• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruton

Retired User
Re: Episode #20: The Summer! The Ocean! Our Youth! And a Ghost, Too.

• RECAP:
No, no, no, actually, we've got continuity here! Usagi's got her nice powder blue dress from before, Ami has added a straw hat to the Awful Orange Peasant Ensemble, and Rei, sensible as ever, is wearing hot pants and a T-shirt.
You left out Baby Kamina!

Usagi /seizes the text books.
Usagi: "Ami, quote the Book of Ecclesiastes, starting at chapter 3."
Ami: "Uh… 'To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven; a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to reap; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to sweep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance–'"
Usagi: "Exactly! You are fourteen, you are on a beautiful private beach on a beautiful sunny day with two beautiful young women, and that means it is time to dance."
Ami: "…Heh. You're right!" /tosses away the textbook. "Let's have fun!"
Rei: "Dios mio, did I just hear Usagi frame a cogent argument?"
Nicely done. Although, in an ironic echo, I'm rewatching season 3, which takes place right around the time the girls have to prepare for entrance exams. Let's just say... Ami kinda runs thing.

Sakiko: "You're Ami. I've been watching you. You have the Shinning."
Ami: "It's pronounced 'Shining', dear.
Tuxedo Mask: If you need any help, just use that 'shinn' of yours and I'll come a running!

Oh, there'll be bigger youma and then bigger tiaras, until they create a tiara so big, it will destroy them all!

Kreuzritter

Validated User
"of course, the problem is he keeps killing youma by the busload, and that pink thing on his shoulder? she creeps ME out!"

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Oh, there'll be bigger youma and then bigger tiaras, until they create a tiara so big, it will destroy them all!
HA HA HA drool HA HA HA

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned

Isn't that the
Spoiler: Show
backstory behind the live action Sai|or |\/|oon? Anime Sailor Saturn?
(in leet to avoid adds)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Episodes 20-onwards : the new frontier.

Usagi /is distracted by visions of gorgeous men in thongs, and Tuxedo Mask windsurfing.
I had completely forgotten how many scenes like this there were in Sailor Moon. Fanservice !

• THE BEACH: The next day. Continuity again – Usagi's got the same swimsuit as before, and Ami and Rei are in their colors.
I really like that Usagi's still using her ribbon swimsuit - it makes her feel more real.

Usagi: "When did it become Pummel Usagi Week?"
Isn't it like this every week ?

Anyway, this is far from a terrible episode (we've already seen worse), and it does work a bit as a change of pace... except that the previous episode had major plot developments, and it's a bit of a pity that none of them are followed through. What happened to Naru ? What will Nephrite do now ? What about Zoisite ? How will the Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask situation develop ? But none of them are even in this episode, which is mostly an excuse for our heroines to go the beach.

It's one of the few episodes that are completely unrelated to the ongoing plot (there's some vague talk about the girls "training", but even less than in your summary).

Or is it ? Naru's mom's voice-actress returns to voice the vampire lady, after all...

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User

You know what ? This makes an awful lot of sense...:D
Bunny is clumsy, eats too much, and is officially the owner of the talking animal, Ami is the smart girl (that is actually hot - look at the live action movies...), and Rei and Daphne even had once the same German voice actress:). The only one not fitting is serious looking Mamoru for the always optimistic leader guy Freddy P...:p
Isn't that the
backstory behind the live action Sai|or |\/|oon? Anime Sailor Saturn?
(in leet to avoid adds)
Kinda,
which is what makes it so (unintentionally) extra funny...

"of course, the problem is he keeps killing youma by the busload, and that pink thing on his shoulder? she creeps ME out!"
Crossing over the current WiW threads, aren´t you ?
But;
It is funny, cause it is true...
Oh, great, now I started doing it, too...
:p

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #21: Protect the Children's Dreams! Friendship Linked by Anime.

• RECAP
Everybody sing!

"One of these days, I will find out the truth of love.
Everything in this world will be mine.
We're bound together by friendship.
It's a thick bond.
It won't let anyone block me!
I will go my own way!
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Otaqueen!"

• TV COMMERCIAL:
Movie Announcer Guy: "In a world of fear, one girl stands between the world and CERTAIN DEATH. That girl IS: Sailor V. Coming soon, from Toei Animation. (This movie is not yet rated.)"
Usagi: "Maaaaaaannnnnn, I wish they'd make an anime about me."
Luna: "Anyone who would watch an anime about you would have to be off the deep end."

• SCENIC TOKYO! Two animator chicks, walking to work and bitching about the director, who's the kind of guy who wants things square but round, firm but also soft, active without losing that essential passive quality. You don't know what I mean? Well, draw something, and tomorrow I'll let you know if you got it right. Oh, and he has a kid.

I think it's safe to assume that nearly every NPC in this episode is someone who worked in or near the Toei Animation studio during the production.

Animator chick #1 is named Kazuko, and has the "good girl" dress-hairband-bangs combo. Animator chick #2 is named Hiromi, and has the "bookish art-y girl" shortcut-two-tone-shirt-jeans combo. They're old friends, or um-friends, depending on how you wanna spin it.

They drop a timing sheet, which JUST HAPPENS TO BE picked up by Ami.

Ami: "I'm late to cram school, so I'll return it this evening."

• NEPHRITE'S EVIL MANSION:
Wheel of Fate, turn, turn, turn; tell us the mortal that he shall burn! And the victim of today's story is: Animator Chick #2 Hiromi!

Nephrite: "I'd better bring out my toughest monsters for this one!"

• THAT NIGHT: Ami is trying to find the studio, when suddenly!
A certain red Ferrari blitzes past, breaking several traffic regulations.
Ami /sees the driver. "Hey, isn't that the wealthy and eccentric–? Wait a minute. That's Nephrite!"
Ami /kicks herself for not getting the license number.

• AT THE NICELY-SKETCHED ANIMATION STUDIO: Hiromi is working alone, late at night.
AC Hiromi: "GAAAAAAAAH." /scribble scratch crumple crumple fling. "I just can't get it right!"
AC Hiromi /leafs through AC Kazuko's work. "And she's doing so incredibly well! I mean, her stuff looks professional, and mine looks like so much amateur scribbling. …I think I'd better bring It out one more time."
AC Hiromi /takes out The Pencil-Case.

• FLASHBACK!
High School Anime Geeks Hiromi and Kazuko, to celebrate their acceptance at Toei, went halvsies on an expensive "pro set" of pencils, and divided them between two matching pencil cases. HSAG Kazuko declared, "We have to promise to use them only for special occasions, so we have to get each other's permission to untie the ribbon!"

And then they swore the Sacred Pinky Promise, which is only the most highest and hallowed of all girlhood oaths.

• WHICH IS WHY…
…when we leave flashback and finally open The Pencil Case we aren't all that surprised to find out that AC Hiromi is down to the last stub of the last pencil, because she's been using them on the sly.

• INCIDENTALLY, I'm pretty sure the young ladies were ripped off, because the "pro animator set" pencils have those reflective spiral coatings, and lemme tell you, those "fun" pencils are a pain to work with. The coating flakes off and makes it hard to sharpen to a usable point, and the graphite isn't any better, and often a bit worse, than plain jane pencils or artist's charcoal.

In case you're wondering, I do most of my work with the good ol' Dixon Ticonderoga #2. I really should make fuller use of the other hardnesses, but the Ticonderogas are just so damn handy.

• ANYWAY:
AC Hiromi justifies her breaking of the Sacred Oath thusly: "But I get so fired up when I used these pencils! And I don't wanna get left behind!"

• ENTER NEPHRITE:
AC Hiromi: "Excuse me? You're not on staff."
Nephrite: "Miss Hiromi Matsuno? I'm a big fan of yours."
AC Hiromi /pales as she realizes she is alone at night with an obsessed man twice her size.
Nephrite /steals her pencil.
Nephrite /then gives it back, but evil.
{Nephrite has left the scene.}
Hiromi: "…Phew."

• OUTSIDE:
Nephrite is too cool to simply walk anywhere, remember.
Nephrite /appears in the doorway outside.
Nephrite: "Phase One complete; now I just need to lure the Sailor Senshi here–"
Nephrite's car alarm goes off!
Ami is standing on top of his car, in Mercury form.
Ami: "Are you gonna come quietly, or will I have to bubble y–?"
Nephrite /ninja leaps!
Nephrite /takes his hands out of his pockets.
<< Nephrite shoves Sailor Mercury! >>
<< Sailor Mercury falls off the car! >>
Ami /!
Nephrite /takes out his keys. *bip! bip!*
Ami: "…You hit me!"
Nephrite /climbs into the car. "This time you're going up against my big hitters, so maybe you should get in a little more practice."
Ami: "You actually hit me! Like, physically, no magic or anything!"
Nephrite /drives off, tire squealing.
Ami /cough cough. "Well, shit."

• INSIDE:
AC Kazuko: "I'm baaaaack! I brought take-out ramen. And, uh…"
AC Hiromi /is creepy.
AC Kazuko: "…If you're practicing the facial expressions for the villain, you've got it down pat."
Ami /knocks, steps in. "Excuse me? I think you guys dropped this earlier today–"
AC Kazuko: "Ah, good, that's what happened to it! Thank you so much! Hey, Hiromi, wasn't that nice of–"
{AC Hiromi has left the scene.}
AC Kazuko: "I'm sorry, I don't know what's with her tonight."
Ami /has already put all the pieces together. "Don't worry, it won't last long."

• THE NEXT DAY: School.
Luna: "Ami! You know better than to take solo action!"
Ami: "…yeah, yeah… I got excited, is all…"
Usagi: "You should have called me, I would have come like a shot!"
Luna: "…Really, you would have?"
Ami: "Ah-ha. So you could hope to cadge a signed cel from the company, am I right?"
Usagi: "…Am I really that easy to see through?"
Ami: "Yes, but we love you anyway. I'll skip cram school and we can go 'investigate' this afternoon."
Usagi: "YES!"

• THE STUDIO, DAYTIME: Lots of people, hard at work.
Hiromi has been working all night.
AC Kazuko: "Wow! You're on a roll. Good j–"
AC Hiromi: "I'll be working in this office all day. Alone."
AC Kazuko: "…"
AC Hiromi: "Kazuko will never be better than me as long as I have THIS PENCIL! BWAHAHAHA!"

And just as you were thinking, "Well, that won't be very long, then," the pencil magically lengthens itself! Dun-dun-DUN!

• REI'S SCHOOL:
Rei, speaking on the gizmophone: "Dude, anime is for little kids, I don't want to go."
Ami, via gizmophone: "Er… okay then? It's only a minor case of probable demon possession, I'm sure we'll be fine…"

• BUT AFTER SCHOOL: Late after school, it's sunset already.
Usagi: "You skip cram school, and then I get held late. I hate my life."
Ami: "I hate your life, too." ;)
Rei /wearing pink overalls. "¿Well? ¿What are we waiting for? ¿What took you so long?"
Luna: "Usagi's failing–"
Usagi: "Shush!"
Rei: "Heh."
Ami: "You showed up?"
Rei: "Well, yeah. We've got our Sacred Mission and all, ¿right?"
Ami: "And what's this in the bag you were trying to hide behind your back? Vellum sheets for autographs, plastic cel protectors, and a mint-condition VHS of Fist of the North Star."
Rei: "…they're for a friend."
Ami: "I've been told that only little kids like anime."
Rei: "¿Are you looking for a fight?"
Ami: "I'm just making conversation."

• NEPHRITE'S EVIL MANSION:
Nephrite is kickin' back on the veranda with a little Jack Daniels, enjoying the ghosts.
Zoisite /just walks in. "You seem very relaxed."
Nephrite: "There is an Earth custom called 'knocking.'"
Zoisite: "You must be very confident in your current plan."
Nephrite: "Reasonably so."
Zoisite: "I want to see how this works out."
Nephrite: "…"
Nephrite /stands up. "All right."

• MEANWHILE, at the Studio…
Usagi and Rei /ZOMG TOTAL FANGASM SQUEEEEEEE
Ami /embarrassed. "Eh-heh. So, uh, has anything unusual been happening here lately?"
AC Kazuko: "Nothing that I can think of."
AC Hiromi: "SILENCE SUB-CREATURES!"
AC Kazuko: "Geez, Hiromi, show a little class! The kids are here 'cause they like our work."
AC Hiromi: "They're here to get autographs and cel art to sell at conventions! The little fiends!"
Rei: "¡I would never sell my collection! I mean, uh–"
Ami: "So this is normal around here?"
AC Kazuko: "Huh? What?"
Some Guy: "Telephone for Hiromi. Telephone for Hiromi. Are you Hiromi? Telephone for you."

Mister Director, via speaker-phone: "Great work, Hiromi, really great! Since I promised to let you direct the last scene, what have you come up with?"
AC Hiromi: "In the last scene, Sailor V dies."
Everyone else in the studio: "SINCE WHEN?!"
Mister Director: "SHE DIES?!"
AC Hiromi: "That's the kind of story a modern audience wants."
Mister Director: "BUT-BUT-BUT—"
AC Hiromi /hangs up.

Everyone in the studio: "But the script! But the storyboards! This is the first we've heard of it!"
AC Hiromi: "Dude… it's just a stupid anime. So what?"
Rei: "I SENSE EVIL."
Luna: "Are you sure it's not fan-rage?"
Rei: "I said EVIL. My little antennae do not lie."
AC Kazuko: "Come on folks, calm down, I'll handle th– Hiromi where are you going?!"
Usagi: "She's going up to the roof! Oh, shit, she's snapped!"

• QUICK! Up to the roof!
AC Hiromi: "You think I'm a talentless hack, don't you? You're always thinking you're better than me, aren't you? Well, my pencil and I are gonna go places, and we'll show THE WHOLE WORLD!"
AC Kazuko: "That's a very interesting aura shimmering about Hiromi. I should have brought my sketchbook. Wait, hold that pose, I'll just–"
Ami: "Oh for–!" /karate chops AC Kazuko.
AC Kazuko /K.O.
Ami: "Artists. Sheesh."

• ASTOUNDINGLY IAMBENT SUMMONING SEQUENCE!
Enter Castor and Pollux, two lovely lizard-like ladies, as envisioned by Kôsuke Fujishima.

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
And so as not to be outdone by the villains, we'll throw in a spiffy split-screen "MAKE UP!" sequence, too!
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 21
Usagi into Disguise Form: 6
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 8
Rei into Sailor Mars: 6
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 1

• CUT TO: Nephrite's Evil Mansion.
Zoisite: "Twins?"
Nephrite: "Or something. They're very close."
Zoisite: "Hmm."
Nephrite: "That's the secret to their strength, you see. The Power of Friendship and all that. I figure if it works for all those shônen heroes, why not make it work for us?"
Zoisite: "Huh."
Nephrite: "See, the twist in this whole plan is that the geek girl is actually just bait to lure out the Sailor Senshi. Castor and Pollux are my two toughest minions, and I have no doubt they'll wipe the floor with them."

• JOIN BATTLE!
Castor: "To protect the world from devastation!"
Pollux: "To unite all people within our nation!"
Castor: "To denounce the evil of truth and love!"
Pollux: "To extend our reach to the stars above!"
Castor: "Castor!"
Pollux: "Pollux!"
Castor: "Gemini blasting off at the speed of light!"
Pollux: "Surrender now or prepare to fight!"
Meowth: "Meowth, that's right!"

<< Castor casts Fire Soul! >>
<< Sailor Moon takes 350 damage! >>
<< Sailor Mars takes 350 damage! >>
<< Sailor Mercury takes 700 damage! >>
<< Castor casts Bubble Stream! >>
<< Sailor Moon takes 350 damage! >>
<< Sailor Mars takes 700 damage! >>
<< Sailor Mercury takes 350 damage! >>
< USAGI : ITEM > FENIXDOWN : REI >
< REI : ITEM > FENIXDOWN : AMI >
< AMI : TECH > CURE 2 : ALL FRIENDS >
Rei: "¡They're fuckin' copying our spells!"
Ami: "Except I haven't even got that spell yet! Damn it, I said we should have done more grind!"
Rei: "You said you had cram school!"
Usagi: "Hey, don't panic, guys, it's usually at this point that something breaks our way."

Castor: "And now, Sailor Senshi, it's time for me to finish you off!"
Pollux: "Hey, it's my turn to do the finishing move!"
Castor: "Is not!"
Pollux: "Is too!"

Usagi: "See?"
Luna: "Will wonders never cease?"
Luna /cues up boombox. Dramatic 80s synthpop starts playing!
Luna: "Take 'em apart, girls!"
< USAGI : TRIPLE-TECH > DELTA TIARA : ALL FOES >
Castor: "This is all your fault!"
Pollux: "We should have valued our friendship more!"
<< Castor and Pollux are slain! >>
<< Usagi has levelled up! New technique mastered! >>
<< Ami has levelled up! New technique mastered! >>
<< Rei has levelled up! New technique mastered! >>

• MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE MANSION:
Nephrite: "…the fuck?!"
Zoisite: "I enjoyed the show. :) LOL"
{Zoisite has left the scene.}
Nephrite: "'Most powerful monsters' my perfectly-shaped ass."

• DENOUEMENT:
AC Hiromi, now sane, confesses about the pencils and her fear of being left behind—at the same time that AC Kazuko admits that she, too, has been using the pencils on the sly to try to keep up with AC Hiromi! Dawwwwwwww. And everyone in the studio applauds a happy resolution. (And the Sailors slip away during the celebration…)

Usagi: "Think we've earned a cameo in the movie?"
Luna: "I'm actually looking forward to it."
Rei: "Where's Ami?"
Ami: "Blowing bubbles."
Usagi: "No new spell?"
Ami: "No new spell."
Rei: "You think you've got problems. My Galaxy Express 999 T-shirt was ruined in the fighting."
Usagi: "That's terrible! You want to borrow mine?"
Ami: "I just had a thought…"
Luna: "What?"
Ami: "Since this was the most 'meta' episode to date, does that mean that the mention of Sailor V's death was foreshadowing?"

Awkward silence.

Luna: "…How about a little music?"

Blazing Bat

Validated User
Re: Episode #21: Protect the Children's Dreams! Friendship Linked by Anime.

Ami is standing on top of his car, in Mercury form.
Ami: "Are you gonna come quietly, or will I have to bubble y–?"
Nephrite /ninja leaps!
Nephrite /takes his hands out of his pockets.
<< Nephrite shoves Sailor Mercury! >>
<< Sailor Mercury falls off the car! >>
I always wondered what her plan was, just in case Neprite was actually going to stick around and fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom