• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Gamer

Re: Episode #21: Protect the Children's Dreams! Friendship Linked by Anime.

NEPHRITE'S EVIL MANSION:
Nephrite is kickin' back on the veranda with a little Jack Daniels, enjoying the ghosts.
Zoisite /just walks in. "You seem very relaxed."
Nephrite: "There is an Earth custom called 'knocking.'"
Zoisite: "You must be very confident in your current plan."
Nephrite: "Reasonably so."
Zoisite: "I want to see how this works out."
Nephrite: "…"
Nephrite /stands up. "All right."
The NA dub of this scene includes some of the famous bowlderization, but also includes a pair of lines that has stuck with me:

Zoisite: "Hello, Nephrite. Hard at work, I see."
Nephrite /sips: "Yes, actually."
Zoisite: "Your plan is to poison Sailor Moon with lemonade."
Nephrite: "You've been studying human sarcasm, I see."
Zoisite: "It's required."

Apparently Beryl was unimpressed with Jadeite's self-directed Earth explorations and is trying to bring the rest of the minions up to speed on our 'better' qualities. :D

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I always wondered what her plan was, just in case Neprite was actually going to stick around and fight.
I'm not sure she had a plan, in all honesty.

Key his car?

Use harsh language?

Bubble spray, and while he's disoriented, beat him to death with her goddamn princess wand?

"Why not all three?"

The NA dub of this scene includes some of the famous bowlderization, but also includes a pair of lines that has stuck with me:

Zoisite: "Hello, Nephrite. Hard at work, I see."
Nephrite /sips: "Yes, actually."
Zoisite: "Your plan is to poison Sailor Moon with lemonade."
Nephrite: "You've been studying human sarcasm, I see."
Zoisite: "It's required."

Apparently Beryl was unimpressed with Jadeite's self-directed Earth explorations and is trying to bring the rest of the minions up to speed on our 'better' qualities. :D
:D

That's good. I like that!

Cruton

Retired User

Ami: "…You hit me!"
Nephrite /climbs into the car. "This time you're going up against my big hitters, so maybe you should get in a little more practice."
Ami: "You actually hit me! Like, physically, no magic or anything!"
Nephrite /drives off, tire squealing.
Ami /cough cough. "Well, shit."
Ever since the eighties ended, Nephrite just couldn't be bothered to give a shit about the "way things were done".

Why do my favorite Sailor Moon villains have some kind of car associated with them?
Spoiler: Show
I remember squeeing over the Eudial's minivan of doom. I think the various scenes of it rocketing out of the Death Buster's underground lair and harassing Tokyo pedestrians were some of the comedic high points of season three.

Blazing Bat

Validated User

I'm not sure she had a plan, in all honesty.

Key his car?

Use harsh language?

Bubble spray, and while he's disoriented, beat him to death with her goddamn princess wand?

"Why not all three?"
On the other hand, her fog attack *is* quite dangerous to reckless drivers such as Nephrite. :D

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User

• SCENIC TOKYO! Two animator chicks, walking to work and bitching about the director, who's the kind of guy who wants things square but round, firm but also soft, active without losing that essential passive quality. You don't know what I mean? Well, draw something, and tomorrow I'll let you know if you got it right. Oh, and he has a kid.

I think it's safe to assume that nearly every NPC in this episode is someone who worked in or near the Toei Animation studio during the production.
two things about this. firstly, my god, they used to make this stuff with pens and paper and bits of plastic! madness. technology pervades our lives so stealthily i keep forgetting it wasn't always around. like when Usagi uses a payphone in one episode.

the other is i can't help but wonder if it's the writers having a friendly jab at their animator colleagues ;)

Castor: "And now, Sailor Senshi, it's time for me to finish you off!"
Pollux: "Hey, it's my turn to do the finishing move!"
Castor: "Is not!"
Pollux: "Is too!"
i laughed out loud at this; it has to be the shortest time it's taken for villains for fall out ever

Luna: "Take 'em apart, girls!"
< USAGI : TRIPLE-TECH > DELTA TIARA : ALL FOES >
so Ami powers up the burning moon tiara with .. bubbles? well, points for trying

Last edited:

JohnBiles

Validated User

Nephrite's car alarm goes off!
Ami is standing on top of his car, in Mercury form.
Ami: "Are you gonna come quietly, or will I have to bubble y–?"
Nephrite /ninja leaps!
Nephrite /takes his hands out of his pockets.
<< Nephrite shoves Sailor Mercury! >>
<< Sailor Mercury falls off the car! >>
Ami /!
Nephrite /takes out his keys. *bip! bip!*
Ami: "…You hit me!"
Ami: "Picard never hit me!"
Nephrite: "..."

nargun

Banned

Ami: "And what's this in the bag you were trying to hide behind your back? Vellum sheets for autographs, plastic cel protectors, and a mint-condition VHS of Fist of the North Star."
Rei: "…they're for a friend."
SuperS, ep... six, is it?
Spoiler: Show
"one to read, one to lend out, one to keep"

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

On the other hand, her fog attack *is* quite dangerous to reckless drivers such as Nephrite. :D
Good point! She should have timed her attack until after he left.

Ah, but that'd violate the Hero's Code for these things. Pity.

Though if he's as tough as Jadeite appeared to be, it'd go down like this:

Nephrite: "Ack! Fog!"
VRRRRRM–CRASH–BOOM!
Ami: "HA! Gotcha!"
Nephrite /kicks door out and emerges from the flaming wreckage, shirt and pants torn but otherwise completely unharmed.
Ami /notes bare chest and legs. "…Yowza!"
Nephrite: "You wrecked my car!"
Ami: "Technically I only contributed to conditions that made it easier for you to wreck your car."
Nephrite: "I liked that car! I'm going to take it out on you in exchange!"
Ami /gives him the eye. "Fine with me…"
Nephrite: "…"

two things about this. firstly, my god, they used to make this stuff with pens and paper and bits of plastic! madness. technology pervades our lives so stealthily i keep forgetting it wasn't always around. like when Usagi uses a payphone in one episode.
Yes, it has crept up on us, hasn't it?

the other is i can't help but wonder if it's the writers having a friendly jab at their animator colleagues ;)
Almost certainly. Mister Director is obvious, and the extras in the studio all have suspiciously well-defined faces for background characters. :D

The subtitles also note that one of the studio names mentioned on a wall is "Studio Chibli", which gosh sounds like no studio name I know!

i laughed out loud at this; it has to be the shortest time it's taken for villains for fall out ever
Nephrite must have been fuming.

so Ami powers up the burning moon tiara with .. bubbles? well, points for trying
Well, mixed fire-and-water attack is nothing to sneeze at. I swear by Antipode and Antipode 2 in Chrono Trigger.

Ami: "Picard never hit me!"
Nephrite: "..."
:D

Janeway would, though.

Whitemage of DOOM

Banned

Well, mixed fire-and-water attack is nothing to sneeze at. I swear by Antipode and Antipode 2 in Chrono Trigger.
But but, that's fire and ICE.

Tangently: I've never found a use for dual techs in chrono trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom