• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2013

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Did Smile ever top the Candy-Miyuki bodyswap episode for sheer awesome?
Oh, yes. There were some good episodes after the halfway point. The GameWorld one (29) was kick-ass, and then there's the goddarn crack-y ones (35 : the Precure become a giant robot ! 37 : the baddies run for Student Council President ! 39 : the composite fairy tale episode !... And I'm leaving out the ones where they turn into fairies and kids...)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And they keep coming !

But I won't bother with a full review for Straight Title Robot Anime (Chokkyuu Hyoudai Robot Anime). Notionally it's supposed to be the first anime series fully animated with Vocaloid-type software, but that just makes it look cheap and generic. As for the story, it's basically three "girl" androids failing to grasp the concept of humour for 12 minutes. I don't just mean it's tedious and unfunny (although it certainly is) : that's really the plot. (They're trying to recreate human humour long after humanity has vanished.)

I wouldn't recommand watching this crap to anyone.

Meagen Image

Validated User
I've been trying to get through Amnesia because hot guys in outragous outfits is always awesome, but it's been a chore. I can only describe Heroine as "agressively bland". Inserting my own variants of her thoughts, MST3K style, into any scene where the camera lingers on her saying nothing makes it slightly better.

Spoiler: Show
We've been going through a bunch of alternate universes, in each of them Heroine apparently had a pre-existing relationship with one of the guys. Also, Cafe Manager has a different personality in each one. (So far we've had Super-Friendly/Camp Gay(?), Drill Seargant, and Laconic.)

It's interesting to see how the current boyfriend reacts to Heroine having her personality wiped out overnight. Shin guesses almost instantly and confirms it with a few simple tests in conversation, Kent analyzes the data and eventually comes to the same conclusion, and Ikki... doesn't really notice, or just accepts going from "you damn playboy" to "uh, um, huh?" as a natural consequence of dating him.

Top Bottom