[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2013

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Acronym. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.
Which is a bit silly, given how "Maoyuu" is already an abbreviation of the other two words.

Anyway, on to the review of one of the last of this season's new shows...

-----------------------------

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They? (Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?)
(10 episodes)

What's it about ?

Super-powered teens are whisked away to a parallel world devoted to gambling.

Adapted from light novels, as you can guess from the ridiculously plain and long title.

Characters

All three main characters share the same personality : full of themselves and sarcastic. They are quite clever, but they never stop letting us now it. Anyway, there's Izayoi, generic loner antihero with telekinetic powers, who does stuff like begrudgingly "saving" guys being bullied by stereotypical delinquants ; Asuka, authoritarian upper-class snob with hypnosis powers ; and You, a "friend to all animals" who can talk with them.

They're suddenly transported to another world by the Black Rabbit (actually a busty human-rabbit hybrid), who claims to have done that because they're elite and deserve to participate in those high-stakes, high-reward gambles. Obviously she's got ulterior motives, and as they're smarter than her they're quick to call her on it. (They do agree to participate, as they're hopelessly bored by their regular life and this sounds slightly more interesting.)

The gambling world is populated by tons of hybrid races, some of them with superpowers.

Production Values

This looks very cheap, with generic character designs and even more generic fanservice. The OP playing at the end is quite well put together, though.

Overall Impression

This actually ain't as bad as I originally feared after the uninspired "real world" initial scenes and the introduction of the Black Rabbit (who's a face-palm-inducing character on every regard), mostly because of the strength of the three leads' personality. Admittedly they all share the same one, but I liked how they take no shit from the Black Rabbit and cheat like crazy at her game after carefully listening to the rules.

I'm mildly curious on where this is going, and willing to give it one more episode.

-----------------------------

Chihayafuru 2 was off to a good start, with the start of a new school year and the introduction of new club members feeling like a strong enough move forward to avoid repetition of what the first season did, and update the formula somewhat. (To say nothing of complicating the love dodecahedron a bit more.)

Meanwhile, the second episode of MAOYU was okay, I guess. There's still some weird jumps forward in the narrative that don't feel smooth, though. I did like the way the quote in the title played out, which wasn't what I was expecting beforehand at all.

I dropped Mangirl and Encouragement of Climb after their second episodes. The first is just unfunny ; the second is better but way less jokey than I expected, and I just can't care.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East (Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun)
*sigh*
why can't we have any decent fantasy anime? I may check the next couple of episodes in the vain hope it gets better, but..

surprisingly, I quite liked this. On paper it has nothing to commend it, but it was well-executed nothing.

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
hmm, mixed. I like the idea of heros with bad personalities, but it all feels a little too overly contrived. I was half expecting it to be based on a pachinko game or something (wouldn't be the first time). Also, the boy being so overpowered makes the battle a bit lame. We'll see.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
The first episode of Oreshura is pretty good.

EDIT: Ah, and now I see you have reviewed it under a different name, with a different conclusion. Well, I liked it :)

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I dropped it about half way through the second episode. I just find it mean-spirited, and the two main characters are pretty terrible people.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wasn't quite comfortable with it either, and I usually enjoy trolling (cf. my liking of Haganai, which amazingly has nearly the exact opposite dynamic, with the nasty childhood friend bullying the dumb girlfriend).

I think the problem is that she's always getting away with it. Hopefully that's going to change (I did see her realizing she'd gone too far in this episode).

Rabbit

Validated User
I think the problem is that she's always getting away with it. Hopefully that's going to change (I did see her realizing she'd gone too far in this episode).
She's primarily torturing the hero (though I suspect she's testing him more than anything.) She's trying to get him to accept that the friend is more than just a friend.

I love the idea that passages from the notebook can be used out of context as "lessons" and actually sort-of work. I have seen that used before and it's a great in-joke gimmick.

Scholar and a Brutalman

Validated User
One day I hope to see a series where the MC responds to the traditional first-episode blackmail with a hearty "Fuck You" and goes on to live their life without worries.

Really, why do so many series start with the protagonist being drafted or blackmailed into something they don't want to do?

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Really, why do so many series start with the protagonist being drafted or blackmailed into something they don't want to do?
I guess its an easy way to generate conflict between two leads, as well as an easy way to force two leads who wouldn't normally interact alot to be forced to interact and thus sparks are generated.

Top Bottom