• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2012

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like her reactions when she gets knock out of her shell - luckily it happens often because her usual persona is pretty irritating. My main gripe is the bodyguard, actually, as he's got all the personality of a cardboard box.

I'm not sure Ririchiyo is a yuki-onna; the one that appeared was the female bodyguard. there's a shot of her in the ED carrying a Hannya mask.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
THERMÆ ROMÆ
(6 13-minute episodes, aired two at a time to fill Black Rock Shooter's noitaminA timeslot until February)

What's it about ?

A 2nd-century Roman architect marvelling about Japanese public baths.

Characters

Lucius, our protagonist, is a traditionalist architect who has a bit of a crisis of faith after falling out of favour, somehow ends up in modern Japan (or maybe is it a dream ?), and brings back some revolutionary ideas to design better public baths.

He gets a token friend, Lucius, as a soundboard for exposition, but mostly he monologues endlessly.

Production Values

This seems to have no budget whatsoever. The animation is beyond crude, frankly ; most web-broadcasted shorts I've watched over the last couple of years look better than this.

There are random oddities at times (non-standard character designs, including a cyborg dude in ancient Rome for some reason) that are probably just there for effect, although I'm not sure what the expected effect is ("funny" anachronisms ?).

Overall Impression

Uh. I've watched the first episode twice, just to be sure I hadn't missed something. But no, I just can't find the joke funny. I think I can see what they were going for, (and commend its makers for doing something so different from usual anime fare) but it just doesn't work for me.

It doesn't help that we basically get an (inexplicably blonde) foreigner who's rude, racist and backwards-minded (ahah, Romans had slaves) discovering the awesomeness of Japan. Er...

Yeah, I think I'll give this timeslot a pass until February.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Second week thoughts !

I've dropped Kill Me Baby. It's mildly funny, but not enough for me to stick with it.

Ditto for Brave 10 : all the wit and self-awareness of the first episode seems to have been lost in favour of more fighting. No thanks.

Symphogear basically went the most predictable route I could imagine with its second episode. It's not bad, and some of the jokes (such as Tsubasa having Hibiki handcuffed back to the base for no good reason) are quite funny, but it now looks way less ambitious than it did at first.

I'm surprised I haven't dropped The Knight in the Area and Papakiki yet, but that's mostly because they're still in "setup" mode and I'm slightly curious about the actual status quo they're gonna end up with.

Good thing Shinbo claimed he wanted to keep the pace up with Nisemonogatari by making it only 11 episodes long, because after two episodes we've yet to see anything actually happen. Cast reintroduction is nice and good (especially as they somehow managed to make Nadeko actually interesting), but I hope the plot shows up soon.

I didn't expect it, but I'm on the verge of dropping Another. The clumsy direction just makes it hard to take seriously.

Daily Lives of High School Boys remains the funniest show of the season by far, despite my once again having already watched half the skits in previews. No matter ; the RPG, Mirror Girl and Underwear Thief segments are still as hilarious the second time around, and the School Tradition one was a hoot too.

And what the heck happened to Guilty Crown ? Up to now, it's merely been yet another disappointing dystopia series with flat characters ; the latest episode has sent it straight to WTF-land. I can just about buy Shu's forgotten childhood friendship with Gai ; that's stupid, but par for the course for the series. Ditto for Shu's previously-unmentioned sister, which is about consistent with the terrible continuity of characterization from episode to episode so far (see also : Inori's popstar fame making no sense whatsoever at this stage). But the big thing revealed this episode ? Those eye tentacles ? What. The. Heck ? This is the kind of crap we usually see at the end of series where the writers just give up, but there's still 10 episodes to go here. I'll admit I'm now just watching this for the trainwreck factor.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
I didn't expect it, but I'm on the verge of dropping Another. The clumsy direction just makes it hard to take seriously.
I was so put off that I actually went and looked at a late chapter of the manga just to see if the actual horror plotline is anything unique or interesting. No spoilers, but what I saw seemed intriguing enough that I'm going to keep watching.

Daily Lives of High School Boys remains the funniest show of the season by far, despite my once again having already watched half the skits in previews. No matter ; the RPG, Mirror Girl and Underwear Thief segments are still as hilarious the second time around, and the School Tradition one was a hoot too.
I'm not finding this quite as funny as everyone else, and I'm not sure why.

And what the heck happened to Guilty Crown ? Up to now, it's merely been yet another disappointing dystopia series with flat characters ; the latest episode has sent it straight to WTF-land. I can just about buy Shu's forgotten childhood friendship with Gai ; that's stupid, but par for the course for the series. Ditto for Shu's previously-unmentioned sister, which is about consistent with the terrible continuity of characterization from episode to episode so far (see also : Inori's popstar fame making no sense whatsoever at this stage). But the big thing revealed this episode ? Those eye tentacles ? What. The. Heck ? This is the kind of crap we usually see at the end of series where the writers just give up, but there's still 10 episodes to go here. I'll admit I'm now just watching this for the trainwreck factor.
What the hell? Eye tentacles? I dropped GC around episode 7 or 8. Makes me want to check back in and see what's going on. Is Inori being revealed as some sort of inhuman monster dressed up as a girl? Because that was my theory about her.

Also, you don't mention it in your second episode thoughts, but my hands-down favorite is turning out to be Moretsu Pirates. It's just hitting everything I want in the science fiction, thought out space opera universe, vein. I even forgive it the maid cafe. And the protagonist actually sells me that she's leader material.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
And what the heck happened to Guilty Crown ? Up to now, it's merely been yet another disappointing dystopia series with flat characters ; the latest episode has sent it straight to WTF-land. Ditto for Shu's previously-unmentioned sister, which is about consistent with the terrible continuity of characterization from episode to episode so far (see also : Inori's popstar fame making no sense whatsoever at this stage). But the big thing revealed this episode ? Those eye tentacles ? What. The. Heck ? This is the kind of crap we usually see at the end of series where the writers just give up, but there's still 10 episodes to go here. I'll admit I'm now just watching this for the trainwreck factor.
They hinted at his sister before, as well as the fact he had some personal involvement with whatever started the entire shebang. But yeah, that was odd. And creepy. And WTF. Although the alien virus turning out to be some sort of Lovecraftian, mind altering entity with reproduction anxiety wasnt exactly expected.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's slightly annoying waiting for Another to get to the point. All this stuff with the MC's classmates never quite telling him what the deal is, and so on. As against that, the sound design is awesome. I haven't watched something so interesting to listen to since Ghost Hound. I also appreciate how the show continues to eschew cheap shocks.

The second episode of Papa no Iukoto was quite affecting. I've read a bit of the manga so I knew the general setting, and I was kind of dreading the reveal, but it was handled quite well. The manga itself, while it could stand to loose a bit on the fanservice front, more than once left me wondering why it's so dusty in here.

Daily Lives of High School Boys just gets more and more epic. Literature Girl is probably the funniest character for me.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What the hell? Eye tentacles? I dropped GC around episode 7 or 8. Makes me want to check back in and see what's going on. Is Inori being revealed as some sort of inhuman monster dressed up as a girl? Because that was my theory about her.
Not quite.

Spoiler: Show
The big twist in #12 was that Patient Zero for the Apocalypse Virus was Mana, Shu's older sister. The baddies has somehow managed to preserve some of Mana as an abominable... thing which can best be described as an hydra with giant eyes at the end of each tentacle limb. It's thoroughly creepy.

Inori is a clone of Mana made by the baddies so they can transfer her into a "normal" body, and thus control her power. It's not explained how Gai got her, but hey, Gai's awesome enough to get away with this kind of offscreen badassitude.

Also, you don't mention it in your second episode thoughts, but my hands-down favorite is turning out to be Moretsu Pirates. It's just hitting everything I want in the science fiction, thought out space opera universe, vein. I even forgive it the maid cafe. And the protagonist actually sells me that she's leader material.
I didn't mention it because I don't have anything new to say about it. Fun little show.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Spoiler: Show
The crystal cancer seems to be linked to some sort of alien reproduction/extermination cycle. There's a REALLY creepy bit in flashback where she starts trying to seduce her little brother with talks about starting a new human race. Which leads into why the baddies are trying to revive her in the 'now'.

Shay Guy

Validated User
I think I'll start watching Moretsu Pirates. "Just plain fun" isn't something I watch a lot of anime for; I trend toward geek-cred and reputation for "intelligence." Granted, that approach has gotten me Nanami Kiryuu's antics, so it might be working out.

Mejiro_Night

Validated User
It's slightly annoying waiting for Another to get to the point. All this stuff with the MC's classmates never quite telling him what the deal is, and so on. As against that, the sound design is awesome. I haven't watched something so interesting to listen to since Ghost Hound. I also appreciate how the show continues to eschew cheap shocks.
The MC does seem oddly oblivious - good on him for going to the nurse to dig up info (patient confidentiality? What's that?) but when your classmates are talking about some vague secret in front of you and have someone who's sole job is to run damage control on... something... then just ask them WTF is going on. It's less rude than asking someone why they wear an eyepatch, at least.

Top Bottom