• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2012

Karnesdorff

Retired User
The MC does seem oddly oblivious - good on him for going to the nurse to dig up info (patient confidentiality? What's that?) but when your classmates are talking about some vague secret in front of you and have someone who's sole job is to run damage control on... something... then just ask them WTF is going on. It's less rude than asking someone why they wear an eyepatch, at least.
You'd think his classmates would be a bit more forthcoming if it was that important, since he's got more information from eyepatch girl than anyone else combined. Also, as time goes on, the OP sounds more and more out of place to me. It sounds more like something that should be the OP from a show based on something like Castlevania or maybe Disgaea.

Spoiler: Show
I cringed a little when that girl was falling on the stairs and impales herself eye-first on her umbrella. Ouch.

K.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, at least something happened in the third episode of Another. It nearly makes up for hearing the "26 years ago" story again. Twice. (Yes, it's a good urban legend, but come on !)

Hey, the plot has finally shown up in Nisemonogatari ! Granted, it's mostly through a new dude appearing and an explanation for that bizarre Senjougahara prologue, and nothing has actually happened yet, but it does feel like things are starting to get moving. About time !

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Well, at least something happened in the third episode of Another. It nearly makes up for hearing the "26 years ago" story again. Twice. (Yes, it's a good urban legend, but come on !)

Hey, the plot has finally shown up in Nisemonogatari ! Granted, it's mostly through a new dude appearing and an explanation for that bizarre Senjougahara prologue, and nothing has actually happened yet, but it does feel like things are starting to get moving. About time !
But lots has happened, witty scenes is what the show is. And that is love, just like Hitagi is.

On that note it seems my fifth Bakemongatrai figma has shipped from HLJ. I may be biased. And where the fuck is a Hanagawa announcement max factory.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
I'm glad no one was around when I was watching Nisemonogatari this weekend. Eeesh. I mean, they didnt really show anything, but that was an uncomfortable viewing moment for me right there.

KoboldLord

Validated User
Yeah, I felt that way too. I kept craning my neck around to see if anybody was watching over my shoulder.

It was also jarring because that character has never had a scene like that before. I wasn't originally even certain it was the same character, considering her radically different behavior with minimal explanation.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, awkward. I'm not sure I like Hanekawa's new look, either.

I feel like I'm close to dropping Another - the constant cutting away/interruption before someone mentions something important is getting really tiresome, and if they keep killing off supporting characters the moment they get some screentime it's going to be a really boring series as the MC just can't carry the show on his own.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Yeah, I felt that way too. I kept craning my neck around to see if anybody was watching over my shoulder.

It was also jarring because that character has never had a scene like that before. I wasn't originally even certain it was the same character, considering her radically different behavior with minimal explanation.
Well, from her dialogue I get that it was something that the old man did/ordered that was keeping her silent, and it was him leaving that let her express her more true feelings. But hey, she still apparently likes donuts.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Black★Rock Shooter
(8 episodes, noitaminA)

What's it about ?

Melodrama about growing friendship between junior high school girls... interspersed with symbolically-linked action sequences starring their mute alternate personae in a psychedelic fantasy world.

The concept started from a supercell music video, then got a pilot OVA in 2010 ; this is another version that's supposed to be telling the story properly.

Characters

Mato Kuroi, our exuberant protagonist. Her "introspective" narration ("The sky is blue !") suggests she might not be the brightest bulb in the bunch. She's quick to make friends... whether they actually want to or not. (And she's aware she might be a bit too pushy on that front.)

Yomi Takanashi, an asocial classmate whom Mato takes a shine to. They do bond quickly (over a children's illustrated book, of all things), but the problem is that Yomi is lorded over by...

Kagari, a tyrannical disabled girl who comes over regularly to her house. Let's not mince words : she's the villain of the piece, with overblown musical cues driving the point home.

The supporting cast include Mato's generic best friend, and a school counsellor (wait, those actually exist in anime ?).

Mato's alter ego in the fantasy world is the title Black★Rock Shooter, a scantily-clad action chick who can transform her hand into a giant cannon-gun. Besides everything in the scenery trying to kill her, she turns out to be fighting what are obviously the alter egos of Kagari and Yomi. It's not very clear yet, but the little I remember from the OVA heavily hinted that the "real" scenes were flashbacks set before Mato got access to the fantasy world.

Production Values

Obviously, most of the animation budget went to the fantasy action sequences, which are very impressive indeed, and always clear to follow despite their insanity. The "normal world" sequences are obviously more pedestrian, although the body language remains good throughout.

And obviously, most of the soundtrack comes courtesy of supercell. It works out quite well, I think.

Overall Impression

Well, that was quite better than I expected. I wasn't a fan of the original OVA (the "normal" sequences were just trite and boring there), but this is an improvement on nearly all fronts. While not outstanding on its own right, the "normal" thread is just entertaining enough not to detract too much from the "fantasy" action, and much better at providing context for it than the first time around. (Although Kagari might be a bit too much on the nose to entirely work as an antagonist.)

I'm definitely going to follow this one.

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
Well, that was quite better than I expected. I wasn't a fan of the original OVA (the "normal" sequences were just trite and boring there), but this is an improvement on nearly all fronts. While not outstanding on its own right, the "normal" thread is just entertaining enough not to detract too much from the "fantasy" action, and much better at providing context for it than the first time around.
Well, the OVA appears to have had an entirely different plot in terms of the "normal" thread. There was no Kagari, for a start.

Top Bottom