• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #19: Usagi is Thrilled! Tuxedo Mask's Love Letter.

OKAY! OKAY! STOP THE SCENE!
Okay, I admit I've joked a little about Ami's bust and Rei's legs, but this scene suddenly spiked into the Just Plain Wrong Zone. Nephrite just bought himself a one way ticket to the Special Hell.
yeeeeeeah.. it's.. yeah.
if it makes it any better, i think you're meant to be creeped out by it, in contrast to the others.

Nephrite: "Okay, seriously, does the mask do nothing? You can really tell that quickly that I'm not Tuxedo Mask?"
he didn't use a transformation sequence, that's where he went wrong :)

sun_tzu

Validated User
Sailor Moon really works better as a narrative if you assume that it's okay for any two characters to hook up as long as they've both got attractive character designs.
Not entirely fair.

Spoiler: Show
Umino has no such design, yet clearly his hooking up with Naru is presented as a good thing.

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One of the things I rather like about Nephrite is his tendency towards insubordination. More than that, I like the fact that Beryl seems to find it kind of cute (in that this-is-cool-until-you-start-to-wear-on-my-patience sort of way). Nephrite seems to be the only Superminion that Beryl actually likes.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

•Ms. Haruna: "Ladies, this is obviously a prank, a child abductor, or a desperate man with no taste, and I'm sure we're all clever enough to not respond to the invitation."
Wait, Ms. Haruna is making sense for once ?

Nephrite /turns on the charm. "Why, of course, the little redhead with the killer serve. Considering upgrading to Windows 3.1?"
One of my favourite Sailor Moon fanfics ever completely embraces the time lag between the original series and now by having Jadeite un-iced and wondering why anyone would need more than 640K of memory.

Tuxedo Mask: "Look, just turn around, or go look in your pockets, or something. I'll go when you're distracted."
I love how he disappears... and then the camera doubles back to show he's just hiding behind the ledge, waiting for the Sailor Team to go.

Zoisite: "Nephrite fucked it uuuuuuuup."
Queen Beryl: "But look at how much energy he brought back! A few more fuck-ups of this sort and we'll be in business! Nephrite!"
Nephrite: "Yes?"
Queen Beryl: "You're off the hook today."
Now, this is where our innocent "Beryl is secretly Naru's mother" running joke goes from reasonably funny to just plain creepy. Basically, Beryl is allowing Nephrite to suck energy from her own daughter, and to fuck with her as much as he can (er, not litterally, I hope).

That's just WRONG.

It does give a reasonable explanation for why Naru's got so much energy : she's half-fey ! (But then, isn't Nephrite just transferring energy in a pointless closed circle ?)

Don't take me wrong, I like this subplot a lot (though it can't displace the Zoicite minarc as "How to do 10 episodes of filler right" (tm)), but the unfortunate implications do put a bit of a damper on my enthousiasm.

On the other hand, this IS a series that will have
Spoiler: Show
incest (twice !), murderous lesbians, bestiality (also twice) and transsexuals
in future seasons. It's only the beginning...

Last edited:

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One of the things I rather like about Nephrite is his tendency towards insubordination. More than that, I like the fact that Beryl seems to find it kind of cute (in that this-is-cool-until-you-start-to-wear-on-my-patience sort of way). Nephrite seems to be the only Superminion that Beryl actually likes.
I agree. He's the only one with much of a spine - witness his earlier comment "I'm not doing this for you [Beryl], I'm doing it for myself"

I love how he disappears... and then the camera doubles back to show he's just hiding behind the ledge, waiting for the Sailor Team to go.
ha! yeah, that was fun. "I hate it when women argue" indeed ;)

JohnBiles

Validated User
Well, it's technically legal in Japan (Naru is above the age of consent), but squicky by US standards, yar.

braincraft

RPGnet Member
Banned
Well, it's technically legal in Japan (Naru is above the age of consent), but squicky by US standards, yar.
It's squicky there, too.

Mind, in some (many!) American states it's perfectly legal for sixteen year olds to get married to whoever with their parents' permission. We can do squick just fine.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
as i mentioned upthread, the national legal limit may be lower, but most prefectures have laws making it illegal for an adult to have sex with anyone under 18.

hell, here in the UK the age of consent is 16 anyway, married or no. plus we have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the western world, so i don't think we're in a position to throw stones

The Fireballed Mage

Validated User

Nephrite /leans forward. "You're the cutest girl at your school."
Nephrite /hand on Naru's shoulder. "I've been interested in you for a long–"

OKAY! OKAY! STOP THE SCENE!
Okay, I admit I've joked a little about Ami's bust and Rei's legs, but this scene suddenly spiked into the Just Plain Wrong Zone. Nephrite just bought himself a one way ticket to the Special Hell.
For us, yes, it appears creepy. [And it actually is.] But look at it from the gaze of young teen girl, of whom the show was originally planned as the audience.

For young teen girls, boys their age are immature, goofy, silly, and focused on video games, sports, or other 'juvenile' pursuits. And even when they are interested in girls, the boys are so young and so socially inexperienced they come across as clumsy or worse, desperate.

Why should a girl put up with such fools when the girls are already attracting the gaze (shudder!) of older, more mature men. Men who are capable of subtly, of (hiding their fear behind) the maturity of age, of knowing who they are (pedophiles) without the angst and exestential crisis that invovles living with puberty.

Older men (appear) to have their acts together. They offer the girl access to the adult world ('adult' meaning 'not child' here) in a safe (although not really) manner that still allows them to be children. As well, the older man generally has more income, allowing them to be pampered (ignore the sexual play of the word) in ways boys their own age cannot compete with.

So it's understandable why Usagi, Naru, Rei, Ami and the other girls act like going after college-aged men is a good thing. It's understandable why a series aimed at young girls would embrace this fantasy and run with it.

It is squicky, distrubing, and unhealthy from a real world perspective on the desire to create a healthy relationship based on equal partnership and mutual respect of person.

In actual fact, what the girls are aiming for is horrifying and more often then not will *not* end well. But, some people just want the fantasy and screw reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom