• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Innocuous seeming devices that can be dangerous in the wrong hands

GreenOzzy

What a Revoltin' Development
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are a lot of devices in sci-fi, and fantasy that seem fairly safe at first glance, but, with a bit of creativity some of them could be turned into pretty destructive weapons. Maybe the device itself could be used in a new way or the same principle could be altered slightly to turn it into a weapon.

For example, an ever-full canteen. Drink as much as you want, it will always be full. Seems pretty safe at first. But, turn it upside down on the top floor of a sky scraper and it could wreck the whole building. Either by flooding it or by introducing so much more mass that the building collapses. But that would take awhile. How about we just use the same method to make an ever-full bucket or an ever-full 55 gallon drum. Now it can do the same even faster. Or, maybe you just tweak it a bit and now its an ever-full canteen...of hydrochloric acid.

I have a campaign idea where the players are trying to hunt down devices like this. All of the majorly dangerous things were already swept up. Death rays, wands of lightning, teleporters, etc. Now they are having to track down the items that were initially missed because they didn't seem dangerous, except now the people that want to do bad stuff have started getting creative.

What are some other devices that could weaponized?

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
How about a coffee cup that heats the contents to a desired temperature. No real top end on that basic instruction, so filling it with say, tungsten could be interesting.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Well you've already got the everfull flask, which is the classic. But lets see what else...

A Superball, or set of them, that always bounce a little more energetically than they started. So drop it and it bounces about a foot higher or so. Now imagine if, say, a baseball pitcher threw it into a confined space...

Stolen from Diskworld:
An indestructible one inch metal cube. It spins in place, making one revolution per minute. With INFINITE torque. The rotation cannot be stopped, ever. You can power the industry of an entire city with one of these things, if you can just get enough mechanical advantage and something you can connect it too that can take the stress.

A toy broomstick that can float (a little) and has enough thrust to go a few miles per hour. In the hands of an astronaut, the thing is a stupidly powerful reactionless drive.

Glasses that let you speak and understand every language in the world. Including computer code. Including encrypted computer code. Forget quantum cryptography. There are people who would do basically ANYTHING to get their hands on these things.

Aysez

Quietly Mad
Validated User
Assuming a Bag of Holding could be smuggled into a high security area, or simply dropped in a Prison's "Yard" you could do some major damage. Well, depending what's in it. Hell, you could smuggle virtually ANYTHING with it.

Throwing a portable hole into it is a waste of good resources, but could just plain wreck a ginormous area.

GreenOzzy

What a Revoltin' Development
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Assuming a Bag of Holding could be smuggled into a high security area, or simply dropped in a Prison's "Yard" you could do some major damage. Well, depending what's in it. Hell, you could smuggle virtually ANYTHING with it.
That's a good one. Any sort of extra dimensional space could be used to do a lot of damage. I wonder if the items in an extra dimensional space would show up on x-ray scanners or things like that? My first instinct would be to say that they wouldn't since they are Somewhere Else.

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Doesn't a portable hole inside a bag of holding cause some explosive dimensional rift or something as well?

Dagor

Validated User
Doesn't a portable hole inside a bag of holding cause some explosive dimensional rift or something as well?
That's pretty strictly the (A)D&D interpretation (I think, anyway -- I think the effects were at least at some point different depending on which of the two you put into the other and can't for the life of me recall which was which). How such an interaction would actually work out in "real life", if indeed there was any noticeable unusual effect at all, is kind of up in the air since right at the moment we don't have the means to experimentally verify any hypotheses anyway. So you could indeed get your explosion...or no noticeable unusual effect at all...or your left sock spontaneously turning yellow because it's Thursday when you try it.

Agemegos

All out of spoons
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A spaceship. Pretty much any spaceship.

A nitrate fertiliser.

Any means of travelling faster than light in a universe where the Principle of Simultaneity holds and the laws of nature are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

Any reactionless drive.

Antigravity.

Any sort of teleportation that doesn't require a device at both ends.

Aysez

Quietly Mad
Validated User
That's a good one. Any sort of extra dimensional space could be used to do a lot of damage. I wonder if the items in an extra dimensional space would show up on x-ray scanners or things like that? My first instinct would be to say that they wouldn't since they are Somewhere Else.
That would be my assumption. It's either going to appear empty, or really, really weird. With an outside case of it wrecking the machine.

EXACTLY Mwahahahahaha!

Top Bottom