[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2013

Scholar and a Brutalman

Validated User
It's just one of my bugbears. "I'll force you to do something for my benefit and you'll end up loving it." When it turned up and Girls Und Panzer, I was shouting at the screen for Miho to tell the Student Council to go fuck themselves.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Let's take a look back after most of Week Two has aired, shall we ?

I've been pleasantly surprised by Senyuu, a series of shorts parodying heroic-fantasy RPG games. Hilariously mean-spirited, and served by some impressive voice work from Yuuichi Nakamura. It's got a shoe-string budget, but that doesn't prevent it from being lots of fun.

Kotoura-san keeps being this season's unexpected dark horse. I'm impressed by how smoothly it alternates between standard 4-panel slapstick gags and much heavier material.

Haganai NEXT had a notable improvement from its first episode, even if it's just by falling back to one of its core strengths, the media parodies. The other half of the episode was less convincing, with an addition to the cast I'm not sure about, and a conversation about tests that just kinda peters out.

Props to Sasami-san@Ganbaranai to clearly outlining what the heck is going on right on its second episode's onset. I'm not sure I'm particularly interested in that story, but the MMORPG incident was at least fodder for some awesome one-liners.

I gave up on Amnesia after the second episode : the prettiness and the quality of the direction can't compensate for the utter dullness of it's protagonist life (no, a random intriguing cliffhanger at the end of each episode isn't enough to make the series interesting).

Love Live! is still a lot of fun, and seems to be moving its plot along at a fair clip. I think a lot of its charm resides in its acknowledgment of how stupid its own premise is.

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Love Live! is still a lot of fun, and seems to be moving its plot along at a fair clip. I think a lot of its charm resides in its acknowledgment of how stupid its own premise is.
"Idol music is shallow trash!"

"Sure, but don't they work hard?"

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Haganai NEXT had a notable improvement from its first episode, even if it's just by falling back to one of its core strengths, the media parodies. The other half of the episode was less convincing, with an addition to the cast I'm not sure about, and a conversation about tests that just kinda peters out.
The introduction of Kate was the bit I liked most, but that's mostly as a person who has read some of the source material wanting to see how they did it. The repeating of the 'getting Sena to read out some salacious game text' had me rolling my eyes a bit and wondering why they were wasting anime frames. Overall I'm less than enthused about how season two has gone so far.

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
Mondaiji Tachi's second episode was fun, but I really can't wait to see when things start going truly insane.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Mondaiji Tachi's second episode was fun, but I really can't wait to see when things start going truly insane.
Indeed. It's light fare, to be certain, but a fun one. The characters are engaging, the story isn't entirely recycled cliches, the animation is pretty good for what's obviously a low budget show, and the fanservice isn't disruptively heavy handed. While it's not one I'd try to push on an infrequent anime watcher, I'm hopeful that it will be entertaining enough to watch through the whole season.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's just one of my bugbears. "I'll force you to do something for my benefit and you'll end up loving it." When it turned up and Girls Und Panzer, I was shouting at the screen for Miho to tell the Student Council to go fuck themselves.
And if she had she and everyone else would have regretted it, since the student council had very good reasons for doing what they did. And of course the role wasn't much of a stretch given Miho's background; she hated panzerfahren because of the way her family practiced it, not because of anything to do with the art itself, and Anzu's just the sort to recognize that fact and capitalize on it.

There are good examples of the trope you mention out there, but GuP isn't one of them.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kotoura-san keeps surprising me (in a good way). I really wasn't expecting that ending ; I'm starting to wonder whether the status quo teased by the OP/ED is going to happen before the tail end of the show.

Speaking of surprise... Blast of the Tempest is getting more and more mental each week. For now I'm subscribing to the Yoshino hypothesis (because it makes way more sense than any other option presented), but I have no clue where this is going. (Well, aside from "Yu-chan" sounding suspiciously familiar.)

And no wonder that second Psycho-Pass OP looked unfinished : we're just now getting the real thing, and it's a beauty. Doesn't harm that this episode was pretty good, with Makishima's new nefarious scheme looking way more threatening and bigger-scale than usual.

Top Bottom