• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

In Which Shadowjack Watches Sailor Moon S (you are thread No. 6)

Cruton

Retired User
Re: Episode #90: Premonition of the World's End? Mysterious New Soldiers.

The Nothing /consumes the buildings.
The Nothing /consumes the people.
The Nothing /consumes Usagi.
The Nothing /consumes Mako.
The Nothing /consumes Ami.
The Nothing /consumes Mina.
Rei: "¡NO!"
The Nothing /consumes ALL!
I do like that the Great Big Evil of 1993 starts off vague and occult. Not too much spoiled too fast. Also, terrifying.

DISK CRAPS OUT
Dang. That would've been maddening.

Busily working at the table is a mad scientist, humanoid, male, neither obviously old or young. His primary distinguishing features are his eyeglasses and his sharp, sharp grin, both of which glint rather too brightly for sane people to be comfortable.
Two things I instantly loved about this guy the first time we saw him. First, he had a wonderful minimalist character design. I thought that worked great for a villain, especially one with little overt supernatural powers. Second, when they showed him making the demon egg -- This is a self-made supervillain. No summoning rituals or legions of pre-fab androids. He doing all of this by hand.

That alone makes him perfectly badass...

"THIS, my latest and most BRILLIANT creation, will UNERRINGLY seek out, pursue, and EXTRACT only the purest light of the human soul—and with that, I shall achieve the HOLY GRAIL! It's so simple, a child could do it! Find the three chosen ones—obviously those with the purest hearts—EXTRACT and purify their heart's light into a physical crystallization—thus embodying the THREE TALISMANS of legend—gather them at one place, and the HOLY GRAIL APPEARS! And then—"
Kaorinite: "And then, yes?"
"—THE WORLD SHALL BE OURS! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Then he opens his mouth and you realized he would probably eat someone's eyeballs with a melon scooper. He's intimidating by virtue of being A.) ridiculously committed and B.) crazier than a Monty Python sketch.

Usagi: "I could have, but I didn't want to admit I knew what some of those words meant!"
Oh, Ikuhara, never change....

Usagi: "WHAT?!"
Ami: "WHAT?!"
Rei: "¡¿QUE?!"
Mako: "WHAT?!"
Mina: "WHAT?!"
Mamoru: "WHAT?!"
Luna: "WHAT?!"
Artemis: "Oh, shit."
A cheap ploy for suspense, but it works. Even if we've had this song-and-dance all ready.

Mako: "Also, tits."

The older I get, the more I love Sailor Moon S.

Dallbun

Validated User
Shadowjack said:
Usagi: "I really hate scripted battles."
Yeah, that fight was a little too one-sided. It shrugging off Moon's attack was suitably intimidating, but overpowering everyone so easily just came off like contrivance.

JohnBiles said:
Just in case you don't know, Ikuhara is the director of this season. (He would go on to do Utena)
And for those who don't know, "nanpa" means to pick up girls, and "new-half" is a Japanese term for male-to-female transsexual folks (pre-op or no-op, I think?).

Cruton said:
Two things I instantly loved about this guy the first time we saw him. First, he had a wonderful minimalist character design. I thought that worked great for a villain, especially one with little overt supernatural powers. Second, when they showed him making the demon egg -- This is a self-made supervillain. No summoning rituals or legions of pre-fab androids. He doing all of this [/i]by hand.

Third, his voice, specifically his laugh! Sure, Beryl and Wiseman did maniacal laughs, but they didn't really commit themselves to it the way "Von Eyeglasses" here does.

Ratoslov

Exploding Murderer
Validated User

Mikuji /picks up the captured crystalline soul. "Hmm. This looks promising."
Usagi: "GIVE THAT BACK, YOU—!" /sobs. "GIVE REI BACK! Damn it, Rei, why didn't you say something?"

Rei appears to have stopped breathing.
Usagi: "REIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!" /runs.
Usagi /gets there before anyone else. "Somebody gimme the soul, hurry!"
Ratoslov begins laughing inappropriately.

You Madoka fans out there know why.

Aaron Peori

Retired User
Yeah, that fight was a little too one-sided. It shrugging off Moon's attack was suitably intimidating, but overpowering everyone so easily just came off like contrivance.
Utterly overpowering the non-Moon!Senshi is a pretty standard power for most YotW.

Third, his voice, specifically his laugh! Sure, Beryl and Wiseman did maniacal laughs, but they didn't really commit themselves to it the way "Von Eyeglasses" here does.
Yep, Von Eyeglasses voice actor did a fantastic job on that laugh.

----------------
Epsilon

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Nitpick: that was a Quake, not a Sunbolt. I think. ^.^

Also: Mercury is the mistress of Ice. Now you've met the Mistress of Water FREAKING TIDAL WAVES and I can finally point that out.

Oh god I love von Eyeglasses. There's a reason why S is nearly everyone's favorite season.

Now you know why hearing Wiseman's invocation near the end of last season weirded me right out. And why all the Sailor Moon fans who watch new!Doctor Who are likewise freaking out over the latest Who season's Arc Words: "Silence will fall." :eek:

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User

It's a new musical mix, too.
This version of Moonlight Densetsu is performed by the cast of the musicals. It's perky.

DISK CRAPS OUT
DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!

(Heck, I test them in VLC specifically to ensure this doesn't happen.)

Rei: "Oh, I know what I want to do. Singer-songwriter, model, voice actress, political science blogger…"
A little anachronism never hurt anyone, right?

Dallbun

Validated User
Now you know why hearing Wiseman's invocation near the end of last season weirded me right out.[/I] :eek:
Actually,
Spoiler: Show
has The Silence been mentioned by name yet? If not, this comment is spoiler-y. Though Shadowjack seems to have gotten the "silent destruction" vibe of the premonition, anyway.

Peter Svensson said:
This version of Moonlight Densetsu is performed by the cast of the musicals.
Specifically, the cast of the first musical - the one you watched, Shadowjack. The musicals have tons of casts, most of them (IMHO) much better on the whole than the initial set.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Actually,
has The Silence been mentioned by name yet? If not, this comment is spoiler-y. Though Shadowjack seems to have gotten the "silent destruction" vibe of the premonition, anyway.
Rei's very first line, and I'm watching the same subs as Shadowjack, is "Silence is approaching."

Dallbun

Validated User
Ah, gotcha. I wasn't watching along, so I wasn't sure. :)

Aaron Peori said:
Utterly overpowering the non-Moon!Senshi is a pretty standard power for most YotW.
Good point. I guess this time just felt especially like they were going down a list checking people off. "Okay, Moon... Inner Senshi... Tuxedo Kamen... who else we got, the cats? let's take them out, too..."

Shay Guy

Validated User

First episode of the thread on post 87. A record for the SM threads, but the last Eva thread started on 100.

One bit I forgot to mention in my first reply -- wasn't...

"AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE"

...what the A in "Kakafonous A. Dischord" stood for?

And once again, out of my depth. Maybe I should get some actual experience in the area.

Kaorinite
/Google Image Search

Uh.

Wow.

Usagi /looks up at the sky. "Fate, I think I've finally figured you out. Reverse psychology! 'I sure hope I meet Mamoru soon! I'd love to show him my test!'"
Mamoru /materializes. "Sure thing." /takes the test.
Usagi /shakes fist at the sky. "CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!"
If you can develop a system to solve your problems, the universe can beat your system. Like tortoises breaking record players.

Usagi pirouettes, and the chorus sings, "Sailor Moon Super!" So that's what the S is for, I guess?
It just makes me think of Scrambled Eggs Super.

font="Courier"
Ooh! Upgrade!

Luna and Artemis scratch Mikuji.
Not "scratches"?

Top Bottom