• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2010-2011

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While I still think it looks to be a boring return to status quote, found out an interesting tidbit about Suite Precure.

The role of the magical cat is going to be played by Kotono Mitsuishi. Someone in casting had one HECK of a sense of humor, here.
So i watched the first episode of this; it's... pretty average. Not as bad as I'd feared, but not great either. The two leads are fine, but the villains are rubbish - as is the magical cat.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So i watched the first episode of this; it's... pretty average. Not as bad as I'd feared, but not great either. The two leads are fine, but the villains are rubbish - as is the magical cat.
I watched it on a whim this morning, and I'm really not sure I agree with this. I have to say that, despite some questionable choices, I'm liking it better than the six episodes of Heartcatch I've seen so far.

I'm probably doing a write-up later on. But before that...

GOSICK #5 : Okay, I give up defending these mysteries as any good. The whole "mystery thief" deal made me wonder whether they're even trying. At this point, I'm mostly following this out of inertia and some superficial interest in Victorique.

Freezing #5 finally gets around to move the plot forward a bit, although we've still got a lot of "random sadists savagely attack our heroes just because". I'm also a bit apprehensive about the new girl : she's adorable, as nearly all characters voiced by Kana Hanazawa, but in this series that's no protection against random nasty degradation.

Toaru Majutsu no Index II #17 brings back all the supporting cast I care about : Mikoto, MISAKA, Accelerator, Last Order, and everyone who lives on the science side of the setting. I don't care that it's a very disjointed episode that jumps between apparently unrelated subplots like a monkey on crack : THIS is what I watch Index for. More, please.

Star Driver #18 has no mecha fight, and ends up as one of its best episodes. Hint, hint. While there are tons of subplots still kicking around, this is mostly focusing on Keito, a character who's obviously massively important to the plot but barely got any screentime until now. Well, she definitely got my attention now.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
...It's got a catgirl in it. Sure, it's not the traditional kind, but I'm now honor bound to watch it. Considering her teenaged girl form, I'm going to guess she's goes heel-face turn once her jealousy issues are worked out. The tri of badguy have GOT to go, but I think this is the first time we've seen the initial pair of girls REALLY not get along. Looks like that's not going to last, though.

I watched it on a whim this morning, and I'm really not sure I agree with this. I have to say that, despite some questionable choices, I'm liking it better than the six episodes of Heartcatch I've seen so far.

Star Driver #18 has no mecha fight, and ends up as one of its best episodes. Hint, hint. While there are tons of subplots still kicking around, this is mostly focusing on Keito, a character who's obviously massively important to the plot but barely got any screentime until now. Well, she definitely got my attention now.
You'll make Itsuki sad. :(

Loved that episode of Stardriver. The punchline to the karaoke scene had me pausing and rewinding at least 3 times, with louder laughs each time.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
GOSICK #5 : Okay, I give up defending these mysteries as any good. The whole "mystery thief" deal made me wonder whether they're even trying. At this point, I'm mostly following this out of inertia and some superficial interest in Victorique.
Looks like we both managed to be right about Avril.

I like the mysteries better than a lot of viewers seem to. For me it's not that they're supposed to be difficult or 'fair' in the sense of presenting the viewers with a challenge to solve. It's much more in the Sherlock Holmes style where the attraction is watching the detective be one step ahead of everyone else. And to be fair, it's probably tougher to solve them if you're living them than as an uninvolved viewer watching on the screen.

Really, though, was fake-Avril supposed to be a threat? We saw Kujo take on a large man waving around an axe a couple of episodes ago. I kind of figured he'd lay her out with a right cross, Doctor Watson-style. I guess you aren't allowed to do that to girl villains.

Toaru Majutsu no Index II #17 brings back all the supporting cast I care about : Mikoto, MISAKA, Accelerator, Last Order, and everyone who lives on the science side of the setting. I don't care that it's a very disjointed episode that jumps between apparently unrelated subplots like a monkey on crack : THIS is what I watch Index for. More, please.
After not watching since episode 3 or 4, I checked back in for the hell of it. There were a lot of cool characters, but the same basic problem. I don't like Touma, and it pains me to watch characters I do like have their world revolve around him.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In Level E #5, Prince reaches new levels of troll-ness. And I really like the Men In Black-style take on aliens living on Earth. (Although, those are elementary grade students ? Seriously ?)

-------------------

Suite Precure

What's it about ?

The baddies are trying to replace the Melody of Happiness with the Melody of Sorrow, but the good guys in charged stalled them by dispersing the notes of the Melody. It's up to two random schoolgirls to save the day !

Characters

Our heroines, Hibiki the slightly tomboyish sports player and Kanade the honor student/sweet-maker. They have a long history together, but they've been squabbling over petty matters for quite a while. Interestingly, it's Kanade who has the worst temper of the two, although they're both good at saying the wrong thing and regretting it later. Those two have great chemistry in the relatively little screentime they get.

The good guys consist of Queen Exposition Aphrodite, who seems to vaguely rule over stuff, and the cat-thing Hummy, who's dumb as a sack of hammers.

The bad guys consist of evil lord Mephisto (so camp I have trouble taking him seriously as a threat), a trio of singing henchmen that are already horribly irritating despite barely getting three lines in the whole episode, and finally Siren, Hummy's evil counterpart (who can actually transform into a girl). Unlike everyone else in the last two paragraphs, I actually like Siren, as she sounds like the only competent and intelligent person among all those morons. That's charisma for you.

Production Values

Not very good, I fear. Side characters appear lifeless when they don't speak, and the Big Bad's design is so ridiculous it's laughable.

The OP and ED aren't very catchy, which is kinda disappointing in a music-themed series. And the ED's gimmick of having CG models of the girls dance in rhythm slides deep into uncanny valley - it's even more disturbing than the Heartcatch version.

Overall Impression

You know, this ain't so bad. It was a somewhat ballsy move to have the first half of the episode devoted to the overall plot and the two heroines only introduced later on (especially as the overall plot is pretty crap, let's be honest). But it's the little things that make it work : Hibiki and Kanade feel like "real" lapsed friends, and Siren's a promising mini-boss.

The lack of scope of the main plot is worrying, and I'm not sure about the setting (everyone seems to be living in the same partly-magical world, which makes me wonder about the "routine" episodes). But I'm probably keep following it for a few more episodes to get a better sense of it.

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
Hahah. Same here.

I skipped the last story arc, but came back for this episode. The Accelerator / MISAKA stuff was quite enjoyable.

SunnyD

Banned
Sneaking suspicion that the teacher is being pestered by Prince because she's an ex, but then again, the Prince doesn't really need a reason to troll.

Top Bottom