• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[In which I review] New anime, Winter 2014

MadMac

Validated User
Also, for some reason, Asuta's dad as a low-ranking (and completely incompetent) footsoldier.
This must have gone right over my head. But then, I don't remember names until at least the third episode.

Out of this batch Nisekoi is eh, I kinda like it purely for the directing and World Conquest is certainly insane enough to get my attention, even if I have no idea whatsoever where they are going with all this.

The Yann Waters

Under Someone Else's Bed
She's got a bunch of followers : what looks like a dude in full armour ; a woman who can slice a tank in half with her sword ; and another remote-controlling a robot. Also, for some reason, Asuta's dad as a low-ranking (and completely incompetent) footsoldier.
Yasu? I didn't notice anything to suggest that he's related to Asuta. If anything, he might've called the skull-masked fellow his father, unless he wasn't being literal.

But yes, the whole premise seems to be that Kate's bid for world domination did succeed, and the show's about how that came about. Even the opening scene is set in the resulting ruined future, before the story then flashes back to the present day. "Until it was done by one little girl, Kate Hoshimiya, no one knew how terribly glorious an act of conquest was. But at this point, there is not a soul in the world who does not know this, for the world has been conquered."

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yasu? I didn't notice anything to suggest that he's related to Asuta.
Yeah, I probably misinterpreted that. Not that this series is particularly clear on what's going on and how those characters relate to each other.

Had a look to the second episode of Nobunagun. And it turned out to be a notable improvement, as I enjoyed just about everything in it. Great direction, awesome opening action sequence, some actual emotion... And then the next-episode preview doused my enthusiasm. Oh, dear.

(Also had another look at ImoCho, just out of curiosity. Really shouldn't have bothered, it's even worse than the first episode.)

And now, one of the last couple of straggler shows...

Wizard Barristers : Benmashi Cecil
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Magician Lawyers, duh.

Characters

Cecile Sudo, our plucky teenage protagonist, because of course you can't have anyone over 17 starring in such a series. She's a "genius", well-versed in magic law, with a lot of the usual flaws that are supposed to make her endearing : clusmy, later for her first day at work, overenthusiastic... I just want to throttle her. Very late in the episode, we get a glimpse of a second dimension : her mother is incarcerated for some undisclosed magic crime. Too little, too late.

She has a frog familiar, voiced by Norio Wakamoto. Of course she does.

The law partnership she joins if full of one-note clichés : the hardass middle manager, the comprehensive senior partner, the old guy who spouts random "wisdom", the other newbie who's very annoyed by everyone else geeking out over the "genius" and giving her special treatment... Anyway, they all specialize in defending cases of magical crimes, despite the law being very strict against magicians.

The Prosecutor's Office are hardasses, but seem genuinely sincere : magical crimes can escalate horribly (in both casualties and property damage), so there's a really need to nip it in the bud. Less justified, but understandable : the casual prejudice and harrassment against magicians (even when they don't actually do anything) from both the population and the police.

This week's case involves a "customer" killing a bank robber, apparently in self-defense. Cecile has barely started building her case, though, when she gets arrested for using magic against hoodlums attacking her (and they've conveniently disappeared by the time the cops show up).

Production Values

Wow, incredible budget ! This is by far the most lavishly animated series of the season, hands down. Everything from the numerous action sequences to the body language to even the hair gets tons of attention, and always moves fluidly.

Overall Impression

How can you screw you up this premise so badly ? Well, just have it star the most irritating protagonist possible. She sucks off any goodwill the awesome visuals and the fun premise could generate. I loathe Cecile, and I refuse to spend one more minute watching her bumble towards success she doesn't deserve.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Wizard Barristers : Benmashi Cecil
(12 episodes)

What's it about ?

Magician Lawyers, duh.

Overall Impression

How can you screw you up this premise so badly ? Well, just have it star the most irritating protagonist possible. She sucks off any goodwill the awesome visuals and the fun premise could generate. I loathe Cecile, and I refuse to spend one more minute watching her bumble towards success she doesn't deserve.
Glad I didn't have that reaction.

Probably my favourite new non Seki-kun show after one episode. Though its still mostly premise and promise.

Rainfall

Validated User
Glad I didn't have that reaction.

Probably my favourite new non Seki-kun show after one episode. Though its still mostly premise and promise.
Yeah, in fact Cecil has shown more competence than most anime protagonists do in their first episode. She at least knows the law and is a competent investigator.

This show has an interesting amount of nuance. Yes mages are discriminated against,. but mages are also REALLY scary. The normal cops and prosecutors don't like mages, but they're still doing their job competently. How easy would it have been to just kill the train-derailing perp...

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Had a look to the second episode of Nobunagun. And it turned out to be a notable improvement, as I enjoyed just about everything in it. Great direction, awesome opening action sequence, some actual emotion... And then the next-episode preview doused my enthusiasm. Oh, dear.
People have thrown out manga pages that contextualize that one bit in the preview.

Spoiler: Show
One of the guys has the ability to create manikin duplicates of people, and is unzipping one of those. The real Shio shoots it full of holes in the next panel. So while it's harassment, it's not nearly as squicky as it looks.

Shay Guy

Validated User
A few worlds on My sister came! (Onee-chan ga Kita!).
This is a very unfortunate translation.

ANN seems to be loving this one, at least with two of the three reviews.

Kosaki, the nice girl in his class. It's heavily hinted that she owns the key to the locket he exchanged with his childhood love 10 years ago, and she's been testing waters in attempts to confirm that... but actually, that's so obvious I'm expecting some kind of swerve.
If you're curious, here's what's up in the manga.

Spoiler: Show
She has a key that looks like it could go with his locket. So does Chitoge. And so does a third girl who comes into the plot later, and all three are confirmed to have known him 10 years ago. They accidentally damaged the locket, and now it won't open, and none of them know for sure which of them is the girl he made the promise to.

It's settled into something of a holding pattern. The manga itself is perfectly inoffensive, but it's still kind of sad that Naoshi Komi broke 100 chapters with this after Double Arts got canceled in volume 2.

For what it's worth, the WSJ character poll a year ago revealed that Kosaki's actually more popular than Chitoge in Japan (4893 to 4338 votes); shortly thereafter, Viz ran a poll among American readers that had Chitoge more popular by a 2:1 margin.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
For what it's worth, the WSJ character poll a year ago revealed that Kosaki's actually more popular than Chitoge in Japan (4893 to 4338 votes); shortly thereafter, Viz ran a poll among American readers that had Chitoge more popular by a 2:1 margin.
Is that not just the standard Nice/Boring girl v Brash/Bad Personality girl that seems pretty common in terms of Japanese v US tastes? Admittedly with that Japan vote its more balanced than I would expect.

Last edited:

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
World Conquest - Zvezda's Plot (Sekai Seifuku ~Bouryaku no Zvezda~)
(?? episodes)

Overall Impression

What. The. Hell ?

I'll give it that : it's certainly bizarre enough for my curiosity to be needled, and me to try out another episode. It feels like a bizarre satire of... something, but I'm not entirely sure what. It does have some good comedic timing, at least. But unlike, say, KILL la KILL, I can't see any method to the madness. For now, it feels like a random collection of elements that's just kind of a mess.
I don't think it's meant to be a satire, we're just looking at a tokusatsu heroes type show from the other side. The weird costumes, the leader and her 4 generals, her (In the process of forming) army of faceless minions, they're the badguys. It all fits. They even have the ability to form giant monsters. The actual 'heroes' will end up being those two girls we see after the credits.

Top Bottom