• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

al103

Validated User
Re: Episode #25: Jupiter, the Brawn Girl in Love.

While Mars and Mercury just have the Chinese elemental associations of fire and water.
They have other associations thought... Mercury "smarts" and Mars being war leader in anime.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User

They have other associations thought... Mercury "smarts" and Mars being war leader in anime.
True, Mercury gets most of Mercury's astrological associations, from knowledge and education to medicine to water and compassion. Mars only slightly gets her associations though, Mars is a extremely male astrological symbol and Mars is pretty feminine overall. Going by their usual associations, Rei's take charge attitude and Mokoto's martial artsy masculinity would of meant switching their planets.

-Naxuul

anowack

RPGnet Member
Validated User

It's interesting that they never thought of awakening the Seven Great Youma before it became clear they were related to the MacGuffin. Of course, the reason why becomes obvious by the end of the episode : they're crap, barely above the level of a random Monster of the Week. The main problem for the Sailor Team was how not to kill their host, and they found a way around that quickly.
IIRC, a later flashback provides a reason why they're so "Great," despite not being all that at this point.

The associations of later Senshi, especially Uranus and Venus, can be.. confusing at times.
In my fanfic, I wound up decreeing that the Moon Kingdom's elemental system was based on the planets, so there were nine (well, ten, in that story) elements, one for each Senshi, that precisely matched. :D

nargun

Banned

Mars only slightly gets her associations though, Mars is a extremely male astrological symbol and Mars is pretty feminine overall.
Well, they all are, really. It's kinda the point: divergent, equally-valid takes on what it means to be female.

coeli

Persisting, somehow
Validated User
As an aside, I looked for this on Amazon, and was quite appalled at the price. And Netflix doesn't have it.

I am sad. (Only saw the dub when it was in syndication.)
That's because there is no current U.S. licensor. The Japanese company pulled the license and has refused all subsequent officers. I haven't the faintest idea why, since they would stand to make quite a bit of money. But these days the only options are expensive used copies or less-than-legal ones.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Shadowjack said:
"Dragon of the West."
Gargoylewing said:
Wait, WHAT !? First, stop interwining WIW threads, plus, Shadowjack, don´t spoiler Shadowjacks WIW thread with future hints. They could be seen as full out Spoilers !
Naturally, I have no idea to what you are referring!

But, hey, the moment I realized that Usagi was calling her Mako, I knew I had to throw in a reference to one of our favorite gravelly voice actors. Can't be Aku, so it's gotta be Iroh.

You know, I have only seen very little of Avatar (it's on the round-to-it list, never fear), but what I have seen, I quite enjoyed Iroh. Tea?

Except I don´t think the mentionning of green suns is appropriate here. Savvy ?
True. True.

Though if we wander off into Exalted for a moment… gosh, while it's tempting to assign castes, none of them quite matches up. You could lens it several ways. (Solars under a Sidereal advisor disguised as a housecat, or all Sidereals, suiting the planetary theme? Is it a Perfect Circle or not? And so on.)

At the end of the series, we should start making an overall image of this guy that dumped Mako in her past...I thought about it once for fun, but was too lazy...
Fine by me. Here's what we know so far, officially:
#1: Looks just like Joe.
#3: Sounds just like Motoki.
#2: Broke her heart by saying that Makoto "wasn't his type."

Kreuzritter said:
Zoicite, on the other hand, doesn't dick around. he just gets right in there and does the deed with his bare hands.
I noticed that, and it surprises me—and gives a reason why he kept dropping in on Nephrite. He just couldn't bear to watch him sit back and plot, and he couldn't bear to just sit back and send nasty telegrams urging him to action.

ru said:
around the time this aired, a girl having an extra-long skirt was a sign of delinquency. wierd, huh?
Now that you point out it, yes, that's right… and it is odd.

IIRC the prize he's picking up in the crane game is a chibi Sailor Mercury
Yup, and you can spot the others in the pile…*among with various monsters and other critters. A number of green things just reminsicent enough of the little dudes from Toy Story to make me think of that movie ("Farewell my friends! I go to a better place!") but not enough so to make me think Pixar was riffing.

:)[/QUOTE]

As an aside, I looked for this on Amazon, and was quite appalled at the price. And Netflix doesn't have it.

I am sad. (Only saw the dub when it was in syndication.)
Oh, good lord, yes.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Why didn´t [their great ruler] say this earlier...
Well, it was dormant before that : it took all the energy Queen Beryl fed her at the beginning of the episode to slightly awake it.

At the end of the series, we should start making an overall image of this guy that dumped Mako in her past...I thought about it once for fun, but was too lazy...:p
Considering all the other guys that are supposed to "look just like him" (none of them looking alike), he's either a shapeshifter or a Picasso painting come to life.
Spoiler: Show
According to his Wikimoon page, there's a small flashback vaguely showing his face in an early Season 2 episode.

Yes, but you know what ? Despite this, those Youma episodes I really liked, even if it only brings in some once-then-off-characters. But the characters were even interesting, and made up for interesting episodes, so... I ALLOW IT !
:cool:
There's nothing inherently wrong with the adaptation introducing original plots, if it's done well. And for the first season, it IS done well : the Naru/Nephrite subplot was a lot of fun, and the Rainbow Crystals arc will be even better.

Heck, the Ail/Ann "filler" arc may be my favourite part of Season 2, and the "anime-original" segment of Season 5 was the only part of it I liked. You could also consider that most of the live-action series' plot was original, and I loved that.

sorry Rei, Ami's still your freind, but she's only got eyes for mako
The amount of Ami/Makoto fanfics is indeed phenomenal.

Zoicite, on the other hand, doesn't dick around. he just gets right in there and does the deed with his bare hands.
Indeed, and that's another thing to like about him. I wouldn't be surprised if all of my favourite villains in this series adopted these tactics.

Well, besides Professor Tomoe, whom I just love for his laid-back attitude and first-grade mad laughter.

On an unrelated note, I was wondering why Makoto's voice felt so familiar. Well, the same voice-actress is playing Natsuhi in Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry), a character who looks like this...

Cruton

Retired User
Now that you point out it, yes, that's right… and it is odd.
It's a visual reference back to the old sukeban all-girl gangs of the 60s. Part of the gang culture was the conceit of maintaining chastity and purity (while huffing paint thinner and going at rival gang's faces with razors), so members would wear longer, conservative skirts to project the right image. These particular gangs faded away in the seventies, but the image remains popular in Japanese culture. Now, much like t-shades or a leather jacket, it's just a quick way to say, "Hey, this character is a bad cookie."

Although, the first time I watched Sailor Moon, I assumed that because Makoto was so tall, they just didn't have a school issue uniform in her size, so she wore a personal one.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Although, the first time I watched Sailor Moon, I assumed that because Makoto was so tall, they just didn't have a school issue uniform in her size, so she wore a personal one.
There's a line of dialogue confirming this theory in this episode (though I think she just got it in one of her previous schools).

When Makoto enters high school in the 5th season, she gets a proper uniform similar to everyone else's.

Cruton

Retired User

Well, besides Professor Tomoe, whom I just love for his laid-back attitude and first-grade mad laughter.

A day in the life of Professor Tomoe.

-Wake up

-Yoga

-See Hotaru off to school

-Touch base with Yuji about the Q5786 grant application

-Proof student fellowship application

-Lab meeting with the Five Witches, discuss budget, latest census data

-Boxed lunch, while reading papers

-Go down secret lab door

-"GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!"

-Put Stouffer's lasagna in the oven

-Inexplicably tense dinner with Hotaru and Kaorinite

-Read a book

-Kiss Hotaru goodnight and turn off the many, many lamps

-Fall asleep watching late night kaiju

There is nothing not to love about this post-modern family man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom