• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

In Which Shadowjack Watches Sailor Moon S (you are thread No. 6)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
i've forgotten the exact timeline, but i think it's before Mamoru and Usagi have hooked up, and she and Rei are still (nominally) fighting over him.
I realized that on re-reading, and noting that Rei does the "Tuxedo Mask ♡" as he departs.

I always wonder about this - it's a common theme in anime and suchlike. Is it really so bad? may be a bit of a victim complex going on.
I suspect there may be a bit of such, but I've heard that, no, mothers really will pull their children away from the creepy otaku, and that every so often the Japanese tabloid cycle will do "did being an otaku DRIVE HIM TO KILL" stories. On the other hand, last I heard basically everyone reads manga (and Sailor Moon was a big mainstream hit), so there's probably a wide comfortable zone of "I really like this artist's work, and have collected everything he's done, and like to talk about the latest issues with my friends… but I'm not some otaku, no, of course not!"

Kind of like the line between ordinary sports talk and Raiders fans.

I like the idea of him lurking outside the window, just waiting for this to happen.
Apparently Mako doesn't, though…

heh. there's an awful lot of doujin about doujin. "draw what you know" ;)
I've seen a bunch of Touhou comics on the theme. (Usually Patchouli or Kaguya, but I also saw one series involving the umbrella girl Kogasa.

Here is what being on the internet all these years has done to me: In Hang In There, Kogasa-San!—I found it on Danbooru—the artist tells slice-of-life stories about himself and his equally-geeky wife by representing themselves and all their friends as characters from the Touhou games. So his wife is Sanae and he's Kogasa; yes, this means that the middle-aged, male artist is using a girl as his self-insert character. This barely makes me blink. It's only when I find out that he's done, in a different style, a hentai in which Sanae lovingly rapes Kogasa that I start to go, "Well, that's kind of odd."

Come to think of it, this sort of thing explains some people's reactions to otaku.)

I do always boggle about the idea of drafting your friends in to help - is unskilled labour really going to help?
I wouldn't dream of using unskilled labor since I'm pretty much a "do everything yourself" kind of artist, and I've attempted doing things the old-fashioned way just enough to know that an utter newb would be worse than me fucking it up myself, because at least I'd learn something in the process. But on the other hand, anyone who can draw a straight line and has neat handwriting could help ink panel borders and letter word balloons, and applying zip-a-tone could probably be done to a half-assed level by any reasonably crafty person, and industrial comics production usually is split up among multiple artists anyway. One guys pencils the main characters, somebody else inks the lines, sometimes there's a third or fourth guy doing the backgrounds, somebody else applies color, somebody else does the lettering… and on the other end of the scale, indy comics tend to be more of a one-man show. Since doujinshi artists are often aiming for work in the majors, they want to do it the way the pros do it.

And if you're on a deadline, you might not much care about quality, so long as it gets done. Which looks like what Rei does here… she doesn't quite want to say no, so she gives them a chance to prove that they're incompetent first. And then, just when she thinks she might pull it off with Ami's help, they drag Ami away from her…

there's 12 pages of text! that's too much for me, at least until my kanji knowledge gets much, much better - looking the damn things up by radical takes far too long. it's a shame, there's some nice illustrations.
Oh, I thought you meant just that one text box. I'd missed that the page numbers skip. :D

I once sat down with my brother to try and translate a page of a Star Wars doujinshi that came out of one of Tangency's image threads; he provided the rough Japanese knowledge, I provided the science-fiction and military English vocabulary, and we both are good with English. It took us a couple of hours to do just the first panel, and we broke off at that point, him muttering that he's obviously worse than he thought…

even that's a pretty loose translation: the original's "mou burubari bucchigiri yo". the dictionary lists bucchigiri "winning (a race) by a wide margin". buribari is in katakana, but i can't find anything relevant in the gitaigo dictionary either. I just mashed it into something that sounded vaguely grammatical.
Might be one of those weird sound-effects-that-isn't-a-sound-effect. Some things, I guess you just gotta be natively fluent to catch.

I pity the poor sucker who tries to translate anything I write. Since I often lose track of my own in-jokes and twisted English grammar for effect, I'd have to compile a translator's guide as long as the original text…

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I once sat down with my brother to try and translate a page of a Star Wars doujinshi that came out of one of Tangency's image threads; he provided the rough Japanese knowledge, I provided the science-fiction and military English vocabulary, and we both are good with English. It took us a couple of hours to do just the first panel, and we broke off at that point, him muttering that he's obviously worse than he thought…
while you can get by speaking Japanese with remarkably little, understanding it is a different kettle of fish without a solid grounding in the grammar (in my opinion). there are lots of auxiliaries and sentence patterns that you simply can't understand even if you were to know know the individual words. (for example, there's no way to know "shiyou to suru" means "to try to do" unless you just know it). also, as a pro-drop language, if you can't follow the general flow of what's going on, it's very easy to get completely lost.

sometimes a page might take ten minutes (mostly typesetting), sometimes I might get stuck for half an hour on a single kanji. slang can be a right bitch too, and don't even ask about kansai-ben ;) I suspect the secret to effective translation is knowing when to cut your losses :)

Might be one of those weird sound-effects-that-isn't-a-sound-effect. Some things, I guess you just gotta be natively fluent to catch.
them's "gitaigo". "giongo" are ordinary onomatopoeia (there's a third term for animal noises, but I can't be arsed to look it up). gitaigo are sound effects for abstract concepts. and man, they've got them for almost everything it seems. they're not just used in manga either, people use them in everyday conversation (donichi wa dou? gorogoro shiteta. how was your weekend? i just lazed around). my teacher tells me there was a famous baseball coach whose post-match interviews were conducted almost entirely in gitaigo, and no one knew what the hell he was talking about.

there's a good searchable database here: http://www.nihongoresources.com/dictionaries/onomatopoeia.html
course, like any slang term, they vary both by region and with fashion. you can make your own up too, i'm told.

i've read one neuropsychologist who maintains that these sorts of words are the origin of language itself. consider: "sticky" does sounds kind of.. sticky. "round" sounds round, and so on. he posited it as a form of primordial synaesthesia.

Last edited:

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Sailor Moon S Illustrated Recap Episodes #90-98

Incredibly awesome as always.

More specifically - your body language continues to improve. You were always good at getting a lot of emotion and sense of movement out of simple forms, but you are really getting better at giving a real sense of shifting weight. I can look at your drawings and 1) know which foot, and to what degree, they are putting their weight on and 2) because of #1, feel like I am looking at a snapshot of a person in movement instead of a person being posed.

Seriously, how do you get the body language right? There are so many subtleties in how a person does everything, and you even manage to get the way people twist when they are looking at each other. Are you using models or sketching from your head?

Last edited:

Rogue 7

Dollars Member
Validated User

*clap clap clap*

Maan, I've got a paper! Damn distractions!

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Seriously, how do you get the body language right? There are so many subtleties in how a person does everything, and you even manage to get the way people twist when they are looking at each other. Are you using models or sketching from your head?
Yay! My attention to body language is working!

I've never been able to find a model that really works for me—those wooden art models don't seem to handle extreme poses well—so I sketch from my head. I often do that thing where I stand up and move around to get the feeling of it. Actually, it's only been in the past couple of years that I've been able to grok building a character up piece by piece, or trying to catch the flow of muscle; back when I tried attending art classes, no instructor I had ever really taught it, even when I asked specifically for help with anatomy and structure.

I've crossed a certain line where it's actually easier to draw a character if I imagine them posed in space, rather than just an isolated head.

Next thing to practice: Action sequences! People jumping and fighting is hard to draw. Though harder yet is physical intimacy: a good hug or kiss is really hard.

Stormfalcon

Just slumming
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Hey Shadowjack, you're still planning on coming on over to FanimeCon later this month, right? A nice little tidbit came down a while ago...while we may not be getting Sailor Moon's VA like SakuraCon did, we are getting Tux-boy's :D

Jorlem

Validated User

I have to ask, has Ami ever been to Niagara Falls?

Top Bottom