• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
:D

It works a trifle better with Jadeite as Zim.

Jadeite: "PITIFUL <i>monkey</i> creatures! I shall suck all your energy with my energy-sucking… sucker… thingy. Youma!" (pause) "…Why are you eating your leg?"
Redhead of the Week: "…Because it tastes like bacon."
Jadeite: "There is no time for eating on our Sacred Mission, Youma! Now, DESTROY THE SENSHI!"
RotW: "YES MY MASTER!"
*BOOM*
Jadeite: "My <i>spleen!</i>"

CUT TO:

Usagi: "Ami! Ami! You gotta help!"
Ami: "I'm playing video games, Usagi. If this is not important I will destroy you."
Usagi: "It's the new girl at school! She's <i>stealing everyone's organs!</i>"

EDIT: Of course, that version of Ami <i>would</i> be dying her hair blue. And wearing goth clothes.
Ok I know what my next PC is.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
This is one of the best season 1 episodes. Not only do you have Usagi, Ami, and Rei really playing off each other for the first time, you get Tethys. A monster of the week with the personality and powers of a mini-boss. She's even got her own monstrous minions, not just cheap mind-control-a-mobs.
One of the best fanfics I have ever read uses Tethys as a fairly important charactor, she ends up the Queen of Antarctica.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #15: Usagi is Frantic! Rei's First Date!

... whoa indeed, he actually says it like that?

They're better than I thought.
Rei was clearly quite surprised that he could summon up dramatic wind on cue. You see it in her eyes.

She suddenly realized he was a person with thoughts and motivations, and not some spear-carrier NPC.

Ironic >.> <.<
I think I've heard of what this might be referring to, but I will remain deliberately oblivious for the nonce.

It's kind of surprising, really, how much I know about comics and manga that I've never seen before. Hooray, Internet.

I <3 your Mercury.
I had to invent some reason to explain her advancing on the foe without any attacks readied. What was she thinking? Answer: she wasn't.

"Goddamn princess wand." Still makes me crack up. I'm having way too much fun writing these. :D

You nearly made me squirt tea out of my nose :D

Thats was *not* a reference I was not expecting!
Were you expecting a bird out of season, dropping bright-feathered on your shoulder? A tongueless dwarf standing by the road to point the way?

:cool:

I assume you spotted something resembling the Eiffel Tower in the background. This is actually the Tokyo Tower, a major Japanese landmark that is indeed visible from this park (most Sailor Moon locations are based on real places in Tokyo).

(I do love your running joke, though. Even with the mangled French.)
Oh, I know about the Tokyo Tower, but when they paint the park like one of Ludwig Bemelmans's illustrations, they deserve what they get.

Besides, the Eiffel Tower moves about, you know. Seriously, watch any movie set in France. It moves. It likes cameras, I think. If it wants to come to Tokyo for a day, who's going to stop it?

And wherever the Eiffel Tower goes—it's Paris!

Which makes it a bit awkward when he starts a romance subplot with junior high school girls. In the manga version, he's still in high school at this point, which is only slightly better.
At least he's awkward enough to be a freshman. Still, I raise an eyebrow.

Poor Umino. What has the poor guy ever done to deserve this ?
(Besides stalking the girls and showing up from nowhere at opportune times to spout off random exposition...)
Basically that. :p

We've only learned Mamoru's name in the 15th episode. Took their sweet time, didn't they ?
Criminently, yes.

how wierd is the whole Sailor V video game thing? does Luna's support organisation fund their magic device R&D and communications network by merchandising tie-ins for their own superheros? it's a rather modern, subversive idea they've just popped in there.
I know, I like it!

I already did a Last Starfighter joke, but there's always room for more.

"Trust Luna!"

my god! someone has the power to spot the obvious! i'm shocked, i tell you.
Second sight lets her sneak peeks at the script, I guess.

Actually, they stay remarkably consistent about this. Rei always spots the weird shit first—she noticed that something was odd about the cruise ship right off, for example.

EDIT: The Rei as Zim voice does work rather well.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #16: Dream of a White Dress! Usagi Becomes a Bride.

• RECAP
"Ba-da-da-DA-dum… da-da-da-da-da-dunnnnnnnnn… KABOOM! Duddadun, duddan! Bumbumbadabadabumbada-da-da-da-DA-DA-DUN. Dee-dee-dee-dee-dee. Dadada-dadadaDA-dun-dun-dun. Badumbadadum, badadadum, doodlydoodlydoodly-doodoodooDOOdoodoo-doo. DA! Dadadadadum. Duuuuuh… dadadaDAdun! Duh-duh-duh-DUH-duh…"
"I think you missed a few notes."
"Think you can do better?"
"¡You're on!"

• SCHOOL:
The most boring class ever.
Ms. Akiyama: "…caused an explosion that melted the Antarctic ice cap and caused a shift of Earth's axis; climate changes and gigantic floods followed. Two billion people in the southern hemisphere were directly killed by the ensuing tsunamis. As a result of the subsequent chaos, wars broke out due to…"
Naru: "Has anyone noticed that she's been repeating the same history lesson over and over?"
Usagi: "Zzzzz… another chocolate parfait, please… zzzzzz…"
Naru: "And she's usually good at teaching the sewing stuff, at least. Why are you talking to yourself, Naru? I don't know, Naru, ask Naru."
Ms. Akiyama /blushes, sighs, and stares out the window.

• LUNCHTIME:
Naru: "Has anyone noticed that she's been repeating the same history lesson over and over?"
Usagi: "Yeah, and what does that have to do with Home Ec?"
Umino /materializes from beneath the table. "I suspect that–"
Naru /leaps up and over her chair. "JEE-ZUS!"
Usagi /kicks over the table in surprise. "STOP DOING THAT!"
Umino /doesn't skip a beat. "–it has something to do with her engagement."
Naru and Usagi: "Engaged?!"
Umino /has pictures. "Yes, she's engaged to be married to a short ugly guy, and seems ecstatically happy about it, the lesson of which should be clear!" /hint hint.
Usagi: "Yes, that one should aggressively pursue any attractive man in sight, or risk getting caught out!"
Naru: "Are you keeping notes on the activity of every woman in school? With photos? Let me see that notebook."

• DOWN ON THE CORNER, OUT IN THE STREET:
Ms. Akiyama, who by the way has naturally blue hair (worn in the librarian bun) and glasses, is window shopping for fabric.
Random Woman #1: "Hello Higure, dear! Shopping for fabric for your wedding dress that you said you were going to make by hand as it has always been your dream to have a big wedding with a dress made by yourself? I see you haven't found a cloth you like yet! Well, keep trying, kid, because I'm counting on meeting my future husband at your wedding reception!"
Ms. Akiyama: "Er… yes?"
Nephrite /just happened to overhear. "Hmmmm."

• NEPHRITE'S HAUNTED MANSION:
Wheel of Fate, turn turn turn, tell us the mortal that he will burn! And the victim of today's story is: Seamstress Higure Akiyama.

But note that this week, Nephrite is improvising.

• ACME WEDDING CHAPEL: Usagi was just walking by when:
Usagi /sees a wedding in progress. "SO ROMANTIC."
Dudes /set up a big sign.
Big Sign sez: Handmade Wedding Contest, Grand Prize: A Free Wedding Reception!

Usagi has a transport of delight in which she imagines marrying Motoki and Tuxedo Mask at the same time.
Usagi: "Mmmmm… threesome…" *drool*
Usagi: "Wait, but I suck at sewing."

Rei: "Hey, mister, what if, er, well, ¿is there is a time limit on claiming the prize?"
Mister Acme: "There is no time limit. No matter how many years it takes for you to get hitched, Acme Wedding Chapel will sponsor it!"
AND THE CROWD CHEERS!
Rei: "¡GREAT! I'll just win this, and then all I have to do is find someone who's really into me–"
Usagi: "Hello, Sailor."
Rei /trips over Usagi.
Usagi /stands up. "It's okay, I'm getting used to that. Hey, I walk this way all the time, but why were you—?"
Rei /eyes Usagi.
Usagi /takes a step back.
Rei: "Let's go to your place."

• REI MEETS THE PARENTS:
Mom approves.
Luna: (sotto voce) "What is she up to?"
Usagi: "She just followed me home! Not that I really mind, but–"
Mom /gives Rei the Last Piece of Cake.
Usagi: "HEY! I had dibs!"
Mom: "Guests come first, dear. Especially pretty, well-mannered guests of good family."
Rei: "And such a delicious cake it is, too, ma'am! You bake marvellously."
Usagi: "Stop buttering her up, it's obviously store-b—"
Mom /silences Usagi with a baking pan. "Yes, dear? Go on."
Rei: "So, Ms. Tsukino, it's long been my dream to be a lovely housewife such as yourself–"
Mom /thinks: "But Usagi's still so young!"
Rei: "–and I was wondering, could you teach me how to sew?"

Pause.

Usagi /from the floor. "Rei, I sew exactly as well as Mom does."
Rei /takes a moment to work that out in her head.
Mom /slips out the back while Rei is distracted.

Rei: "¡¿Well, damn it, why didn't you tell me?!"
Usagi: "Because you didn't ask!"
Rei: "¡Well :p to you, too!"
Luna /hits Rei between the eyes with the Sacred Mission speech.
{Usagi has left the scene.}
Luna /also hits Usagi wi– damn it.

• MIZUNO RESIDENCE:
Ami is studying.
Usagi: "I feel so used!"
Ami: "Mm-hmm."
Usagi: "And I'm no closer to getting a dress made for that contest!"
Ami: "Mm-hmm."
Usagi: "And the voices keep telling me to kill!"
Ami: "I could look up some medications for that."
Usagi: "So you were listening. Come on, sympathize!"
Ami: "Well, I have no plans to get married any time soon, and, think honestly for a moment, do you re–"
Usagi: "Ami, I'm trying to get you to teach me how to sew."
Ami: "…Heh. :) You really want me to?"
Usagi: "Really and truly."
Ami /drops a stack of sewing books in front of Usagi. "There's your homework, Ms. Tsukino. Get through that, and then we'll start the practice drills."
Usagi: "…You really are something else, 'Ms. Mizuno.' Arrrrrrgh."

• THE FABRIC STORE:
It's worse than Black Friday. The one police officer who showed up decided to have a smoke around the back, rather than face a mob of bargain-hunting women single-handedly.
Bargain-Hunter #1: "Bitch!"
Bargain-Hunter #2: "Slut!"
Ms. Haruna: "It's mine, you understand? Mine! All mine! Get back in there! Down, down, down! Go, go, go! Mine, mine, mine! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!"
Ms. Akiyama /daunted. "…Maybe I should mail order."
Nephrite: "YOU."
Ms. Akiyama /blush. "Me?"
Nephrite /very seriously. "THIS FABRIC. It's you. It's totally you. Observe the drape. Observe the weave. Imagine yourself, in a dress made from this, running along the beach on a starlit night with the man you love. Take it. It's yours. Don't mind the glowing demonic sigil, it's a maker's mark and will wash out. Handwash only."
Nephrite: "And I wish you happiness."

• ANOTHER DAY:
Usagi /fills in Naru on the situation.
Naru: "So that's why you suddenly wanted to visit Ms. Akiyama…" /noogies.
Usagi: "Ow! Hey. Come on, was I that obvious?"
Naru: "You haven't a chance, girl. Making a dress in… what, three days? With no skill?"
Usagi: "'A woman's conviction can crack solid stone!'"
Naru /?
Usagi: "Did I say that wrong?"

• SUDDENLY! Across the street.
Naru: "Who is that short, fat, balding loser bringing flowers to Ms. Akiyama's door?"
What's-his-name /knocks.
What's-his-name /calls. "Honey? You haven't been answering the phone. Are you okay? Honey?"
Usagi: "No way. That must be the fiancé!"
The door slams open.
Naru: "Who is that angry-looking, chain-smoking woman in cut-offs and whorish make-up in Ms. Akiyama's apartment?"
What's-her-name: "DON'T EVER COME HERE until the dress contest is over, or I'll break off the engagement and cut your–"
Usagi: "No way. That must be Ms. Akiyama!"
Naru: "She really lets herself go at home…"
Evil Akiyama: "MUST FINISH MY DRESS." *twitch twitch*
Luna: "I have a bad feeling about this."

• INSIDE:
Evil Akiyama is totally in the fiber-arts ZONE. Her Singer is running on overdrive, scraps and spent rolls clutter the room, and the cat is locked in the bathroom because THIS dress is NOT going to be pre-aged and it's NOT going to become a UFO it will be PERFECT and she will SHOW THEM ALL.

• THE TEMPLE:
Luna /explains her suspicions to Ami.
Ami: "The teacher has been missing from school lately…"
Suddenly! Enter Rei, something tucked under her arm, pursued by her Grandpa. Grandpa displays a remarkable aptitude for catching teenage girls.
Grandpa /takes back their only rental wedding kimono. "AHEM!"
Rei /stands and dusts herself off. "I was just… borrowing it."
Grandpa: "You're not entering that shameless contest at the competition's secular wedding chapel, are you?"
Rei: "…No, no, of course not."
Grandpa: "You're not eloping?! With this girl?!"
Rei: "¿What? No. Hell, no."
Grandpa: "Well, good." /changes gears. "Then she might be available…?" ;)
Ami: "…"
Rei /smites Grandpa.

• TSUKINO RESIDENCE:
Usagi Hood /sneaks into Mom's bedroom to steal her favorite curtains for material.
Sheriff Mom /is waiting behind the curtains.
Usagi Hood /!
Sheriff Mom: "AHEM!"
Usagi Hood /pleads for mercy from the Governor.
Sheriff Mom: "If you really want material, we can dock your allowance for three months…"
Usagi Hood: :eek:
Sheriff Mom: "…but do you really think you can make a dress in two days?"

• CUT TO: Akiyama.
Evil Akiyama: "AT LAST—MY MASTER WORK IS COMPLETE! ALL SHALL MARVEL AND DESPAIR! BWAHAHAHAHA–" /passes out.
She never noticed that What's-his-name left his flowers behind for her. :(

• ACME WEDDING HALL: The day of the contest.
Mister Acme is cackling at the thought of how much publicity this is worth.
Ami: "Couldn't get anywhere, huh?"
Usagi /has needle wounds.
Rei /needles Usagi.
Luna: "Come on, people, we've got business to attend to. Usagi! Use the disguise pen and sneak in there."
Usagi: "…I totally forgot I had it."
Rei: "Oh for the lack of a roll-eyes smiley."
Ami: "Come on, it's part of her zany charm."
Luna: "And, no, you can't use it to win the contest."
Usagi: "Sigh. Fair enough."
Usagi /disguise pen. "MAKE ME A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE!"

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 15
Usagi into Disguise Form: 6
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 5
Rei into Sailor Mars: 3

• THE CONTEST BEGINS: A hundred women in bridal dresses, and a television crew.
Usagi's dress ain't bad, but she's got serious competition.
Suddenly! Evil Akiyama, in an evil queen dress, enters dramatically: "BEHOLD!"
Mister Acme: "Who is that crazy woman? Look, ma'am, you have to wait–"
Evil Akiyama: "Kneel before me you SLAVE!"
Mister Acme /smitten. "Yes, Mistress!"
Evil Akiyama: "ALL OF YOU, KNEEL BEFORE BRIDE-ZILLA! BWAHAHAHAHA!"
Everyone in the room collapses.
Luna /CAT BITE. "Don't look in her eyes!"
Usagi: "Where were YOU hiding?!"

ZAP! FLASH!
<< Demon Spider is summoned! >>
Girlspider: "KYA!"
Usagi /shudders. "Spiders. Why did it have to be spiders?"
Rei and Ami steal the Miss America float and make a dramatic entrance.
Rei: "¡We are the boorish guests at Crime's wedding reception!"
Ami: "We are the sunburn that ruins Injustice's honeymoon!"
Usagi: "(Line thieves!) WE ARE THE SAILOR SENSHI."

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Dramatically intercut!
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 16
Usagi into Disguise Form: 6
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 6
Rei into Sailor Mars: 4

• FIGHT!
Usagi: "Doh…"
Rei: "Ray…"
Ami: "Ami!"
Usagi /raises eyebrow.
Ami: :)
<< Girlspider casts Icky Webs! >>
<< Usagi is webbed! >>
Usagi: "WHY ME? Why is it always me?"
Rei and Ami /!

(I love split-screen reaction shots!)

< AMI : TECH > BUBBLE1 : ALL >
<< Girlspider is confused! >>
< REI : TECH > FIRE : ALL >
<< Usagi is freed! >>
<< Bubble Spray extinguishes the fire. >>
< USAGI : TECH > MOONTIARA : GIRLSPIDER >
<< Girlspider is slain! >>

Ms. Akiyama /waking up: "Wha' happen–?"

• DENOUEMENT:
Usagi, Rei, and Ami invited themselves to Ms. Akiyama's wedding. The new Ms. What's-his-name is wearing a pretty but normal wedding dress, and both she and Mr. What's-his-name look deliriously happy.

Rei: "¡Bravo!"
Luna: "Proof you can't judge a person on their looks."
Usagi: "I still prefer good-looking men."
Ami: "You do know about the bouquet catching tradition, right?"
Ms. Haruna: "DIBS!"
Usagi, Rei, and Ms. Haruna /slap fight over the bouquet.
Ami /catches bouquet.
Ami /?
Luna: "This seemed a lot like a Jadeite fight, to me. Do you think he's come back?"

The Yann Waters

Under Someone Else's Bed
Re: Episode #15: Usagi is Frantic! Rei's First Date!

At least he's awkward enough to be a freshman. Still, I raise an eyebrow.
Well, going by the convenient timeline in this book, the park episode takes place in June '92, which would mean that his 18th birthday is a bit over a month away at that point. (He "attends college at the Azabu Institute of Technology," by the way.)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #16: Dream of a White Dress! Usagi Becomes a Bride.

Usagi: "Zzzzz… another chocolate parfait, please… zzzzzz…"
Either this is an uncanny coincidence, or the writers are bastards that fell in love with subtle foreshadowing.

Ms. Akiyama, who by the way has naturally blue hair (worn in the librarian bun) and glasses, is window shopping for fabric.
Well, You Gotta Have Blue Hair.

Mom: "Guests come first, dear. Especially pretty, well-mannered guests of good family."
That's actually true (the "good family" part, not the "well-mannered" part). Though we never learn anything about it in the anime, both the manga and the live-action dwell a bit upon it.
Spoiler: Show
Rei's father is a major politician. Their relationship is... strained, to say the least. There's a reason why she moved in with her (maternal) grandfather.

Usagi /from the floor. "Rei, I sew exactly as well as Mom does."
Eh, it's fun to see where some of Usagi's genes come from.

What's-his-name /knocks.
Even WikiMoon fails us : this guy really has no name.

Ami /catches bouquet.
Ami /?
I'm pretty sure they recycle this joke in at least one other episode.

Luna: "This seemed a lot like a Jadeite fight, to me. Do you think he's come back?"
Er, yeah. All the Acme Marriage stuff feels like a typical Jadeite plan. And not a very good one, at that. Nephrite was wasting his charisma here.

There are some good bits (Usagi dream threesome !), but most of it feels pretty recycled. Completely missable, arguably.

Wait, Mamoru doesn't even appear in this one, right ?

(And by the way, I cave in. I'm going to rewatch the series in order to follow along more closely.)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Eh, it's fun to see where some of Usagi's genes come from.
All the homemaking abilities of her mom, all the spaciness of her dad.

Even WikiMoon fails us : this guy really has no name.
Wow, not even in the credits? I didn't think to look.

Wait, Mamoru doesn't even appear in this one, right ?
Nope. Rei gets the romantic /trip-crash this week.

(And by the way, I cave in. I'm going to rewatch the series in order to follow along more closely.)
More energy!

If we get enough people, a youma will manifest on the forums and start trolling people for lulz.

Gaming Geek

Thinking with Portals
Validated User

If we get enough people, a youma will manifest on the forums and start trolling people for lulz.
This has already happened. ;)

No really, who do you think the mods *signal lost*

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

All the homemaking abilities of her mom, all the spaciness of her dad.
As I've already said, in the live-action series we never see Usagi's Dad, and thus all the spaciness is reported to her mom. It's a sight to behold : sometimes, she's WORSE than Usagi.

Wow, not even in the credits? I didn't think to look.
He does appear in the credits, since WikiMoon has a page for him, listing his voice actor (who also played the role of "Man" in episode 15).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom