• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative [Interest] Converting Tianxia to an Arabians Nights setting (with an eye to playing it online here)

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
squidheadjax squidheadjax so have you given any thought as to where we’re from? Well, by we I mean you specifically. I’m a genie. I was thinking that the wizard you liberated (stole) me from hailed from North Africa, somewhere in Morocco maybe.

On that note any suggestions as where in the Arabian world we wanna set this game? Any specific Middle Eastern country or possibly somewhere in Central Asia along the Silk Road?
North Africa works for origin, though I admit I don't know much at all about the differences of regional flavor there. She's probably well acquainted with the Sahara (as a city girl, it'd be in the sense of 'no, seriously, don't go south'). She might have ancestry from across the Pillars of Hercules, maybe even from the line of one of the companions of Abd ar-Rahman who conquered Al-Andalus back from the Abbasid usurpers. That and generally being from nobility might explain some of her high opinion of herself and the chip on her shoulder...

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
The third option, of course, is to take 'Ruritania' approach and set it in a new kingdom tucked into the real world, much as in The Princess Bride.

Perhaps a city state somewhere around the Levant, or possibly modern Jordan? So you get the trade routes coming in from the Med, the Red Sea, the Caucasus and the Silk Road. You're not too far from the desert, but you've got the highland cedar forests and the coast as well, plus the olive groves and what have you.

Some small Emirate or Sultanate, in one of those periods where the Byzantines have retreated but there's not a single strong Caliphate either- lots of potential for upheaval and PCs making their mark.

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Slytherin
Validated User
North Africa works for origin, though I admit I don't know much at all about the differences of regional flavor there. She's probably well acquainted with the Sahara (as a city girl, it'd be in the sense of 'no, seriously, don't go south'). She might have ancestry from across the Pillars of Hercules, maybe even from the line of one of the companions of Abd ar-Rahman who conquered Al-Andalus back from the Abbasid usurpers. That and generally being from nobility might explain some of her high opinion of herself and the chip on her shoulder...
Well my thinking was that as the former apprentice of the exceptionally powerful Sorcerer you stole me from, one of your first, if not your very first command, would have been to get us as far from him as possible, which is how we ended up wherever it is we ended. Cuz you got to imagine that guy’s still looking for us. And by us, I of course mean you. I’m a totally innocent bystander here...

Glyptodont

此时此地
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well my thinking was that as the former apprentice of the exceptionally powerful Sorcerer you stole me from, one of your first, if not your very first command, would have been to get us as far from him as possible, which is how we ended up wherever it is we ended. Cuz you got to imagine that guy’s still looking for us. And by us, I of course mean you. I’m a totally innocent bystander here...
I smell an Aspect here.....

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Slytherin
Validated User
I smell an Aspect here.....
Well sure but you know if you think about it, really, I’m the victim here. I mean there I was, lounging round my bottle in my PJs. Chilling with my hookah. Minding my own business. Not bothering anybody. When all of sudden this chick just up and swipes my bottle off the shelf. I mean, is that my fault? I swear officer, I do not know this kid!! But yet, here I am, all thanks to the wisdom of fucking Solomon, bound to serve and obey the reckless little thief in whatever crazy shenanigans she decides to get up into and help ensure she doesn't get herself killed in the process. Ya Allah!! The Prophet (Peace be upon Him) must truly hate me.

Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey, because of me you get to, like, show up people for their hubris and stuff!

Top Bottom