• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a line of dialogue confirming this theory in this episode (though I think she just got it in one of her previous schools).

Spoiler: Show
When Makoto enters high school in the 5th season, she gets a proper uniform similar to everyone else's.
Yeah, it's the uniform for her old school. Juuban Junior High doesn't have one in her size, so she's stuck with the old one.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a visual reference back to the old sukeban all-girl gangs of the 60s. Part of the gang culture was the conceit of maintaining chastity and purity (while huffing paint thinner and going at rival gang's faces with razors), so members would wear longer, conservative skirts to project the right image. These particular gangs faded away in the seventies, but the image remains popular in Japanese culture. Now, much like t-shades or a leather jacket, it's just a quick way to say, "Hey, this character is a bad cookie."

Although, the first time I watched Sailor Moon, I assumed that because Makoto was so tall, they just didn't have a school issue uniform in her size, so she wore a personal one.
Interesting. A trope I knew nothing of. Thanks!

I basically thought similarly as you did, plus:

#1: She's tall; the standard uniforms may not be available in her sizes. Either that or she just transferred.
#2: She's self-assured enough to carry off this minor bit of rulebreaking. (I immediately thought of Utena's dodge: "The handbook just says a uniform, it doesn't say, a girl's uniform…")
#3: The dress looks hand-made to me, implying A) she might be poor, or at least not rich, and/or B) she or someone close to her is handy with crafts.
#4: It's a nice dress, so we're assured that although violent, she's a nice person, rather than some scruffy punk. (Basic visual coding: The bad girls, i.e. demons, get the absurd or slutty clothing, while the good girls, i.e. the Senshi, get the uniforms and teen wear.)

And in verifying how to spell sêrâ-fuku, I discovered another of those marvellous bits of sly Wikipedia humor. The Wikipedia article, when discussing the popularity of the fuku in otaku circles, has by way of illustration "Wikipedia-tan." That's right, some cheeky contributor drew a -tan just for the website. Clicking on the image links you to the article on moe anthromorphization. :)

(Other Wikipedia photos that have made me smile lately include the images used for the article on "cat senses" and the entry for "the forehead.")

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
And in verifying how to spell sêrâ-fuku, I discovered another of those marvellous bits of sly Wikipedia humor. The Wikipedia article, when discussing the popularity of the fuku in otaku circles, has by way of illustration "Wikipedia-tan." That's right, some cheeky contributor drew a -tan just for the website. Clicking on the image links you to the article on moe anthromorphization. :)
The article on Moe Anthropomorphism is full of win.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #26: Bring a Smile to Naru's Face! Usagi's Friendship.

Episode #26: Bring a Smile to Naru's Face! Usagi's Friendship.

Naru who? Oh, yeah, her.

• A NEW RECAP!
"She's sweet! She's strong! Ladies and gentleman, the Terror of Tokyo, the Two Fists in a Fuku, Makoto the Mauler, SAILOR JUPITER. It's like we're unbeatable now, you know?"

• A MIST SHROUDED CASTLE:
Mysterious Pigtails: "Hurry! Please find the MacGuffin!"
Tuxedo Mask: "What is it? Where is it? Who are you?"
Mysterious Pigtails: "Sorry, Tuxedo Mask, but the explanation is in another castle!"

• MAMORU WAKES UP in his nice open-plan apartment.
Mamoru: "Could I be Tuxedo Mask and not know it?"

• LENG:
Queen Beryl: "The first one was probably the easy one. What's your plan for the second?"
Zoisite: "Well, I've already located it! No problem!"

• STOP! CRYSTAL TIME!
Dark Crystal shard, spin, spin, spin, tell us the mortal that the next one is in! And the victim of today's story is: a Catholic priest who looks a little like Walt Disney.

• THAT DAY AT SCHOOL:
Ms. Haruna: "…caused an explosion that melted the Antarctic ice cap and caused a shift of Earth's axis; climate changes and gigantic floods followed. Two billion people in the southern hemisphere were directly killed by the ensuing tsunamis. As a result of the subsequent chaos, wars broke out due to…"
Usagi: "Naru's skipped school again…"

Flashback to Nephrite's death. They cut the genuine pathos with a little light music.

• AFTER SCHOOL:
Umino: "Why am I walking with you?"
Usagi: "I'm going to visit Naru and try to cheer her up!"
Umino: "I thought she was sick! And that doesn't explain why I'm coming along."
Usagi: "…Because why should I have all the fun of being around you?"
Umino: "Oh, boy! Fun's my middle name!!"

• AND SO: Naru's place.
Naru /stares out the window and says nothing.
Umino: "So, you're not sick. Was your heart broken by someone?"
Usagi /punches Umino, HARD.
Umino: "Ow. Well, here, how about we go out and eat a chocolate parfait?"
Usagi /punches Umino, HARDER.
Umino: "OW. Spin the bottle?"
Naru /brave smile. "You guys want to go out somewhere?"

• THE TEMPLE: I suppose you're wondering why I called you all here today…
Luna: "The power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of this MacGuffin."
Makoto: "So where is it? What is it? How does it work?"
Luna: "… I… don't… know."
Ami: "Perfect."
Luna: "But! I do remember a lead, a story I heard a long time ago…" /explains about the Seven Wizards From Hell, etc. etc.
Makoto /strikes dramatic pose. "They won't do it while I'm here."
Rei /strikes dramat– damn it. "You stole my line."
Luna: "Now, listen, the one thing that can track them is this magic wand I gave Usagi—"
All: "You WHAT?!"
Phobos and Deimos /cackle with amusement.
Ami: "Luna! You know that if she doesn't lose it, she'll break it, or try to eat it, or use it as a coat rack, or…"
Luna: "Okay, I know it's true that Usagi has no sense of duty, and is undependable, and is flighty, and has poor academic ability, and has terrible impulse control, and… ahem. I thought that if she was the leader, she'd, you know, grow into the responsibility? Maybe? Come on, give her a chance!"
Makoto: "Should we vote on it?"
Rei: "I'm against it."
Ami /feeling guilty. "Well, maybe if…"
Rei /secret nerve pinch.
Ami /!
Makoto: "Oh, come on, she can't be that goofy. I'll go with the talking cat."
Luna: "Right, one against, one abstention, and two in favor. Motion carries! You'll see, Makoto, she really has many good qual–"
Makoto's gizmophone rings!
Usagi: "Just calling to tell you that I can't come to the secret meeting because I'm off to Chinatown with Naru and Umino to stuff ourselves sick with yummy food!" /hangs up.
Phobos and Deimos /fall off the roof, laughing.
Luna: "And maybe I'll just eat CROW."

• CHINATOWN, MY CHINATOWN!
…Actually, a graveyard nearby.
Naru /tearing up. "So many tombs, but not even a small one for Nephrite…"
Usagi /strangling Umino because he just won't SHUT UP. "What?"
{Naru has left the scene.}
Usagi: "Hey!"

• NARU FINDS A PRIEST!
Naru: "Excuse me, Father? Someone precious to me died, he suffered so much, but I was unable to help him. What should I do?"
Father Disney: "Trust in the Lord, my child; I can see you have a beautiful heart, and I'm sure his soul was saved."
Naru: "But now I have nothing left."
Father Disney: "That's not true! Love will be right next to you before you know it."
Naru: "Right next to me?"
Zoisite /just happens by. "Good afternoon!"
Naru /raises eyes to Heaven. "O Lord, thou art fucking cruel."
Zoisite: "What's He got to do with this?"

• CUT BACK TO: Umino and Usagi.
Usagi: "Naru!"
Umino: "Naru!"
Usagi: "This isn't working. Let's split up and search for clues."
Umino: "Jinkies!" /runs off.

{Usagi's wand is tinkling!}
Usagi /?
Luna: "The Wand is responding to the presence of the Rainbow Crystal!"
Usagi: "The what to the what? And when did you get here?"
Luna: "No time to explain! Call in Makoto and follow that wand!"
Usagi: "When did she get here? Why not the others? I am so confused…"

• ONE QUICK CHASE/PURSUIT MONTAGE LATER: The graveyard.
Father Disney: "Who are you?"
Zoisite: "Wouldn't you rather learn more about yourself?"
Father Disney: "I'm just a simple priest."
Zoisite: "Oh, really? Now y–"
Naru /stomps Zoisite's foot and steals the Dark Crystal Shard.
Father Disney /!
Zoisite /hops around on one foot.
Naru /skedaddles.
Zoisite /pursues, limping.
Luna /just arriving. "Wait! Wait! Wait for reinforcements!"
Usagi /just arriving. "Naru's in trouble, damn it."

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 25
Usagi into Disguise Form: 7
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 8
Rei into Sailor Mars: 6
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 1
Makoto into Sailor Jupiter: 1

• TADA! Wait, come back here!
Zoisite /tackles Naru.
Naru /fights back.
Father Disney: "Stop this senseless violence!"
Usagi: "What he said!"
Zoisite: "Worry about yourself!"

• ASTOUNDINGLY IAMBENT SUMMONING SEQUENCE!
Swirls of pink smoke and fire transform the priest into a claw-footed, eagle-winged, blonde Herculean boxer with a bell and sound system on his title belt. Also, he has a robot dog-thing, for some reason.

The orange crystal shoots off into the distance somewhere at random.

• TADA!
Zoisite: "Ah… oops."
Usagi: "You have got to be kidding me."
Boxsy: "I AM THE MONSTER BOXSY!" /cues up "Gonna Fly Now."
<< Boxsy uses Lovely Punch on Sailor Moon! >>
<< Sailor Moon dodges, barely! >>
Usagi: "Makoto, hurry up!"
Boxsy: "I AM THE KING OF KINGS!"
Naru: "Bull!"
<< Boxsy uses Lovely Punch on Naru! >>
Umino /dramatic SAVE, at the last moment!
<< Attack misses! >>
Usagi: "Whoa, who knew he could use his powers for good?"
<< Boxsy uses Lovely Punch on Sailor Moon! >>
Tuxedo Mask /dramatic SAVE, at the last moment!

Tuxedo Mask: "You shouldn't hit pretty girls!"
Usagi /mutters. "Hell, you shouldn't hit anybody…"
Zoisite: "Knock out that snooty guy!"
<< Boxsy uses Lovely Punch on Tuxedo Mask! >>
<< Tuxedo Mask dodges, easily. >>
Usagi /notices that Tuxedo Mask has dropped something.
< ?????? : TECH > SHIELD : SELF >>
<< Boxsy uses Triple Punch on Tuxedo Mask! >>
<< Tuxedo Mask parries! >>

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 25
Usagi into Disguise Form: 7
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 8
Rei into Sailor Mars: 6
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 1
Makoto into Sailor Jupiter: 2

• TADA!
Usagi: "Go get that boxer, Little Mak!"
Zoisite: "Okay, is everyone in Tokyo planning on joining this fight?"
Ryoga /consults map. "This is Tokyo?"
Ranma /grabs Ryoga. "Yes, and we're supposed to be in the graveyard across the street. Come on!"
Zoisite: "Anyone else?"
Zoisite: "All right, carry on."
< MAKOTO : TECH > THUNDERGA : BOXSY >
<< Boxing Gloves destroyed! >>
<< Boxsy is shocked! >>
< USAGI : TECH > REFRESH : BOXSY >
<< MOON HEALING ESCALATION! Boxsy reverts to Father Disney! >>
Father Disney: "I love you just the way you are."
Usagi: "Damn straight."
Tuxedo Mask /holds up the Orange Crystal. "Yoink!"
Zoisite: "Frell!"
Luna: "Quick, steal the Crystal from Tuxedo Mask!"
Usagi: "What crystal? You didn't explain that earlier."
Exit Tuxedo Mask, dramatically, with swirl of cape!
Luna: "DAMN IT!"

• A FEW BLOCKS AWAY: Tuxedo Mask regards the sunset, and the Orange Crystal.
Tuxedo Mask reverts to Mamoru — the first time we've seen one of the heroes revert. A simple dissolve.
Mamoru: "Aha! So I am Tuxedo Mask. Well, it's better than epilepsy."

• DENOUEMENT:
Naru /bandages up Umino with the same bandage she used for Nephrite.
Usagi: "Shouldn't you be worried about cross-infection?"
Naru: "The blood disappeared, too, remember."
Usagi: "Oh, yeah, right."
Umino: "What blood?"
Naru /Subject Changing Prana. "What's that you've got there?"
Usagi /holds up a star-shaped locket, which plays the theme song when it opens. "Just a little something I picked up." :)

Luna: "I'm sorry, Makoto, I called you all the way out here to show you Usagi's good side, but instead–"
Makoto: "–well, didn't you sort of succeed? She leaps into the fight to save her friends…"
Luna: "Well, I guess, yeah, you're right."
Usagi: "Hey, Luna, got a question for you."
Luna: "Oh, boy."
Usagi /points at Naru. "How come she hasn't Exalted yet? Apart from my recruitment, the key element seems to be standing up to the Dark Kingdom face-to-face, and this is her second or third go-round… I mean, come on! Monsters flock to her anyway. She could be Sailor… uh, what's that asteroid?"
Makoto: "Ceres."
Usagi: "Sailor Ceres, maybe? Or Sailor Earth! Earth and Moon, fighting side by side! Hmmm?"
Luna: "You're not cleared for that information."
Usagi: "You mean you don't know."
Luna: "Maybe I do know and I just lost the wand. Did you think of that, clever girl, hmm?"
Makoto: "You really lost the wand?"
Luna: "…You're not cleared for that information."

Last edited:

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fun fact: the name and form of the monster that the priest takes after his crystal is removed is because "priest" in Japanese is "bokushi"...hence, "Boxey the boxer".

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #26: Bring a Smile to Naru's Face! Usagi's Friendship.

Naru who? Oh, yeah, her.
I like that the writers haven't forgotten about her now that the Nephrite arc is over, and were considerate enough to bring her some closure here.

Too bad most of the rest of the episode sucked.

• A NEW RECAP!
But still no Sailor Jupiter in the opening titles. Sigh.

Flashback to Nephrite's death. They cut the genuine pathos with a little light music.
Eh. That tune is usually okay, but it's completely misplaced here (and a big step down from the "Locket Song").

{Usagi's wand is tinkling!}
Erk ! That sound effect is horrible, and completely ruins the somber mood of Naru's grief they had built since the beginning of the episode.

And then the priest turns in a ---ing dayglo winged boxer. WTF ?

I mean, I genuinely like the broad strokes of the plot here - bring closure to Naru, and shift Tuxedo Mask into a more antagonistic role by having him hunt for the Rainbow Macguffins too - but the execution is terrible, especially in the second half of the episode. Characters randomly wander into scenes because just it's convenient, and the Monster of the Week is just embarrassing.

(Also, what happened to the idea that the hosts of the Seven Great Youma had some sort of supernatural power ?)

At least Naru manages to save her dignity (I loved her look of hatred towards Zoisite), and her part of the plot does come through. But the rest of the episode is a mess.

Tuxedo Mask reverts to Mamoru — the first time we've seen one of the heroes revert. A simple dissolve.
Oh, a very rare occurence. I wasn't even aware it even happened in this season.
The back shot of Uranus detransforming in Season 3 is much more famous.

Usagi /points at Naru. "How come she hasn't Exalted yet? Apart from my recruitment, the key element seems to be standing up to the Dark Kingdom face-to-face, and this is her second or third go-round… I mean, come on! Monsters flock to her anyway. She could be Sailor… uh, what's that asteroid?"
Makoto: "Ceres."
Usagi: "Sailor Ceres, maybe? Or Sailor Earth! Earth and Moon, fighting side by side! Hmmm?"
The irony being that there is a Sailor Ceres, and it's canon that there cannot be a Sailor Earth - Mamoru takes the slot.

Oh, and technically Naru became Sailor N in a live-action OVA... but it doesn't count, obviously.

No-Brand Hero

Heroicus Genericus
Validated User

(Also, what happened to the idea that the hosts of the Seven Great Youma had some sort of supernatural power ?)
He's a priest. Presumably he can do all the standard things anime priests can do, like banish demons and whatnot. If he'd been attacked by a youma or something, he might've had a chance to show it. It's just his bad luck that the Shitennou in charge of gathering the crystals is a little more hands-on that previous quirky minibosses.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User

Well, the priest did not fall unconcious after being retransformed, but shines with some preach-like words...
Most other of the 7 youmas collaps after the healing escalation.
Naturally, I have no idea to what you are referring!
Seems my problem. I tend to make witty remarks that make funny sense when you reach the point in the series. Sadly, by the time whereIwatchers reach this scene, they mostly might have forgotten that I made such a little witty remark at all. Gotta have to tell UM...
I quite enjoyed Iroh. Tea?
Yes. ;) You, again, have no idea how right you are here. :)
Fine by me. Here's what we know so far, officially:
#1: Looks just like Joe.
#3: Sounds just like Motoki.
#2: Broke her heart by saying that Makoto "wasn't his type."
I pressume, the latter, by telling her, she was too tall...;)
But still no Sailor Jupiter in the opening titles. Sigh.
Erm, I beg to differ. Innerly, all are here. It is just a shadow, so we cannot tell if she is transformed, but the skirt of the Silhuette seems too short to be Mako-chans middle school uniform...

A gal in a waving skirt, fists in her hips, a ponytail, and 1 foot taller than Usagi on the other side of the well. Hm, who could this just be...?

Last edited:

Andrensath

Social Justice Valkyrie
Validated User

A gal in a waving skirt, fists in her hips, a ponytail, and 1 foot taller than Usagi on the other side of the well. Hm, who could this just be...?
[nitpick]That's a fountain, not a well.[/nitpick]

Kreuzritter

Validated User
i figured the priest got empathy s his power. granted, it comes with the territory, but he seemed to know what she needed to hear.

as for naru, as discussed. she's already fae. she can't exalt, but thigs could get...interesing if you get her back into the Wyld/Leng (on that note shadowjack from appearances thus far would you classify Big C as a yozi or a neverborn?)

and, i may be considrably off on this, but there does seem to be a recurrent theme to the 7 wizards of hell (admitedly, the dub contributed t this theory.)

aside from the fact that we've had our first two male youma in the entire series thus far, what have these guys had in common?

they're sins

boxy is wrath (in the dub, the uncursed preist decries violence), and the other guy was greed (host did just give his prizes away)

and, because i reading the thread, i realized nobody brought this up, the dub did partake in the anime practice of inset songs. most of these episodes won't appear... for some time, but when they do i'll link them up

so, first on the list, is I Wanna Be A Star, which made it's debut in the english language adaptation of episode 7.

speaking of dubs, jupiter's voice was Sue roman, who did a lot of voice work back in the day (such as Heavy Metal and megaman legends 2, off the top of my head)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom