[In Which I Review] New anime, Winter 2016

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a rare case of nobody picking it up for streaming at all (as far as I am aware). Heck, no fansubbers have even bothered to have a go at it either, despite two episodes having already come out in Japan.
Sometimes Funimation is late with an announcement, so maybe they've got it. As for fansubbers, I get the feeling that community is pretty tiny these days. Everybody assumes things will get an official sub so not as many folks bother.

KoboldLord

Validated User
As near as I can tell, the majority of fansubbers these days rip directly from Crunchyroll or other official streams and copy-paste their own name into the credits. The were days when they performed a useful service in seeking out series that were unlikely to ever be licensed and bringing them out where they could gather a fanbase, but it seems like those days are long past. Although it could be that I'm just getting old.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As near as I can tell, the majority of fansubbers these days rip directly from Crunchyroll or other official streams and copy-paste their own name into the credits. The were days when they performed a useful service in seeking out series that were unlikely to ever be licensed and bringing them out where they could gather a fanbase, but it seems like those days are long past. Although it could be that I'm just getting old.
Ah, yes. Speed-ripping. The pouty teenager of the anime community. Mostly done because the founder of Crunchyroll went on... I think 4chan, probably, and said the CR was going to make fansubbing obsolete. Which it kind of did, at least in the US. So you've got certain groups who do it strictly so that you don't have to pay for it on CR. Because... I dunno, they need to prove a point? No, wait, for matters of e-peen.

This has rather hilariously meant that I've seen people bitch at them for not having the latest episode out (because Crunchy didn't have the latest episode out).

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Oh some still perform a useful service imo. Though its mostly in relation to things not streamed (such as shows that slip through, ovas and anime movies). Otherwise alot seems to be subbing with better typography and less localised translations at times.

And of course its useful for regions who have no legal options or dont have enough bandwidth to stream video, but can let it sit and download over a day or two.

Last edited:

Ikselam

now featuring transbearency
Validated User
The were days when they performed a useful service in seeking out series that were unlikely to ever be licensed and bringing them out where they could gather a fanbase
It still happens from time to time - Macross Frontier, Symphogear, Precure, most Kyoani shows up until quite recently.

But yes, it's a shrinking niche and there are still things that fall through the cracks. It's just more obvious now that Crunchy/Funi license and simulcast nearly every show under the sun. If anything, they're way more committed to subbing everything than the fansub scene ever was - even in its heyday, you would see the majority of groups jumping on the same handful of popular shows, with more niche ones being lucky to have a single group pick them up at all (to say nothing of completing them, or releasing subs in a timely fashion).

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
It still happens from time to time - Macross Frontier, Symphogear, Precure, most Kyoani shows up until quite recently.
Still bitter I cannot buy or even watch Hyouka locally. Ditto the more recent Yozakura Quartet series. Or maybe that one is licensed for disc.

Last edited:

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And Symphogear's kind of an extra-good example, because even after Crunchyroll picked it up, they didn't sub the songs, so you still had to get fansubs if you wanted to understand any frickin' fight scenes.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There is still a speed-fansubbing scene jumping on non-streamed shows fairly quickly ; see for example Dagashikashi (because it gets steamed a few days late). But the show needs some kind of buzz around it. Having finally found some half-decent subtitles for the first episode of Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage, and I can kinda see why nearly nobody bothered.

This is an adaptation of a Chinese web-novel, which presumably can't have helped licensing issues. (I've seen it mentioned to be simul-dubbed into China.) It's yet another tread through the well-worn historical heroic fantasy clichés (prophecy about a new hero to save the world from a disaster, many candidates with elemental-themed powers, etc.), but with enough self-awareness to keep joking about itself. Unfortunately, it's not very funny, the characters don't have much charisma, and it's all rather boring. Also, if you were wondering where the studio Deen that kept half-assing everything had gone, well here you are.

Really not worth seeking out.

Top Bottom