• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2012

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Listen to me, Girls, I'm your father ! (Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!)
(26 episodes)

What's it about ?

A guy in college has to watch after his elder sister's daughters while she's away.

Characters

Yuuta, our male lead. Doesn't show much personality beyond being baffled by how about everyone he knows seems to be trolling him.

Yuki, his sister. She married a man way older, who came with two daughters in tow ; they've had another daughter together who's 3 now. (The dude has no authority whatsoever, as exemplified by the series' title.) She dumps all three of them onto Yuuta for an undisclosed period of time, without even warning him beforehand. Let's just say I don't like her much.

The three nieces are Sora (middle school), who's got a crush on Yuuta ; Miu (elementary school), who's a bit of a smartass ; and Hina, the aforementioned 3-year-old.

Yuuta shares his college flat with Nimura, the mandatory perverted best "friend"... Wait, he's just crashing there on a permanent basis because he wants to keep his actual flat pristine for when he brings back girls ?

Raika, a weird classmate of Yuuta, and his apparent love interest. Even Nimura knows better than trying to approach her. I like her sense of humour, though.

Production Values

About okay.

Overall Impression

This is an anime of two halves. There's the college parts with Nimura & Raika that are quite fun, if not ground-breaking. And then there's the scenes with the daughters, which I don't trust to be handled in a any tasteful way (this is the half with the most panty-shots and fanservice, somehow). The two halves don't really intersect much until the end of the episode, so I have no clue how this is supposed to work out on a regular basis (the college is in a completely different city from Yuki's home !).

I'll give it one more episode to check whether the college parts are as marginalized as I fear, but I'm not hopeful.

(How the heck did this get greenlit for 26 episodes ?)

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Waiting in the Summer
ベタすぎ〜

is this the most overdone trope in anime?
backgrounds are nice though.

Listen to me, Girls, I'm your father ! (Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!)
I wish more series were set in university. I know the reasons, target audience and all that, but still. Broader palette, and less... issues.

Concerning the set up:
Spoiler: Show
Apparently the girls' parents go missing and he takes them in to avoid them being separated as the three girls are all from different marriages

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Daily Lives of High School Boys (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Absurdist comedy starring high school boys trolling each other. (Basically, imagine a gentler Cromartie High School.)

Characters

Tadakuni, the "normal" guy who gets trolled by his friends. (Although he does gives half as much as he receives.) The butt of many jokes, when he's not just protesting how stupid his pals are.

Hidenori, the troll in glasses. He loves taking the piss with a completely straight face. Some parts also have him in rambling monologues obsessing about ridiculously trivial stuff ; which is obviously why they hired Tomokazu Sugita. (And hey, he can do funny voices too !)

Yoshitake, the other troll. His trolling is slightly more outlandish, but really there's little to distinguish him from Hidenori.

Supporting characters showing up so far include Tadakuni's sister (sic), who's way less disturbed by those dudes trying on her underwear than you'd guess ; the Literature Girl (sic, again), whose joke I won't spoil ; and Motoharu, the badass delinquant of the class who's more talk than walk.

Production Values

Well, the mechas are quite well done...

Wait, what ?

Oh, that was just a joke about how this is a Sunrise-Squaresoft collaboration (also included : random RPG sequence, with Tadakuni as the Healer Girl). Anyway, this looks a bit better than most comedy shows where the graphics aren't the selling point anyway.

This episode is made of 5 sketches (plus a pre-OP prologue), 3 of which were aired on the web over the past few weeks as a preview ; it's nice to see them in non-eyebleed-o-vision.

The OP song sounds completely wrong for the show, like some epic shounen show it absolutely isn't. Given that the OP is filled with shots cribed from the shounen-opening cliché list, I assume that's the joke. (The ED song is clearly taking the piss of the conclusion of the 5th sketch.)

Overall Impression

At last, a comedy show that's actually laugh-out-loud funny ! This belongs to the "dialogue grows more and more ridiculous as the sketch goes, until the final punchline" school of comedy, and it's got good enough voice-actors to pull it off. Heck, even the sketches I've already seen were still funny.

The previews had wetted my appetite, and this definitely looks to be as good as I hoped. Definitely a keeper for me.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?
I just paused about 4 1/2 minutes into this. I can't help but think how much more of a personality the protagonist would have if his reaction to being left alone over the summer were in fact, "Hell Yeah! I'm going to invite all my friends over and throw parties and do whatever I please." And then a major running subplot for the whole season could be how difficult (and yet also rewarding) it is living on your own and having to be the adult and take care of all the things the adults usually take care of.

*BAM* Right there, I just improved the show by 100%, because I'm already confident this anime is going to go nowhere near any of that.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Daily Lives of High School Boys (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
the Literature Girl sketch was brilliant.

the only downside is that I can't hear Hidenori's voice without thinking of Gintama.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think I need to watch Thermae Romae a second time, as my cold medicine made me zone out halfway through and I want to be fair to it. For now, let's go with the other show I saw yesterday...

Inu x Boku SS

What's it about ?

A building for the filthy rich where all the tenants each get a devoted "Secret Service" servant. Well, that's the cover story ; the big twist is that all of them are actually (traditional Japanese) monsters. (Well, descendants of monsters, but since they can change for at will it's basically the same thing.)

Characters

Ririchiyo, our female lead, the "Boku" from the title. She is just moving into the place, and doesn't like the idea of having a butler/bodyguard/whatever looking after her. Actually a yuki-onna, which might explain the "ice queen" persona she often affects.

Miketsukami, her bodyguard, the "Inu" from the title. And literally too, as he's a "dog with several tails" monster. His behaviour is very dog-like indeed, frequently embarassing her.

Renshou, Ririchiyo's childhood friend/big brother figure. He's got a big tattoo that gives him a bad boy look. Mostly there so she has another person to talk to on a rational level. (He's really a scroll-like monster.)

A couple of other master-servant pairs, including a deathly-timid (and actual death spirit) girl who's very convenient to get rid of burglars.

Production Values

About average. The show has a tendency to shift into super-deformed mode for each punchline, which might have worked if the jokes were actually funny. (Also, the narration at the beginning randomly showing up on the screen just looks pretentious.)

Overall Impression

Oh, dear. This show has exactly one joke (Ririchiyo finds her servant embarassing), and I was already losing patience when we got to the twist. Which is mildly interesting in itself, but not enough to redeem the annoying lead characters and the gratuitous master/servant fetishism.

One episode was enough, thank you.

JELEINEN

Sizzler Black Squadron
Validated User
Inu x Boku SS
I kind of liked this one, especially the female lead. I liked the detail that she really hates the persona she's created for herself and I thought the dialog of her inner monologues was well written (and her actress does an excellent job too). The jokes being limited is fine too because I'm under the impression that this isn't really supposed to be an entirely humorous show; more of a drama with the occasional comedy relief.

Top Bottom