• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Increasing the CR of a 5E monster

Extrakun

Tinker of Games
Validated User
I would like to use the stat block of a young green dragon however as the party has already exceeded its CR, I would like to up it’s CR by 1 to compensate. In what ways should I tweak it’s stats?

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
The 5e CR are more non-binding suggestions, and the calculation formula in the DMG doesn't match up with the CRs from the MM on many occasions.

That said, if you want to up the challenge, I recommend to either increase the damage output or increase HPs. Increasing AC can be tricky, because it doesn't scale as smoothly, and even a single extra point or two can make quite the difference. The same goes for handing out extra attacks.

Since we are talking about a dragon, you could also take a different dragon that has a CR that's higher by one point, and colour-swap it.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
The advice in the DMG is inaccurate, but the math does stay consistent across books. Blog of Holding did one of those ‘MM on a business card’ things for it.

Extrakun

Tinker of Games
Validated User
The advice in the DMG is inaccurate, but the math does stay consistent across books. Blog of Holding did one of those ‘MM on a business card’ things for it.

From the buffet of choices, is it pick one to increase by one CR, or apply all?

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
HP and damage output make more difference than anything else, or so more mechanical minds than mine have said. I like to give monsters an extra ability or two, to spice things up and keep the PCs on their toes.

MacBalance

Validated User
I'd suggest considering how to make the fight more interesting than just bigger numbers. Try to set it up so they're fighting on the dragon's turf so it gets those Lair Effects and such.

Or give it an army of minions. Minions are a great way to go as they also break up action economy.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
Even before I really got the hang of CR, I stopped paying attention to it. Between some experience paying attention to CRs and getting to know the capabilities of my players, I just found CRs to not be very useful.

So, once you get a basic sense of the scale of things, don't bother with CRs, except maybe occasionally to sort of check in and make sure the PCs are up against the kinds of challenges you want.

Matrix Sorcica

Embodied Movie Quote
Validated User
Give it a few legendary actions where it can countet attack and you're good to go, plus it makes the dragon more interesting.

Top Bottom