• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Inconsequential slice-of-life headcanons, pt2! (Credit to That Other Guy and Lonewolf23)

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So Starlight Express is hip, right? Cybertronian-looking singers on rollerskates doin' races and romance and stuff.

I just have an issue with some of the lines towards the end (so, spoilers for a kid's musical from the 80s? They've changed a lot over the years, like the gender of some major characters; this is just from the original soundtrack).

The big race is over. It was supposed to be between diesel Greaseball, electric Electro, and steam-powered prior champion Poppa; but Poppa dropped out in favour of younger steam engine Rusty, who had previously lost the heats after Greaseball and Electro teamed up to sabotage him. Rusty, having found the power of the Starlight Express within him, has become the new champion. Electro, humiliated, has stormed off. Greaseball has fared worse; he's had an accident, and doesn't know if he'll ever race again. Comeuppance for cheaters.

Poppa makes Greaseball an offer of redemption: he can convert the diesel engine to steam. There ensues a musical debate about whether electricity might be a good alternative, but Poppa shuts down every point they bring up, in favour of steam power. At one point, they even bring up nuclear fission, but Poppa immediately rhymes it with "nasty emissions".

This seems backwards at first glance. Why would steam - a form of locomotion associated with burning large amounts of coal - be considered more emissions-friendly than nuclear - a form of power with NO emissions?

Answer, and this is my headcanon warming up:

Starlight Express steam engines aren't coal burners. They're fusion plants on rails.

This accounts for their animosity towards fission. It's a step backwards for them, and by comparison is a dirtier process. It also accounts for how steam trains are winning races against diesel and electric vehicles. Diesel has a comfortable margin over steam in the real world, and electric can go nearly three times as fast on the rails; a lightweight fusion reactor running an electric turbine off steam could rival or exceed these electric marvels.

But most important, fusion power is star power. Rusty had the power of the Starlight Express within him all along - literal starlight.

Go for it, Greaseball.

PS: There is a line from Dustin, the heavy aggregate hopper, which indicates that steamers still emit smoke. After Rusty chooses him as his partner for the finals, Dustin claims that his eyes are watering, but only because the smoke gets in his eyes. I submit that there is no smoke, and Dustin is just overwhelmed to be selected for a speed event.

BcAugust54

Validated User
So, a rather odd and I'm not quite sure I like it one...

In the Obsidian and Blood series, the main character routinely does feats of magic involving Death that amaze the other priests, has a far more personal relationship with his gods then the other high priests have with theirs, is routinely compared to a skeleton and pushes himself way too hard past human limits, and in the first and second books, has one of the major servants of his god know him by name and aids him casually. Also, this servant is noted in text as formerly being a human being who devoted himself and became something other.

So, yes, everything is pointing that after he dies(and/or before he was born, which is more interesting, considering), he's not facing oblivion like he expects, but in fact is going to become one of those servants that gets called on for justice.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
So, a rather odd and I'm not quite sure I like it one...

In the Obsidian and Blood series, the main character routinely does feats of magic involving Death that amaze the other priests, has a far more personal relationship with his gods then the other high priests have with theirs, is routinely compared to a skeleton and pushes himself way too hard past human limits, and in the first and second books, has one of the major servants of his god know him by name and aids him casually. Also, this servant is noted in text as formerly being a human being who devoted himself and became something other.

So, yes, everything is pointing that after he dies(and/or before he was born, which is more interesting, considering), he's not facing oblivion like he expects, but in fact is going to become one of those servants that gets called on for justice.
So he was a Long and is becoming a Name? :p
/Cultist Simulator

Top Bottom