• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Suits.

Bonus effect: a faerie can have an argument with themselves.

Queen Beryl: "Dude, why did you pull aggro? I wasn't ready!"
Queen Beryl: "You should have hurried up, I told you to go!"
Queen Beryl: "Rez plz."
Handmaiden #1 /?
Handmaiden #2: "We only need to get worried if she starts losing the argument."
Usagi: "More dots! MOAR DOTS!"
Rei: "There's only so much fire I can set a guy on at once."

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ha ha, niiice!

It's good that canon Naru doesn't have to deal with that **** all in one day, really...
Fun times: Count the episodes. Now check how much time passes during them, and see how often the girls have been getting into fights with monsters.

The number of fights per week is quite high...

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ha ha, niiice!

It's good that canon Naru doesn't have to deal with that **** all in one day, really...
Eh, it's all training for the future heir to the Kingdom. By the time she comes of age, she'll be practically unfazeable by anything the position can throw at her.

"Stone was her teacher in the ways of martial arts. Naru never heard him speak…"

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Fun times: Count the episodes. Now check how much time passes during them, and see how often the girls have been getting into fights with monsters.

The number of fights per week is quite high...
The Sailor Moon RPG book makes a case for there being about five episodes a month, actually.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
Which more or less matches with the actual airing of the series. One episode a week for about five years.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #22: Romance Under the Moon! Usagi's First Kiss.

Umino: "Tonight is the night of a fancy embassy ball in which the First Princess of the Diamond Kingdom is visiting Japan and being introduced to society!"
Usagi: "I don't remember any 'Diamond Kingdom' in geography class."
Sailor Moon's world is obviously slightly different from ours, with random small countries disseminated all over the globe. "Diamond Kingdom" is just the first of those.

A bit like how the Marvel Universe has tons of micro-countries in the Balkans, South-East Asia and Africa.

• SOON AFTER, IN LENG: Zoisite is crying to 'daddy'.
Zoisite: "…and then that bitch stole my job right out from under me! It's not fair, Master Kunzite!"
Kunzite /dramatically shadowed, long white hair, etc. "Patience, Zoi, patience. We can deal with Nephrite any time. Let's see just how skilled he really is."
Kunzite is a lot more impressive when he doesn't actually have to work.

Luna: "This princess might be the princess we're looking for!"
Usagi: "Oh, come on. Just because they're both princesses…"
Ami: "We can't completely ignore Luna's intuition."
Phobos: "Yeah, she only tried to kill you on accident once."
Luna's intuition is SHIT. Seriously...

Also, I think this is the first time they're actually looking for the princess, isn't it ?

Wait, 'other self'? So, like, he was actually inside Naru while he was controlling her?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww…
I prefer not to think about that. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the only time he (or any of his fellow generals) ever exhibited this power.

Spoiler: Show
Though Kunzite will later acquire a plot device with similar effects.

Ami: "Holy shit, it's Nephrite!"
Usagi: "…How can you tell? I just see a purple-and-red squiggle."
Rei: "Trust us, ¿okay?"
Yeah, I don't see it either. I suppose a case could be made that Nephrite is the one leading all Dark Kingdom offensives these days, but...

Usagi: "Oh, Christ, does that mean that Umino might actually be a hottie if he takes his glasses off?"
An interesting question... Which I'm not sure I want the answer of.

Dad: "My camera was busted! The scoop of the century and all the film was exposed! I am the unluckiest man in the world."
Odds on this "accident" being due to a jiujitsu-ing cat ?

Tuxedo Mask /proves he is no gentleman.
I had completely forgotten about that, and, er, ew. He probably didn't know she was drunk, but still...

Nephrite /observes in secret. "What a fucking waste of time!" /teleports home.
Well, yeah. This episode was a direct adaptation of manga Chapter 4, which is as close as the manga ever gets to a filler episode in its first arc. There is some plot progression (Naru's subplot is furthered a bit, the Sailor Team actually looks for the princess for once, Kunzite is introduced, Nephrite starts looking for the Macguffin, our heroines have their first decent conversation with Tuxedo Mask and learn his motivations), but absolutely nothing is resolved. Even the "first kiss" is a bit of a disappointment.

Spoiler: Show
The hunt itself for the Macguffin is mostly a waste of time too, but at least they framed it in an interesting way.

They also adapted this story in the live-action series for its 4th episode, but a lot more loosely. No nonsense about the Diamond Kingdom, for example (but its replacement isn't that much better, and the party is a lot less glamorous). The main problem was that Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask's relationship was a lot less advanced by that point in that continuity, so the episode had a lot less emotional impact (basically, they don't kiss).

At this point in the manga, Tuxedo Mask also gets his first clue about Sailor Moon's identity, but both anime and live-action series handled that plot point completely differently.

Last edited:

Albert

Validated User
Actually, I suspect that first kiss is may be something of a fantasy.

Consider: Usagi got her kiss. From a guy she crushes over. But she was tipsy at the time and doesn't need to blame herself for what happens. So, no emotional panic.

Maybe. If my model for how you man-creatures think is giving me an accurate prediction.

It wouldn't be the first time my emotizon calculations were off.

-Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom