• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2010-2011

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Y'all are actually making me interested in checking this Precure series out. (I saw the first series a while ago, which was okay but bland, and didn't give me any incentive to check more out.)

Are the mascots less annoying than usual ?

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, they're kind of annoying, but they do fade into the background. There are a couple of focus episodes where they're a bit grating.

It's a long series so there's necessarily a lot of villain of the week-ness, but the overall plot does keep coming along at a good pace, and all the main cast and villains are solid and well written. The art and character designs are great, and the fight sequences are better than those in most shounen shows.

MadMac

Validated User
I actually kinda liked episode 4 of Zombie, even though the criticisms are completely valid. (The Yu revelation could have been handled a lore more deftly to avoid feeling hammy, for instance.) Also the ending was a real wtf moment.

Haruna is rather growing on me, though. "No Aikawa, you mustn't become any cuter!"

Dragon Crisis #4: An Anglican Dragon Slayer named George shows up. Really, show? I dont mind you digging into other cultures for ideas, in fact I applaud it, but at least change some of the names.
You know what this show reminds me of now? Karin. No, seriously. Karin is not a bad show by any means, and the premise has some promise, but it never really does anything with it or stretches itself beyond what you would expect. So far Dragon Crisis is proving itself likewise impressively average, and for some reason I find that fascinating enough to keep watching.

Last edited:

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Well, they're kind of annoying, but they do fade into the background. There are a couple of focus episodes where they're a bit grating.

The art and character designs are great, and the fight sequences are better than those in most shounen shows.
I actually like the fairies. No idea why as I HATED all the other 'cute' sidekicks in the metaseries. (Except for the ferret) Something about the design is just so...adorable in a way the others werent. And then there's Coupe-sama

Having just finished watching Cashern Sins when this started up, there was just a liiiiitle bit of whiplash in my head. :D (They shared character designers)

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Kore wa Zombie Desuka #4 was just a mess. This may be my cold medicine talking, but this felt completely disjointed, and not in a good way.
No, it's not just you. It actually does takes some skill to do a good adaptation between mediums, and I'm given to understand that Zombie was originally a light novel series. Things feel rushed, build up to important events seems rushed, character relationships are presented without the development. At this point they're almost skipping around to hit the high points without anything in between.

Haruhi did an excellent job of adapting a novel series while sticking very close to the source. Slayers did an excellent job of using the novels as a framework while being liberal in the adapting. Zombie seems to be another for the failure bin.

MadMac

Validated User
Haruhi did an excellent job of adapting a novel series while sticking very close to the source. Slayers did an excellent job of using the novels as a framework while being liberal in the adapting. Zombie seems to be another for the failure bin.
I wouldn't call it a failure, (yet) but it does seem to get increasingly disjointed with every episode. I'm not familiar with the source material, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're trying to squeeze too many books into just 13 episodes.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
You know what this show reminds me of now? Karin. No, seriously. Karin is not a bad show by any means, and the premise has some promise, but it never really does anything with it or stretches itself beyond what you would expect. So far Dragon Crisis is proving itself likewise impressively average, and for some reason I find that fascinating enough to keep watching.
I haven't watched episode 4 yet, but episode 3 of Dragon Crisis did get some points from me for going ahead and getting the mutual love declarations on the table and out of the way. Okay, you're the love of each others' life. Now we can avoid (hopefully) any 'will they or won't they' and pretending secondary love intersts have a prayer.

I'm also a little intrigued by how that connects to the opening song, which I've now seen a translation for. It basically says, "I'll do anything and abandon any morality to be with you, so everybody else better watch out".

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, Heartcatch Precure is now on my "to watch" queue. Although I'm not sure I'll give my impressions here, since that'd be getting quite outside the remit of this thread.

Speaking of, did you know there's still new stuff starting to air now ?

--------------------------

Afterschool Pleiades (Houkago no Pleiades)
(6-minute-long webisodes, although since they're released 4 at a time it's a lot like a standard 24-minute episode)

What's it about ?

Magic-powered schoolgirls battle against a wrong-headed prettyboy for fragments of an interstellar drive.

Characters

Subaru, our naive newcomer viewpoint character. A bit slow on the uptake, but not too annoying. Seems naturally gifted for this, to the point of randomly stumbling into the hammer-space rooms where all this stuff is happening (which surprises everyone else). The fourth episode gives a decent reason why.

Aoi, Subaru's "friend" and de facto leader of the girls (technically the "Club President" is the alien blob whose spaceship they are trying to recover the engine's pieces for, but she seems more or less in charge). Very reluctant to bringing Subaru into all this stuff she had hidden from her, but you know how these things go.

The three other girls don't rise above stereotypes : there's a monotone one dressing in witch's clothes for some reason, a kind one and an energetic one.

Minato, the guy, was hit by a fragment (or is it an actual star ?) two years ago and hasn't been right in the head ever since. He wants to gather the engine pieces for his own purposes. Which makes him the de facto baddie.

Production Values

It looks more or less okay, but there are some bits of limited animation here and there that jumped to my eyes. No OP ; the ED is inoffensive fluff playing to production sketches.

Overall Impression

WTF ?

I have to hand it to GAINAX : they find new ways to troll every day. This time, it's not so much the actual contents of the show (a by-the-numbers magical girl series), than the announcement that this is a co-production with SUBARU, of all people. I have absolutely no clue why, apart from the protagonist sharing the company's name, and the logo briefly appearing at the start. If there's any product placement here, I completely missed it.

Anyway, taken at face value, it's a very generic show without much to recommend to it. The setting is slightly puzzling, but that's it. I can't find any clue only whether these four episodes are it all, or if there's any more planned. I know I won't bother to seek it out.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
from wikipedia: "Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster, which in turn inspires the Subaru logo"

can't explain why though..

Scholar and a Brutalman

Validated User
I wouldn't call it a failure, (yet) but it does seem to get increasingly disjointed with every episode. I'm not familiar with the source material, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're trying to squeeze too many books into just 13 episodes.
Reminds me of Daimou, which is a pity. I liked the first few episodes of that.

Top Bottom