• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2013

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
You say 'the Manga' but what I'm seeing is that there are five simultaneous manga, four of which are just straightforward retellings of the same story in different styles - either more comedic or more dramatic or whatever.

So in addition to that version, there is also:
Spoiler: Show

It looks like the series is closer to the second out of those three, which is the more 'serious' take on the concept, I guess. That one doesn't have the joke about accounting. So it's not purely an issue with the anime adaptation.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As someone with absolutely no preconception about how the story should go, I found the Demon Lord's infatuation with the Hero made her even more of a nerd than just the pure economics.
I mean, just the Hero body-pillow...

It's clear that her initial attraction is mostly superficial, to the Hero as a legendary figure instead of the actual person (in the same way that the Hero was about to "defeat the Demon Lord"). Once the episode found the time to make that point clear, I had no problem with it.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cuticle Detective Inaba (Cuticle Tantei Inaba)
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

The wacky adventures of a werewolf private detective.

Characters

Inaba, the title detective werewolf. Complete immature goofball. Aside from his (wildly inconsistent) tracking abilities, he can also "power up" and extract ridiculous power from strands of hair. His single point of angst is regarding his missing younger brother, and even that is played for laugh.

The less said about Yuuta, his scarily violent cross-dressing assistant, the better.

Kei, his other assistant, gets the "only sane man" role. Alas, I can't see his sanity surviving more than a couple episodes of this.

Ogino, an actual police detective who knew Inaba before the latter left the force, and brings him new cases too tough (or too bizarre) for the police to solve. His pained attempts to desperately keep the plot on track aren't too successful.

Our villain this episode (and apparently the long-term nemesis) is Don Valentino, a counterfeiting goat. His minions include a devoted dude with a paper bag over his head, and a dominatrix assassin.

Production Values

Not very good. The animation is basic, and the whole thing looks cheap on every level.

Overall Impression

Let's not beat around the bush : this is a completely insane and surreal show, throwing more and more weirdness in as it goes. It's never afraid to be stupid or mind-bendingly bizarre for the sake of a joke.

The problem is that it's not really funny. Most of the jokes don't work, either because they're oversold or because they're just plain bad. There are some that do raise a smile occasionally, but the majority are tediously unfunny.

I was ready to cry uncle after five minutes of this. The rest of the episode didn't change my mind, so I'm not recommending watching this. It's just too painful.

SunnyD

Banned
God I loved that dakimura scene of Demon Queen.

Liking the adaptation so far.

Instead of DQ explaining the situation with graphs, we got cut aways to other parts of the setting with first hand POV of the characters we'll get to know. Overall good in its own way.

Still we'll always have the manga.

Last edited:

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This obviously whets my appetite for Kizumonogatari (the prequel people are actually looking for, describing "the Vampire incident on Spring Break" we've only very briefly flashbacked to until now), whenever that comes out ; and the "second season", apparently slated for later this year.
the "second season" could be Nekomonogatari (White). I've read the fan-translated light novel and it's very, very good.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
You say 'the Manga' but what I'm seeing is that there are five simultaneous manga, four of which are just straightforward retellings of the same story in different styles - either more comedic or more dramatic or whatever.
Naturally, when we say "the manga," we are talking about the best one. ;)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
the "second season" could be Nekomonogatari (White).
Not exactly ; the "second season" is explicitly a precise set of novels - Nekomonogatari (White), but also Kabukimonogatari, Hanamonogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari, and Koimonogatari. The latest stated plans were to adapt the whole of them as a 26-episode TV series. (More details here)

Of course, since Kizumonogatari completely failed to materialize at any point in 2012, I'm taking the 2013 release date with a grain of salt.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My Girlfriend and Childhood Friend Fight Too Much (Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru)
(13 episodes)

What's it about ?

High school harem romantic comedy.

(Adapted from light novels, as you can guess by the ridiculously long and plain title.)

Characters

Eita, our protagonist. He's been badly burned by both his parents walking out of his life after finding love elsewhere, and thus doesn't want to hear about any romance whatsoever. He'd rather concentrate on his studies, thank you.

Chiwa, his very annoying childhood friend. The kind that now stalks him relentlessly and regularly invites herself for meals. I get the notion that he mostly tolerates her because chasing her off would involve too much energy.

Natsukawa, the beautiful and ultra-popular girl in his class. Like him, she has no interest in romance, and she's getting tired of getting proposed once a day ; her solution is to use him as a fake boyfriend so as to finally get some peace. She's somehow got her hand on his embarrassing diary, so it's not like she's got any say in the matter...

There are two other girls featured prominently in the OP and preview artwork ; maybe it's related to that club mentioned in the next-episode preview.

Production Values

Perfectly okay as far as visuals go ; the main distinguishing feature is very bright, pastel colours. The score is nearly entirely crap, always slightly out of place and emphasizing the artificiality of the scene breaks.

It's telling that Eita is entirely absent from the OP sequence...

Overall Impression

Hum. The first half of the episode was very unengaging indeed, with haphazard storytelling (must Chiwa really be the one to exposit to Eita about Natsukawa ?) and the childhood friend character being obnoxiously annoying. However, it changes radically once the "girlfriend" finally gets to speak : it's Yukari Tamura at her best, cynical, whimsical, and affecting various personae at will. She's clearly this show's most (if not only) entertaining character, and its main selling point.

Is this enough to make the series worth watching ? Er, I'll get back to you about that in an episode or two, once we actually see her interacting with someone besides her beard, and the "plot" gets properly underway (so far, the two title characters have yet to even meet, let alone fight like the title suggests). I'm not too optimistic, but maybe the show will click together then.

In a busier season I wouldn't have bothered with this one, but I'm willing to give it a bit of rope for now.

Top Bottom