• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Re: Episode #19: Usagi is Thrilled! Tuxedo Mask's Love Letter.

Wait, Ms. Haruna is making sense for once ?
well obviously, she never got a letter herself. and if this "tuxedo mask" thinks he can deny "the hot (and legal) peice of ass that is miss haruna", then she'll deny him anyone else she can.

or, considering she got hit by almost all of jaedite's traps, she's developed the survival trait of genre savviness.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sailor Moon really works better as a narrative if you assume that it's okay for any two characters to hook up as long as they've both got attractive character designs.
This applies to a wide range of media. ;)

One of the things I rather like about Nephrite is his tendency towards insubordination. More than that, I like the fact that Beryl seems to find it kind of cute (in that this-is-cool-until-you-start-to-wear-on-my-patience sort of way). Nephrite seems to be the only Superminion that Beryl actually likes.
That surprised me, too; I'd forgotten that from the last time I watched this episode.

Wait, Ms. Haruna is making sense for once ?
I'm as surprised as you are!

Now, this is where our innocent "Beryl is secretly Naru's mother" running joke goes from reasonably funny to just plain creepy. Basically, Beryl is allowing Nephrite to suck energy from her own daughter, and to fuck with her as much as he can (er, not litterally, I hope).

That's just WRONG.
Ah, but that's assuming she knows that's where he got the energy.

Nephrite: "I found this random kid who's in love with me, and got oodles of energy. Hell, mega-oodles. Giga-oodles!"
Queen Beryl: "Very good! Carry on!"

Later that night:

Small Business Owner Beryl: "Naru, I'm home! Naru? Hmm. Maybe she left voice-mail…"
Answering Machine: "Ms. Osaka, this is Gotham Hospital, please contact us immediately. Your daughter collapsed tonight in Shinjuku and is in the–"
Small Business Owner Beryl /!
Small Business Owner Beryl: "I knew this planet was dangerous! This is awful! But it's so hard to find good schools…"

And, yeah, I love that Tuxedo Mask's exit isn't even an exit. I was reminded of Bob and George, actually: "I'm still right here! Right behind you!"

So it's understandable why Usagi, Naru, Rei, Ami and the other girls act like going after college-aged men is a good thing. It's understandable why a series aimed at young girls would embrace this fantasy and run with it.

It is squicky, distrubing, and unhealthy from a real world perspective on the desire to create a healthy relationship based on equal partnership and mutual respect of person.

In actual fact, what the girls are aiming for is horrifying and more often then not will *not* end well. But, some people just want the fantasy and screw reality.
Well stated, and exactly what I was thinking.

And note that this actually works for the plot. Naru's attraction is being used by the bad guys just as much as Ms. Haruna's wanting to be thin.

well obviously, she never got a letter herself. and if this "tuxedo mask" thinks he can deny "the hot (and legal) peice of ass that is miss haruna", then she'll deny him anyone else she can.
:D Which the show presents as her real motivation…

It occurs to me that Nephrite's lucky that happened, though. What if half the class had disobeyed orders and showed up?

"I'm Sailor Moon!"
"No, I'm Sailor Moon!"
"I'm Sailor Moon and so's my boyfriend!"

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned

RECAP
"I used to live in a city of winter… and I still do, come to think of it. Tokyo, city of pleasure; Tokyo, city of killers.
Okay what is this from cause it sounds really familiar?

• REI'S PLACE:
Rei: "Well, I guess it's a good thing the letter's bogus, because I have the flu."
Ami: "I'll take care of you!"
Rei: "If that was innuendo, I'm too sick to respond."
Ami: "No, I'm just being dutiful."
I've watched torch wood and read more shojo-ai fanfic then can possibly be healthy, why does this break my brain so...

Actually I think part of me prefers snarky innuendo, to out right romance. Less depressing or something. (Man am I a cynic or what?)

• AND, FOR THE FIRST TIME ON SCREEN:
Mamoru /was minding his own business. "What the hell?"
You know Sailor moon as a dark comedy from the point of view of Mamoru would be interesting. Just that feeling of being caught up in someone else's story and not really having a clue.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'm imitating Rock's melodramatic internal monologues from Black Lagoon.

I kind of wonder, sometimes, if he keeps a diary for those, and if so, what would happen when Revy steals it. (Cue scene of Benny at the computer monitor, Dutch and Revy over his shoulders, reading Rock's text files. "Rock! You're not planning on publishing this crap?" "Publishing wha–HEY!")

Inspired by the Rei:Roberta connection. Ami as Benny, Luna as Dutch, Mamoru as Rock, and, who else? Usagi as the Two Hands. And of course they sometimes work for Queen Balalaika of the Dark Hotel…

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Black Lagoon, right ?

On a completely unrelated subject, Episode 19 was the first one where they started to slip-up on the whole "code names in the field" thing : Sailor Moon distinctly calls Sailor Mercury "Ami-chan" while Tuxedo Mask is barely a few feet away. (It's a good thing that Mamoru has barely met Ami by this point...)

The live-action series did it all the time, which I found a bit infuriating back when I first watched it. The glamour spell obviously worked differently with the camera in that version.

And while I'm bringing up random subjects :
[EPISODE 16]
Random Woman #1: "Hello Higure, dear! Shopping for fabric for your wedding dress that you said you were going to make by hand as it has always been your dream to have a big wedding with a dress made by yourself? I see you haven't found a cloth you like yet! Well, keep trying, kid, because I'm counting on meeting my future husband at your wedding reception!"
This was Ms. Haruna (admitedly barely recognizable). Higure even calls her "Sakurada-sensei", which is her last name.

I've seen in your previous thread that Episode 19 is the last one you commented upon. Did you stop there ?
Next up : Episode 20. Oh, dear... I've rewatched it yesterday, and it confirmed there were good reasons it was skipped in most dubs.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

On a completely unrelated subject, Episode 19 was the first one where they started to slip-up on the whole "code names in the field" thing : Sailor Moon distinctly calls Sailor Mercury "Ami-chan" while Tuxedo Mask is barely a few feet away. (It's a good thing that Mamoru has barely met Ami by this point...)
You know, I missed that, but now that I think of it, you're right.

No wonder he slipped out so fast; he's trying to preserve OPSEC.

This was Ms. Haruna (admitedly barely recognizable). Higure even calls her "Sakurada-sensei", which is her last name.
That was Haruna? I mean, I thought it should have been, but the woman didn't look, act or sound like her… Proof that people assume different masks according to who they deal with, I guess.

I've seen in your previous thread that Episode 19 is the last one you commented upon. Did you stop there ?
As I mentioned in the OP to this thread, my source for the episodes dried up at that point. But I now have the DVDs.

So yes, I have now crossed my Personal Sailor Moon Experiential Horizon (PSMEH), and am finally beginning to see episodes I have not seen before.

Next up : Episode 20. Oh, dear... I've rewatched it yesterday, and it confirmed there were good reasons it was skipped in most dubs.
Heh heh heh. I just watched it yesterday, and I rather liked it, as a change of pace. But, ah, serious it was not.

Write-up coming soon.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #20: The Summer! The Ocean! Our Youth! And a Ghost, Too.

• RECAP:
Sailor Sailor Moon, here are you,
You're ready and you're willin'.
If we can count on you, Sailor Moon,
I know we'll catch that villain!

• THE MYSTERY MACHINE:
Yes, folks, we're off to the beach! Fashion check:

No, no, no, actually, we've got continuity here! Usagi's got her nice powder blue dress from before, Ami has added a straw hat to the Awful Orange Peasant Ensemble, and Rei, sensible as ever, is wearing hot pants and a T-shirt.

Rei: "Looks nice!"
Usagi: "'Nice?' It looks 'nice'? It looks—Ami, help, here?"
Ami: "Fantastic? Beautiful?"
Usagi: "Yes! …I wish I could have brought Naru along!"
Rei: "So, uh, she's out of the hospital, safe and sane?"
Usagi: "…I assume so."
Luna: "We are not here to have fun! This is a Team Building Exercise."
Usagi /skips.
Rei: "A Team Building Exercise for which I—yes, I—rented a pension."
Usagi: "A what-sa-whosy now?"
Ami: "European lingo, means vacation guesthouse, kind of between a hotel and a bed-and-breakfast. And now you know."
Rei: "And this one has a private beach!"
Usagi /is distracted by visions of gorgeous men in thongs, and Tuxedo Mask windsurfing.

• LATER: The sun is setting.
Usagi: "Are we there yet?"
Ami: "No."
Usagi: "Are we there yet?"
Luna: "No."
Usagi: "We're lost, aren't we? This is all your fault."
Rei: "¡Damn it, girl, you picked the path!"
Usagi: "And you trusted me? You know I'm unreliable outside of combat."
Rei: "…"
THUNDER! LIGHTNING!
Usagi: "I'm scared of lightning! And I'm scared of that mysterious cloaked figure lurking in the shadows!"
Ami: "It's a cute little girl with flowers. Hello there!"
RAIN! RAIN! RAIN!
All: "Ack!"

• AND SO: The cute little girl leads them to a safe place.
Ami: "Thank you for helping us, sweetie!"
Cute Little Girl with Flowers: :)
The building is revealed in the next LIGHTNING FLASH!
Usagi: "It's frikkin' Dracula's Castle! Here, in the middle of Japan, or wherever!"
Rei: "It's the Hotel Addams. ¡This is the place I booked!"
Usagi: "You have got to be kidding me."
Ami: "Looks like we have little choice in any case. Shall we make the trial?"
Ami /knocks.
BOOM BOOM BOOM.
Usagi: "What knockers!"
Ami /blush. "Oh, thank you."
Usagi: "Eh? Oh, that's quite all right."

The door creeeeeeeeeeeaks open.

Vampiress /Moe. "Hello…"
Frankenstein's Monster /Larry. "…Hello…"
Wolfman /Curly. "…Hello…"
All Three Monsters: "…Hello!"
Usagi: "Zoinks! M-m-m-monsters!"
Cute Little Girl with Flowers: "I'm home."
Ami: "Monsters? Where?"
Rei: "Stop making a fuss, you're embarrassing us."
Herr Doktor Geller: "Sakiko! [i.e. Cute Little Girl with Flowers] You've been a naughty girl! To your room at once!"
Ami /is sad.

• USAGI'S ROOM:
Usagi: "I'm surprised we got separate rooms. Either this place is really really cheap, or Rei has more money than any of us suspected."
Luna: "I'm ashamed of you, Usagi, carrying on like a terrified… nervous… dog!"
Vampiress /snakes head around corner. "Güd ewening…"
Usagi /!
Vampiress: "It iz time to diiiine…"
Usagi /flees.
Usagi /trips over Rei.
Rei: "Okay, I've had enough of this." /pummels Usagi.
Usagi: "Ow! Ack! Ami, help!"
Ami: "…I'm staying out of this."
Herr Doktor Geller: "SUCH NOISY PEOPLE. Sakiko! I forbid you from interacting with them!"
Sakiko: :(

• DINNERTIME: OM NOM NOM NOM.
Frankenstein: "Would you and your cat like some more…"
Usagi /!
Frankenstein: "…wine?"
Wolfman: "Or some dessert?"
Usagi /!
Usagi: "For God's sake, Rei, why did you book this creepy place?!"
Rei /shrugs. "It was cheap."
Usagi: "I knew it."
Ami: "The cooking is excellent, and I think the costumes are funny!"
Wolfman: "Thank you! Those are our main selling points!"
Usagi: "I've heard of cosplay cafes, but a cosplay hotel? And aren't the servers supposed to be, like, cute girls or guys, instead of terrifying monsters?"
Frankenstein: "We admit business has been a trifle slow."
Usagi: "Your boss must be out of her skull."
Usagi: "She's standing right behind me, isn't she?"
Vampiress: "Yessssssss…"

• SUDDENLY! A mysterious wailing and shrieking in the lobby! Cue theremin!
Usagi: "Okay, if you monsters are here, and we're all here, that must mean…"
Vampiress, Frankenstein, Wolfman: "IT'S A REAL GHOST!" /hide.
Rei and Ami /kick down the door and come face to face with The Ghost.
Usagi: "You're going the wrong way! The exit is that way!"
Luna: "I'm with her on this one!"
Ami: "…Okay, so it really is a ghost. Youma?"
Rei: "I don't feel that kind of aura… but there is power."

• CUT TO:
Herr Doktor Geller: "You're a good girl, Sakiko, a very good girl…"
He's hypnotizing Sakiko! And she's weeping as it happens.

And after pointing out the creepy undertones in the last episode, the creep factor of this scene leaps at you screaming. But let's forget all that, because it's…

• THE BEACH: The next day. Continuity again – Usagi's got the same swimsuit as before, and Ami and Rei are in their colors.
Luna: "You did know what 'private' in private beach means, right?"
Usagi: "It means that no one else…"
Usagi /looks left.
You see an endless expanse of sand.
Usagi /looks right.
You see an impassable field of craggy rocks.
Usagi /looks ahead.
You see the rolling ocean, a distant ship on the horizon, and circling seabirds.
Usagi /deflated. "…will be here."
Usagi /gamely. "But I'll have fun anyway!"

Rei: "Ami, you brought your text books?!"
Usagi /seizes the text books.
Usagi: "Ami, quote the Book of Ecclesiastes, starting at chapter 3."
Ami: "Uh… 'To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven; a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to reap; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to sweep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance–'"
Usagi: "Exactly! You are fourteen, you are on a beautiful private beach on a beautiful sunny day with two beautiful young women, and that means it is time to dance."
Ami: "…Heh. You're right!" /tosses away the textbook. "Let's have fun!"
Rei: "Dios mio, did I just hear Usagi frame a cogent argument?"

• FUN!
Rei /throws the ball at Usagi.
Usagi /falls down. "OW!"
Ami /throws the ball at Usagi.
Usagi /falls down. "OW!"
Luna /throws the ball at Usagi.
Usagi /falls down. "OW!"
Usagi: "When did it become Pummel Usagi Week?"
Luna: "Consider this part of your Anything Goes Martial Arts Training!"

Sakiko /is watching.

• NIGHT FALLS.
Usagi: "Are you still there?"
Luna: "YES I'M STILL HERE."
Usagi: "Sorry, I'm scared of the ghost."

Rei /hangs prayer strips all about the dining room.

The Staff: "Mutter mutter plot plan."

Ami approaches Sakiko. "Hello! I'm sorry, we weren't properly introduced."
Sakiko: "You're Ami. I've been watching you. You have the Shinning."
Ami: "It's pronounced 'Shining', dear. You know, you remind me of how I was not so long ago, because you're all sad and by yourself. The best thing to do… well, okay, a good thing to do would be to become friends with Usagi. She'll cheer you right up! Or drive you slowly mad. But it's a fun ride, either way."
Herr Doktor Geller: "SAKIKO! Don't talk with strangers! YOU! You and your weird friends should get out of here quickly, if you don't want to get into more frightening situations." /drags off Sakiko.
Sakiko: "Owie! You're hurting me, Daddy!"

• PRIVATE TIME WITH DADDY:
Herr Doktor Geller: "Sakiko! They laughed at me at the university, but once you learn to master your psychic powers, you will SHOW THEM ALL. Now! Hypnosis, to unlock the Inner Mind…"
Sakiko: "I don' wanna…"
Herr Doktor Geller: "Sleeeeeep. Sleeeeep."
Ami /was spying, and saw the whole thing!
Ami: "Jinkies!"

• MEANWHILE…
Luna: "Hey, gang, let's split up and search for clues!"
Usagi: "Zoinks! It's a Black Mass!"
Frankenstein: "No, no, no, it's an Exorcism."
Vampiress: "Boo!"
Usagi /!
Vampiress: "I'm trying to scare away the ghost!"
Rei: "Well, it's not going to work if you do it like that. You should use proper Shinto techniques–"

Suddenly, the sound system starts playing "The Banana Boat Song", and poltergeist activity shatters the dining room to bits! The Shinto prayer strips have absolutely no effect.

Rei: "–but then again, what do I know?"

• BACK TO THE GELLERS:
Herr Doktor Geller: "Listen to my voice, Sakiko, scare all the mean people away!"
Ami: "Uh-oh."
<< Psychic Ghost is summoned! >>
Herr Doktor Geller: "Huh. Looks just like your mother…"
<< Psychic Ghost casts Force Burst! >>
Ami is blasted out the window!
Herr Doktor Geller: "Excellent! …Why are you looking at me like tha–?"
Herr Doktor Geller is blasted out the window!

• BACK INSIDE:
Luna: "Seriously, what the hell is going on?"
Usagi: "Rei, you idiot cheapskate, you should know by now to never trust a bargain!"
Rei: "Look, just power up, we'll all be possessed if we don't do anything!"
Usagi: "…Possessed? Since when?"

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 20
Usagi into Disguise Form: 6
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 7
Rei into Sailor Mars: 5
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 1

• OUTSIDE:
Herr Doktor Geller: "Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!"
Ami: "Wake up, Sakiko!"
Sakiko /still in trance. "I don't want to any more."

< USAGI : TECH > MOONTIARA : ESPER >
<< There's no there, there! No effect. >>
Usagi is blasted into the bushes!
Rei is blasted into the bushes!

< REI : TECH > HEAL : SAKIKO >
Sakiko wakes up!
But the Psychic Ghost is still active!
Ami /uses psychoanalysis. "She still harbors subconscious resentment! Hey, you, old guy – apologize!"
Ami is blasted into the bushes!

Herr Doktor Geller /babbles something about apologies and lost time and his own issues and he's so incredibly sorry, and tries to stand between Sakiko and the Id Monster.
<< Sakiko casts Force Burst! >>
<< Psychic Ghost is dispelled! >>

• DENOUEMENT:
Luna /explains to the hotel staff. "So you see, the ghost was really due to Old Man Geller, who was trying to scare people away from the hotel to resolve his own childhood traumas."
Herr Doktor Geller: "And I'd have done it, too, if it weren't for you darn kids. Thank goodness!"
Everyone laughs heartily.

Rei /throws the ball at Usagi.
Usagi /falls down. "OW!"
Ami /throws the ball at Usagi.
Usagi /falls down. "OW!"
Sakiko /throws the ball at Usagi.
Usagi /falls down. "OW!"
Usagi: "Are we having fun yet?"

Kang /drool. DO YOU THINK THE HUMANS SUSPECT
Kodos /drool. OF COURSE NOT MY CLONE BROTHER NOW REPLAY THE PART WHERE THEY HIT THE GIRL
Kang /drool. AT ONCE MY CLONE SISTER
{{Rei /throws the ball at Usagi.}}
{{Usagi /falls down. "OW!"}}
Kang /drool. HA HA HA
Kodos /drool. HA HA HA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom