• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruton

Retired User
Re: Episode #21: Protect the Children's Dreams! Friendship Linked by Anime.

Nephrite: "Ack! Fog!"
VRRRRRM–CRASH–BOOM!
Ami: "HA! Gotcha!"
Nephrite /kicks door out and emerges from the flaming wreckage, shirt and pants torn but otherwise completely unharmed.
Ami /notes bare chest and legs. "…Yowza!"
Nephrite: "You wrecked my car!"
Ami: "Technically I only contributed to conditions that made it easier for you to wreck your car."
Nephrite: "I liked that car! I'm going to take it out on you in exchange!"
Ami /gives him the eye. "Fine with me…"
Nephrite: "…"
Queen Beryl: "Zoisite, why this needless antagonism among my selected?"
Zoisite /on-the-spot. "I-I just have doubts , my Queen, about Nephrite's... character."
Queen Beryl: "Nephrite was chosen from the ranks of the unseelie for his skill and discipline, as were you. Do you question how I judge my minions?"
Zoisite: "No, I-"
Nephrite /stumbles in with a tie around his head, humming the Song of Okinawa.
Beryl & Zoisite: "..."
Nephrite /throws his arm around Zoisite's shoulders in a brotherly hug. "Ooooh, Zoisite. You're my favorite. Do you know why? Because you're so thick. Thick-thicky Thick Thick, from Thicksville. Thickstonia. And so's your dad!"
Beryl /dangerously. "Nephrite..."
Nephrite: "Beryl, darling, we are going about this invasion all wrong! How you met the Japanese?"

JohnBiles

Validated User

Ami /gives him the eye. "Fine with me…"
Nephrite: "…"
Hi, Athena!

The subtitles also note that one of the studio names mentioned on a wall is "Studio Chibli", which gosh sounds like no studio name I know!
In the very opening shot of the surreal opening credits, some building has 'Channel 10' on it in huge letters. I'm wondering if that might be the channel that broadcast Sailor Moon.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User

I do find the differences between the dub and sub in some areas interesting. Now generally the dub's voices are terrible, but those that are good are often good in ways totally different from their original Japanese character. For example Luna is a good dub, but the voice gives her a much more maternal and caring style, while in the original version she's more in the typical 'shrill and nagging' talking animal form. Or Zoicite, where in the original version he's very subtle scheming and very passive, while in the dub she's cackling sarcastic and outright bitchy. Or a later main villain in season 3 who in the original version has just a typical female voice with light giggling and a somewhat more 'human' style to her, but in the dub has a metallic monotone to her voice and a bloodcurdling cackle(Actually the English dub has a surprising number of female villains with great cackles. The original version mostly just has a female villain in season 2 who does have a glass cracker of a cackle.).

-Naxuul

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User

In the very opening shot of the surreal opening credits, some building has 'Channel 10' on it in huge letters. I'm wondering if that might be the channel that broadcast Sailor Moon.
My preliminary research says you are correct.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

But but, that's fire and ICE.
Ice, Bubbles, same diff. It's all Water Magic.

Spekkio: "You, with the stupid ponytails! You're «Moon»."

Spekkio: "The one with the blue hair is «Water»."

Spekkio: "The one with the silly accent is «Fire»."

Spekkio: "I AM the Master of War! Whew! Sometimes I scare myself! You guys are too much! Bring newcomers to meet me!"

Tangently: I've never found a use for dual techs in chrono trigger.
Typically, so I can pile on extra damage while my third character is either healing, buffing, or busting out 25% cost Luminaire. Depends on particular battle, though.

Queen Beryl: "Zoisite, why this needless antagonism among my selected?"
Zoisite /on-the-spot. "I-I just have doubts , my Queen, about Nephrite's... character."
Queen Beryl: "Nephrite was chosen from the ranks of the unseelie for his skill and discipline, as were you. Do you question how I judge my minions?"
Zoisite: "No, I-"
Nephrite /stumbles in with a tie around his head, humming the Song of Okinawa.
Beryl & Zoisite: "..."
Nephrite /throws his arm around Zoisite's shoulders in a brotherly hug. "Ooooh, Zoisite. You're my favorite. Do you know why? Because you're so thick. Thick-thicky Thick Thick, from Thicksville. Thickstonia. And so's your dad!"
Beryl /dangerously. "Nephrite..."
Nephrite: "Beryl, darling, we are going about this invasion all wrong! How you met the Japanese?"
"Hmmm… this is a powerful source of energy you've discovered. Perhaps I should investigate… personally."

I think at about this point the Colonel walks in and declares it's gotten much too silly…

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Typically, so I can pile on extra damage while my third character is either healing, buffing, or busting out 25% cost Luminaire. Depends on particular battle, though.
Let's be honest: Once you have 25% cost Luminaire, you don't need anything else to win, really.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User

I do find the differences between the dub and sub in some areas interesting. Now generally the dub's voices are terrible, but those that are good are often good in ways totally different from their original Japanese character.
I love Molly!Naru's accent to pieces. :)

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User

I love Molly!Naru's accent to pieces. :)
Hah. Somehow her New Yorkish Jew accent does seem to work even better for the character than the regular Japanese one. But the dub Usagi, all of them, were pretty bad, either sounding too dufusy or too old or too heroic. The Japanese voice actress gets just the right note of youth, whininess and exuberance.

-Naxuul

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Falcon Hit against Lavo's final form-- it takes out the Element-Absorbing Bit in one hit, and damages the other two.

Also, early on and later, Antipode. The damage is intense.

FireSword 2, Cube Toss... there's a lot of dual techs that I use.

This is a crazy digression, isn't it?

JohnBiles

Validated User

Hah. Somehow her New Yorkish Jew accent does seem to work even better for the character than the regular Japanese one. But the dub Usagi, all of them, were pretty bad, either sounding too dufusy or too old or too heroic. The Japanese voice actress gets just the right note of youth, whininess and exuberance.

-Naxuul
All the characters sound like the dub in my head, due to my watching it all over and over several times. Even when I watch my subs, they try to sound like the dub chars in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom