• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nargun

Banned
Spoiler: Show
Not quite, though you're right that they're having fun with names. I believe Mamoru's root is the verb 'to protect' (but it's been a while since I actually cracked a Japanese text book, so...).
It is the verb, "to protect", specifically its shuushikei ['plain present tense'] form. A lot of shuushikei verbs are common names in japan; mamoru, hikaru, kaoru, manabu, &c, usually but not always male [if it's ren'youkei [gerund], otoh -- mamori, hikari, kaori -- it's definitively a girl's name]. I should probably provide more examples, but I'm blanking.

"Earth" comes from his surname, "chiba", which contains kanji meaning "earth" in the same way that mizuno, [!aino], tsukino, hino, kino refer to their own respective planets.

sun_tzu

Validated User
It is the verb, "to protect", specifically its shuushikei ['plain present tense'] form. A lot of shuushikei verbs are common names in japan; mamoru, hikaru, kaoru, manabu, &c, usually but not always male [if it's ren'youkei [gerund], otoh -- mamori, hikari, kaori -- it's definitively a girl's name]. I should probably provide more examples, but I'm blanking.

"Earth" comes from his surname, "chiba", which contains kanji meaning "earth" in the same way that mizuno, [!aino], tsukino, hino, kino refer to their own respective planets.
Yes, that. My apologies for the mistake.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh. About 60-70% of the TV show is filler. The following are the episodes that are most important to the series. You can get the plot this way, but will lose a lot of the characterization. The fact is that little bits and pieces of plot get put into otherwise filler episodes as well, and things build up over time. But here goes.

Episode 1
Episode 8
Episode 10
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25
Episode 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 44
Episode 45
Episode 46
thanks for that. i'll keep watching the filler episodes, it's just good to know what's where.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's actually a reason for this distribution of "important" episodes in Sailor Moon.

Since it's a bit spoilery on the structure (but without any actual plot details), I'll put it into a spoiler block.

On Japan TV, the main scheduling unit for shows is the quarter (three months, normally 13 weekly episodes). Many shows actually run for multiples of that (I'm pretty sure Sailor Moon ran for 20 uninterrupted quarters, ie. five years).

But even multi-quarters show tend to structure themselves around the quarter schedule : they'll have a big midshow climax at the end of each quarter.
For shows like Sailor Moon that have ton of filler episodes that don't advance the plot much, it means that the "important" episodes will be the first of each quarter (new statu quo) and the last few of each quarter (miniarc climax, with some big plot progression).

But there's another key factor : quarters don't have a set number of episodes. Especially for shows airing at mainstream timeslots (like Sailor Moon was), there are any number of reasons that could cause something else to preempt the show from airing once or twice in the quarter. Indeed, this happened a lot in Sailor Moon, more and more over the years : from 46 episodes/year in the first season to only 34/year in the last one...

Note that this is by no means an absolute truth. For example, he first quarter of Sailor Moon had important episodes sprinkled through it, due to the plot contents of the original manga (it would be insane to bunch up all of the first three Sailor warriors' introduction episodes together... well, the live-action series did it, but it had very different ideas about pacing).

But it's a very interesting way to look at the anime series' bizarre stop-start pacing...

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
There's actually a reason for this distribution of "important" episodes in Sailor Moon.

Since it's a bit spoilery on the structure (but without any actual plot details), I'll put it into a spoiler block.

On Japan TV, the main scheduling unit for shows is the quarter (three months, normally 13 weekly episodes). Many shows actually run for multiples of that (I'm pretty sure Sailor Moon ran for 20 uninterrupted quarters, ie. five years).

But even multi-quarters show tend to structure themselves around the quarter schedule : they'll have a big midshow climax at the end of each quarter.
For shows like Sailor Moon that have ton of filler episodes that don't advance the plot much, it means that the "important" episodes will be the first of each quarter (new statu quo) and the last few of each quarter (miniarc climax, with some big plot progression).

But there's another key factor : quarters don't have a set number of episodes. Especially for shows airing at mainstream timeslots (like Sailor Moon was), there are any number of reasons that could cause something else to preempt the show from airing once or twice in the quarter. Indeed, this happened a lot in Sailor Moon, more and more over the years : from 46 episodes/year in the first season to only 34/year in the last one...

Note that this is by no means an absolute truth. For example, he first quarter of Sailor Moon had important episodes sprinkled through it, due to the plot contents of the original manga (it would be insane to bunch up all of the first three Sailor warriors' introduction episodes together... well, the live-action series did it, but it had very different ideas about pacing).

But it's a very interesting way to look at the anime series' bizarre stop-start pacing...
That might actually explain Endless Eight.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Eps. 01-13 Illustrated Recap

Once in a while, I take a "sketchpad" day, and just go nuts, drawing utter nonsense and/or drawing someone else's characters, for fun, and to clear the mind. Since today's nonsense works well with this thread, here is:

IN WHICH SHADOWJACK WATCHES SAILOR MOON (Episodes 01-13, loosely interpreted)

This is a story about how a bunch of 14-year-old dorks (but I repeat myself) save the world, and in the process grow up a bit.

This is USAGI. By her own admission, she's a klutz, a space-case, and a crybaby. But she also has a good heart and a talent for amateur dramatics. She has just reached that awkward age where you don't want to act like a kid any more, but don't know how to act otherwise, and everyone else still thinks of you as a kid anyway.

By night, she is SAILOR MOON, the terror that trips in the night, the pebble in the left shoe of the infernal on a 20-K hike. Now that she (finally!) has the hang of her powers, she's very flexible on offense and SUPERB at avoiding injury, thanks to years of practice dodging responsibility.

Her Best Friend Forever is NARU, a nice girl with naturally curly hair. Her mom runs a jewelry store downtown, and travels a lot on business.

Both girls are sort of being stalked by UMINO, the class nerd.

Usagi's crushes THIS week include:
#1) MOTOKI, the guy who runs the video arcade.
#2) TUXEDO MASK, a mysterious caped hero.
#3) REI, a Shinto shrine maiden of local repute.
It keeps her life interesting.

Usagi also has a magic pen that can disguise her as a grown-up, thereby allowing her to get into bars. If only she knew what to do when she got there.

Many are the times that LUNA has wondered if her oracular abilities misfired when they led her to select Usagi as her human. If Usagi's dad knew that it was Luna who's been drinking all his Yebisu, he would not begrudge it to her. He knows his daughter can be a handful.

Luna is very busy the 6 hours a day that she's awake, combing the city for signs and portents, and advising the kids in battle besides. She claims to be on a sacred mission and hints at secret sources of feline knowledge, but it's increasingly clear to everyone that she's playing this mostly by ear and whisker.

This is probably why she has a short temper for Usagi's antics – the girl's occasional flashes of brilliance are all TOO occasional for Luna's taste. Still, they have established a good working relationship, despite a fairly rocky start…

This is AMI.

Ami is one of the brightest students, if not THE brightest student, in the country. Rumor has it she has one of the highest IQ ratings in the world, but you know rumors. In any case, she's well-read and a little sheltered, which makes her a good "straight man" for the others.

She confesses that she has no hobbies, appears to have no other friends, and seems not to have much in the way of a familiy life…

…which might explain the INTENSITY that she brings to her position as SAILOR MERCURY, mistress of bubbles. She certainly seems to enjoy the work more visercally than the others do. It makes her… smile.

Unfortunately, she has to date been relegated to a support role, due to lack of power output. I mean, really… bubbles? I doubt that she will remain on the back row, however. She has moxie.

This is REI, and I have a suspicion that she lit a lot of fires when she was a wee tyke. As she got older, she channeled that energy into religion, and is now a Shinto shrine maiden of local repute.

She is blessed with second sight, and has only just begun to learn that (1) most other people have not, and (2) this should not be held against them.

I'm told she attends a Catholic school, and so I expect she has an affinity for Saint Barbara (patron saint of artillerists), because Rei's secret identity is none other than SAILOR MARS, our lady of smoking craters. She is INCREDIBLY destructive on offense, and her Shinto practices give her a wide range of support magic.

Puberty continues to be kind to her. Her current crush is Tuxedo Mask - although one must wonder how much of her interest is genuine, and how much is just to piss off Usagi. (She seems a very competitive gal.) Still, she IS basically "good people."

Finally, I have been portraying her as Latina for absolutely no good reason at ALL. What can I say? I can't resist punning cross association. You're lucky I didn't draw her with bandages and a plugsuit.

This is… hmm, come to think of it, I don't think his name has actually come up in the series yet. He's just "that guy." But I have read ahead a little, so I know that this is MAMORU, dedicated trainspotter and "Miami Vice" fan. (Every episode on Beta.)

Fate keeps shoving him and Usagi into each other's paths, but neither of them has taken the hint yet.

Anyway, he bears an astounding resemblance to mysterious caped hero TUXEDO MASK, master of weaponized floriculture, but I'm sure we all know it would be ridiculous to suggest that they were the same man. Tuxedo Mask wears glasses; if he took them off to be Mamoru, he couldn't see!

This is QUEEN BERYL, our villainess supreme. She rules a faerie court from her skull-encrusted seat on the Plateau of Leng.

She can quit playing WoW any time she wants to.

Her current long-term project is the freeing of her kingdom's dark lord from some form of extra-dimensional imprisonment, and it's gotta be done while the stars are right. This leads me to the entirely reasonable conclusion that her husband is CTHULHU.

As the Plan involves an awful lot of waiting around for other people to finish their bits properly, she's getting a little bored and a little frustrated. The general scheme is to steal the energy of human emotions and make use of that, which seems simple enough, so she can't quite understand why her minions keep reporting difficulties.

Which brings us to JADEITE.

He's dead. ("Suffering a fate worse than death", technically, but let's not quibble.)

Jadeite volunteered himself to head Project Big C, using his smile as collateral, and promised easy pickings and rose petals. He based his predictions on his vast experience of Earthling society, which consisted primarily of one "highly amusing" summer tour of the Third Reich.

Jadeite used every resource he had: he tapped every connection in his little black book, he called in every favor he was owed, he spent every mote of essence he had to his name, and before he was through he even tried getting physical. It availed him not.

The Sailors steamrollered him, and now he's a wall ornament in Leng.

And that's where things stand as of Episode #13.

Aaron Peori

Retired User
Oh dear, that was awesome beyond belief.

Do you mind if I share it with some friends on another forum?

-------------------
Epsilon
Attributed to you, of course, with a pointer to this thread.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, just wow.

I could quibble on a couple of things (where the truth is funnier than the way you got some facts wrong), but we'll cross that bridge later, when you reach the episodes that explain that stuff more in detail.

By the way, all three versions of the story concur : Luna is <i>completely</i> winging it. It'll become obvious later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom