• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest] Anti-ISIS Special Forces Campaign

Victorian

Validated User
I’ve thought for a while about a campaign where players are SAS/Green Berets and conduct small commando ops in Syria/Iraq at the height of the war against ISIS. Is anyone here interested? Rather fast-paced with turn-based battles. Each turn would represent roughly a minute of real-time.

I’m a long-time GM but quite new to forum games so I have some issues with this setting. Perhaps you can help me.

The issues are:
1. Do you think that military ops can make for a good play-by-post game? Wouldn’t it be too slow for you?
2. Would one-minute increments be alright with you? Spec ops missions are quick but that seems like the shortest logical increment.
3. The campaign will depend heavily on the officer in charge. Would you be willing to follow another player as your superior?

OMG

Meat Popsicle
Validated User
I’ve thought for a while about a campaign where players are SAS/Green Berets and conduct small commando ops in Syria/Iraq at the height of the war against ISIS. Is anyone here interested? Rather fast-paced with turn-based battles. Each turn would represent roughly a minute of real-time.

I’m a long-time GM but quite new to forum games so I have some issues with this setting. Perhaps you can help me.

The issues are:
1. Do you think that military ops can make for a good play-by-post game? Wouldn’t it be too slow for you?
2. Would one-minute increments be alright with you? Spec ops missions are quick but that seems like the shortest logical increment.
3. The campaign will depend heavily on the officer in charge. Would you be willing to follow another player as your superior?
For the system I’m thinking of GURPS 4E.
Couple of thoughts here since you are asking for input.

I don't think military operations is a bad medium. Most RPGs have combat elements to them, some are extensively detailed in combat. GURPS has a good combat system, lot of special rules yes, but it's flexible and fun. Compared to systems like Shadowrun or Dark Heresy or anything with super heroes GURPS is pretty solid.

(Shadowrun, for example, has a stupidly over complicated combat system involving multiple dice pools, karma, success/failures, open-ended dice rolls, damage levels and thresholds, etc)

That being said, games set in modern day settings don't seem to get much traction here unless it's a super hero or magical girls type game. Not sure why, but you don't see many games that get posted for modern stuff outside of those niches getting filled. Even awesome settings like World of Darkness stuff I see doesn't get a lot of traction here. Doesn't mean it's not workable, just be warned you might have trouble finding enough players.

Regarding time, that's a strange question to be honest. Most RPGs have built-in mechanics for time. Usually turns or rounds or whatever. I'm not sure why you are asking this when the system itself handles it.

Your third question is usually a non-issue. Most groups need a leader. Often that mantle falls to a player, other times the GM just makes up a NPC who leads. Really depends on the dynamics of the players and their characters. As a GM I generally prefer if a player takes up the role of group leader, less from me to have to worry about and it can lead to interesting RP moments if not all characters are on board with the person trying to lead ;)

Lastly, GURPS is a fantastic system. Good choice. There are many GURPS fans here, but as I mentioned above the specific setting you have chosen might be a challenge.

Typed this on my mobile. Sorry for bad grammar and spelling.

chitzk0i

Miniature Creampuff
Validated User
I’m interested. I love military games and I’m a big gun and vehicle nerd.

A while back, I was in a TL9 GURPS special ops game that was aiming for complete and total realism. I can give you some more detailed thoughts on that experience. I played the equivalent of a lieutenant, but in that game I didn’t get to pick our missions and each mission was so different I really didn’t get to customize our gear at all.

ETA: I’m curious how you would implement a 1 minute turn in person-to-person combat. I’ve heard of GURPS using longer turns in spaceship combat, but I’m not familiar with those rules.

Last edited:

Regular Guy

"Lemme make a call."
Validated User
Just to throw another hat in the ring, Delta Green has a pretty well laid out (and fairly) basic system for combat. Easily customizable and they even have a scenario along the lines of what you are proposing.

Top Bottom