• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[In Which I Watch] Sailor Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruton

Retired User
Re: Episode #32: Umino's Resolve! I'll Protect Naru.

Luna: "BEHOLD, PEOPLE OF EARTH! I WAS SENT HERE FROM THE MOON!"
Makoto: "…" /points up. "That 'the Moon'?"
Luna: "Yes."
Makoto: "No shit. That sounds like something out of a fairy tale."
LUNA: You and your third dimension.
MAKOTO: What about it?
LUNA: Nothing. It's cute. We have five.

The Amazing Glow-Stick Girl and her Leg-Warmers of Doom?
Oh my stars and garters, I have a new favorite mental image.

Blazing Bat

Validated User

In the Sailor Moon Abridged episode of this, Mamoru is flailing ineffectually at the flower blossom tornado distraction for most of the fight while the real battle happens elsewhere.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

• BRIEFING AT THE TEMPLE: Once again, marvel at the sight of Ami in a properly-coordinated outfit. She's learned!
That's probably Makoto's influence.

Usagi: "So, we're fighting to preserve the bloodline of a hereditary aristocracy on another planet? That seems a little… awkward, politically, to say the least."
A lot of fanfic writers latched on the possibility that the Moon Kingdom may be quite dodgy indeed, making our heroines' actions misguided at best.

Then came the second season, and its very unfortunate implications. But we'll come to that later.

So it should be no surprise that the live-action writers did what they did...

Usagi: "Oh, that's just the Tokyo Radio Tower. I made the mistake of feeding it once, and now it comes sniffing for treats every time it sees me."
HOW would you feed the Tokyo Radio Tower ? Never mind : WHAT would you feed it with ?

Zoisite: "Alchemy! Far more sensible than that astrology nonsense. Observe! I have upgraded the Dark Crystal. Now I can transform any human I please into a hideous raving monster, which isn't much of a difference, ho ho! Because if there's one thing Earth needs, it's more hideous raving monsters."
Dark Crystal, Dark Crystal, does whatever a crystal can...

Seriously, how many random new powers will this thing get ? Nevermind that transforming people into monsters is far more powerful (and nastier) an ability than anything else...

By the way, I can admire how straightforward Zoisite's plan is. The Sailor Team has a Rainbow Macguffin. Naru is obviously a friend of theirs, considering the events of episode 24. So let's ransom the crystal by transforming Naru into a monster. Simple, but clever.

And even though most of the details go horribly wrong, the overall plan works. Zoisite gets the macguffin. Now he's only missing Tuxedo Mask's.

Rainbow Macguffin count : Zoisite has 5, Tuxedo Mask 2, and the Sailor Team 0. Oops ?

Naru: "Why me? Is my name in the Yellow Pages under 'Targets'?"
I think Zoi still hates you for the whole Nephrite thing.

• DENOUEMENT #3: Castlevania.
Zoisite /looking in mirror. "Do you think I'd look good with glasses?"
Zoisite indulging into cosplay ? This cannot be !
Spoiler: Show
Next episode : Zoisite in drag. Because you demanded it.

Kreuzritter said:
also, enjoy this, that was the last male youma we'll be seeing for a looong time
WRONG !
There's that iceskater in the Kunzite miniarc.

Blazing Bat said:
In the Sailor Moon Abridged episode of this, Mamoru is flailing ineffectually at the flower blossom tornado distraction for most of the fight while the real battle happens elsewhere.
That's pretty much what happens in the real episode too.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

That's probably Makoto's influence.
Either that, or Rei finally found some "how-to" books.

A lot of fanfic writers latched on the possibility that the Moon Kingdom may be quite dodgy indeed, making our heroines' actions misguided at best.
A possibility! But mainly I'm just poking fun at the classic fantasy trope of the Good Kingdom. Especially when Japan's own monarch is only tenuously connected to the government… :)

HOW would you feed the Tokyo Radio Tower ? Never mind : WHAT would you feed it with ?
I'd better not tell you, the answer may disturb you.

Seriously, how many random new powers will this thing get ? Nevermind that transforming people into monsters is far more powerful (and nastier) an ability than anything else...
It's also a dessert topping and a floor wax. Makes Julienne fries! Will not break!

Next, the famous Dark Kingdom tupperware! I have never seen one of these intact before…

By the way, I can admire how straightforward Zoisite's plan is. The Sailor Team has a Rainbow Macguffin. Naru is obviously a friend of theirs, considering the events of episode 24. So let's ransom the crystal by transforming Naru into a monster. Simple, but clever.

And even though most of the details go horribly wrong, the overall plan works. Zoisite gets the macguffin. Now he's only missing Tuxedo Mask's.
And I appreciate that Zoisite shrugs off the debacle and goes with what works. He's so far the most strategically-minded of the Generals; if there's trouble, back off and try a different angle; if there are results, pursue, even if the means are silly.

And Naru is freakin' screwed, unless she can get into a witness protection program. They know her name, face, and where she lives!

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

:) He does spend a high proportion of the real fight doing this…

And as soon as I wrote it, I realized that yes, Zoisite probably would look good in glasses. He could do the librarian thing, look over the rims sternly at the Sailors.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

And Naru is freakin' screwed, unless she can get into a witness protection program. They know her name, face, and where she lives!
On the other hand, you remember what happened to the last general who tried to screw with Naru, right ?

Cruton

Retired User

Then came the second season, and its very unfortunate implications. But we'll come to that later.

So it should be no surprise that the live-action writers did what they did...
I agree that certain elements of the second season tend to carry unsettling implications mostly due some very major events being used as a MacGuffin. But I think the Moon Kingdom generally gets a bad rap because they're always expected to confirm to the standards and problems of earthly politics. Which is why I really like Shadowjack's "evil fairy court" portrayal of the Dark Kingdom -- because it implies that the Moon Kingdom was also a literal fairy court and so there's a cool element of fairies being reborn as humans at work here. Which makes the whole scenario a tad less ridiculous/sinister.

That said, yeah.... certain future events do look really, really suspicious because they end up being so flimsily justified they start to sound a little like Miracleman...

Usagi: So, future, right? I expect there's like a UN senate or a science counsel or something like that?

Setsuna: No. Just us.

/pause

Usagi: ...oh. And you don't think all that power might, you know, make you a little crazy?

Setsuna: Only the insane never doubt their sanity.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User

So, I guess, from the Senshis POV, Operation 32 must count as a failure, then ?

• NIGHT! A dog barks.
Luna is checking in. "Come in, Friend Computer. I'm pleased to report that the team is coming together."
Friend Computer: "Good for you! Soon you'll have all five Sailors together, and the Dark Kingdom is becoming more active. Permission granted to give the Sailor Scouts access to clearance level 3 information."
Luna: "Finally!"
To be fair, this sounds a lot less silly than the actual code going...;)
Luna: "BEHOLD, PEOPLE OF EARTH! I WAS SENT HERE FROM THE MOON!"
Makoto: "…" /points up. "That 'the Moon'?"
Luna: "Yes."
Makoto: "No shit. That sounds like something out of a fairy tale."
Ami: "Honey, you have super powers."
Makoto: "Yeah, but… the Moon. Isn't there no air?"
Luna: "If we win, you'll get to wear a pretty dress and dance with all the boys."
Usagi: "I accept your terms!"
Rei: "¿Can I come too?"
This, also, will make a (slightly bit) more sense when you learn more about it later...
Shadowjack said:
ZOISITE HAS TAKEN UP A NEW HOBBY:
Zoisite: "Alchemy! Far more sensible than that astrology nonsense. Observe! I have upgraded the Dark Crystal. Now I can transform any human I please into a hideous raving monster, which isn't much of a difference, ho ho! Because if there's one thing Earth needs, it's more hideous raving monsters."
OK, here I have to play devils advocate...
First: It is Crystallomancy, to be exactely, which, considering the names of the evil guys in this series, seems quite fitting. Second, this is not new to Zoisite, otherwise I doubt Beryll would let Zoi "play" with such an important object, and third, it seems to be more than a hobby, as s/he is doing quite well in it, think about the success in its usage...
Shadowjack said:
NARU'S PLACE: A dog barks.
Enter Zoisite, in a swirl of rose petals. "Candygram for Naru Osaka!"
Umino /?
Zoisite /!
Zoisite: "How'd Tuxedo Mask get here before me? I have drastically underestimated the intelligence-gathering capabilities of the Earth forces! I'd better retreat…"
Exit Zoisite, in a swirl of rose petals.
Umino: "What the hell was that?!"
OK, I confess, that bit made me laugh...:)
Shadowjack said:
Zoisite: "Hand over the crystal, or I'll kill all those algae-coated people."
Usagi: "…Did you really say 'kill'?"
:eek:
In fact, yes. Yes, Zoi did ! Guess he really is a planner...
Shadowjack said:
Usagi /extracts the Crystal from her talent.
Oh, WAIT !
From where did you know that pun !?
AFAIK we weren´t even near this episode...

Shadowjack said:
Usagi: "Er… let's see if I strike a glancing blow with this thing."
< USAGI : TECH > MOONTIARA : REDMONST >
<< Red Monster is stunned! >>
Oh, yes, right...She learned to "dose" her tiara...:p

OK, now that, I still haven´t got our list of the 7 devils with crystal color and guessed sin, have I ?

Shadowjack said:
A dog barks.
This will be important in later episodes...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom