactions of everyone else. Her classmates take the news in stride and are weirdly supportive in obnoxious ways. The magical girl herself (who hasn't bothered keeping a secret identity since at least a couple years before when she saved the world), while entirely deadpan, makes a point of acknowledging her and even encouraging her efforts with some helpful advice. Our heroine sees this as pity and mockery, but I get the impression that she's quite lonely and appreciates somebody engaging with her at her level (however ineffectually) instead of worshipping her from afar. And the logical conclusion is that they'll be dating before either of them realize it, of course.

Not all of the jokes land, but it's swiftly-paced enough to carry over the duds ; and the hit rate increases as soon as the magical girl shows up. I'm not sure whether the basic gag can sustain a whole series, but I'm definitely willing to give it a few more episodes.

Out noitaminA show this season is Given, adapting a Boys' Love manga series about high-schoolers playing rock music. This isn't the timeslot's first brush with this type of content, of course (cf. Antique Bakery in particular), but it's been a while.

Our protagonist took on playing the guitar when he was younger mostly because he enjoyed the challenge ; now that he's mastered it, he's growing bored. Which he when he randomly meets a total newbie who's impressed enough by his skills to ask for his teaching. Our grumpy protagonist rebuffs him, but playing for the new guy did push him to play to his best (impressing his band mates) ; and he's obviously grown obsessed with the newbie after the later drops off the map for a few days.

So far their relationship isn't quite yet played as romantic, but there's definitely room for it to get there sooner or later. I'm not entirely sure about their chemistry (the newbie's clingy enthusiasm would have rubbed me the wrong way, and I just can't see the appeal), but there's no denying that their meeting left a big impression on both, however loathe our protagonist is reluctant to admit it.

It's not a particularly pretty show, although I appreciate the animation team stretching themselves for the musical sequences. The soundtrack is pretty rocking too, although maybe going a bit overboard on some dialogue scenes.

Anyway, this is decently entertaining. I'm not sure how the romance angle with work into the story (although I was glad to be made aware that there's no rape whatsoever involved, which is always welcome), but I'm willing to see how it goes forward.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And now for my final review before I scamper off on vacation : Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? (Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka?), adaptation of a series of light novels. It's the common "transported into a MMORPG" setup, with the twist that our generic jerkass teenage protagonist is (to his surprise and horror) accompanied by his overenthusiastic mom. And despite not having played any RPG since the original Dragon Quest, sh's somehow much better at it than him.

It really looks like the system is rigged in her favour on purpose, though. While Ms. Exposition (an always welcome deadpan Satomi Arai) claims that this is merely the beta for a new MMORPG our heroes randomly got selected for, it's strongly hinted that part of the point is to make families closer together. Or something. It's not like they bother to explain anything to our male lead (and blatantly bribe him with loot to distract him from asking too many questions), although it sounds like his mother got a more detailed briefing offscreen.

So far, the joke works. The protagonist is a complete tool, but that's the point ; and his mother is charming enough for the audience to readily take her side. The game itself is amusingly bare-bones and barely functional, which is fun if you're up for yet another round of lampooning the usual clichés.

I laughed a lot ; I'm in.

No full review for A Certain Scientific Accelerator (Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator) ; while it does recap the really major points of the premise and the main character beats for Accelerator, Last Order and the Misaka clones, it really requires a degree of familiarity with his subplot from the various Index series to really enjoy. (I have to say I can't quite place who the injured lady in the hospital is supposed to be, despite the show assuming I can remember her.) It's fun, although of course a lot will depend on your tolerance for Accelerator's attitude and Last Order's "cute" speech patterns.

Rainfall

Validated User
I was gonna avoid the Mom Isekai like the plague, for obvious reasons. But now I feel obliged to check it out.

I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you, Jhiday.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
No full review for A Certain Scientific Accelerator (Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator) ; while it does recap the really major points of the premise and the main character beats for Accelerator, Last Order and the Misaka clones, it really requires a degree of familiarity with his subplot from the various Index series to really enjoy. (I have to say I can't quite place who the injured lady in the hospital is supposed to be, despite the show assuming I can remember her.) It's fun, although of course a lot will depend on your tolerance for Accelerator's attitude and Last Order's "cute" speech patterns.
Yeah. I pretty much loath Accelerator, but like Last Order quite a bit. Its kind of funny really how every Index-verse show has a character who kind puts me off a bit to varying degrees (Index, Kuroko and Accelerator). The first two I can look past, but its seems bit more of a struggle with Accelerator for some reason.

Packrat

Validated User
I did some pausing when the stat screens were flicked past in the Mom Isekai and she is hilariously overpowered. The idiot teenage character has Strength 3 or something but hers was 401.

Top Bottom