[Interest] Doom Patrol with Over the Edge

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
System: Over the Edge 3rd Edition, with some slight changes. Mostly jetisoning some superfluous stuff. One main trait and two side traits. If you don’t have access to the new edition, that’s fine. The mechanics take maybe two paragraphs to explain.

Game: Doom Patrol is one of my favorite super teams because of the weird stuff they get up to and the damaged nature of the characters. I’m loving the TV series. I want to try to get something going here that replicates the feel of Doom Patrol. The weird, the gonzo, the damaged, the low-power levels.

Characters: Original characters only. Doom Patrol is about not just flawed, but damaged characters. Normal people who through absurd accidents and circumstances become freaks. They’re not heroes. They don’t wear capes. They take on the jobs that are too weird, too goofy, and too absurd for anyone else. They help because they can and no one else will. What they lack in training they make up in heart.

I want one-trick ponies. Characters with one cool thing they can do. That’s it. A low-powered, tightly thematic archetype is fine, like a brick. But no flying bricks. That’s too many powers. Using your one power intelligently is great. But things like cosmic power and magic are right out. As are the standard list of plot destroying powers (precog, post-cog, telepathy, etc). Low-level. Damaged. Tragic backstory. Horrific accident. One-trick ponies. Weird is good. Playable is required.

Tone: I’m an old-school superhero fan, so no killers. There will be plenty of robots and Nazis to wade through and kill without remorse, but if you start murdering every baddie you meet, you’re doing supers wrong for this game. Protecting innocents is the name of the game. Talking gorillas. Time-traveling talking Nazi dinosaurs. Sentient garbage. Gonzo. Super-science. Brains in Jars.

Setting: An amalgam of DC, Marvel, and M&M. I’ll pull anything from any of those universes straight or mix-and-match based on what I think would be fun. The PCs will always be the main characters. But they’re not the Justice League or the Avengers.

Would there be any interest in Doom Patrol with Over the Edge?

Last edited:

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
OK, I got a name: Frogbox. He could be a frog-themed superhero, or a box-themed superhero, but he's probably a gestalt consciousness running on a biocomputer composed of frogs*, who live inside a roughly humanoid robotic habitat. If you want him to be more human in psychology, he could be a human consciousness instantiated on a frog-powered biocomputer or, more interestingly, a frog-powered biocomputer who was raised by his brilliant creator as the child she never had.

*Plus a few axolotls for graphic processing, but "Axolotlbox" does not trip off the tongue.

blackthought

Validated User
This sounds really fun. The premise rocks.

DannyK--that is awesome.

Here's a pitch: Agent Orchid is the first talking monkey in the game. He's a purple howler monkey, and he's born of tragedy. In the life before he was transformed, his name was Joe, and he fronted the psychedelic garage punk band Agent Orchid. Joe had a purple mohawk. Agent Orchid's final show ended in the middle of their best song with the collapse of local reality for an unexplained reason. Everything around Joe had just disappeared in a one mile radius. Where there was once a town in the middle of the country, now there was nothing but dirt. Joe had also turned into a talking purple howler monkey with low-level sonic powers that influence emotion. After this experience, Joe quit calling himself Joe and started calling himself Agent Orchid.

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
OK, I got a name: Frogbox. He could be a frog-themed superhero, or a box-themed superhero, but he's probably a gestalt consciousness running on a biocomputer composed of frogs*, who live inside a roughly humanoid robotic habitat. If you want him to be more human in psychology, he could be a human consciousness instantiated on a frog-powered biocomputer or, more interestingly, a frog-powered biocomputer who was raised by his brilliant creator as the child she never had.

*Plus a few axolotls for graphic processing, but "Axolotlbox" does not trip off the tongue.
I like the idea. But yeah, a bit more human. Enough to interact with fairly easily at least. Maybe to push the broken/damaged the scientist who made this thing is killed and his consciousness brings it to life?

But what would it do? What’s the superpower?

This sounds really fun. The premise rocks.

DannyK--that is awesome.

Here's a pitch: Agent Orchid is the first talking monkey in the game. He's a purple howler monkey, and he's born of tragedy. In the life before he was transformed, his name was Joe, and he fronted the psychedelic garage punk band Agent Orchid. Joe had a purple mohawk. Agent Orchid's final show ended in the middle of their best song with the collapse of local reality for an unexplained reason. Everything around Joe had just disappeared in a one mile radius. Where there was once a town in the middle of the country, now there was nothing but dirt. Joe had also turned into a talking purple howler monkey with low-level sonic powers that influence emotion. After this experience, Joe quit calling himself Joe and started calling himself Agent Orchid.
Nice. I like the premise. Definitely weird and damaged. Not sure about the side of sonic powers on top of being a monkey with the brains of a man. Let me think on that.

blackthought

Validated User
I like the idea. But yeah, a bit more human. Enough to interact with fairly easily at least. Maybe to push the broken/damaged the scientist who made this thing is killed and his consciousness brings it to life?

But what would it do? What’s the superpower?

Nice. I like the premise. Definitely weird and damaged. Not sure about the side of sonic powers on top of being a monkey with the brains of a man. Let me think on that.
Sure thing. I just like the idea of a purple howler monkey having sound powers.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
OK, here's a second take:

Damselfly.
Her discoverer, entomologist Sarah Hoffman, claims to have discovered the colony in the uncharted Amazon, but no other examples of such an extraordinary species have ever been found, and it is speculated that it actually comes from a parallel reality or from the distant future.
Calopteryx Puella-factorem is the only social species of damselfly, and builds a new hive for itself every month from scratch. Even more remarkably, the nest is in the shape of a human female, and is animated by the insect colony within it. The fact that this human form is the spitting image of Dr. Hoffman's daughter, who died at 16 of a rare blood disease, has never been satisfactorily explained.
The walking, talking damselfly colony was the talk of the scientific world when Dr. Hoffman gave her first press conference, but that was years ago, and every month since then, she sheds her old form and creates a new one that looks exactly like 16 year old Annie Hoffman. She takes a different name from the baby book every month; she's up to Haley Hoffman.
Abilities: Damselfly has amazing physical control over her physical form, like a gymnast or parkour artist. She can send out her flies to scout the environment, they are excellent fliers with sensitive senses. And as long as enough of the flies survive, she can always rebuild her body even if it's been shot, burned, crushed by gorillas, etc.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
I desperately want in on this. Will think more as I need to go to bed now, but leaning towards The Queen of Eyes, a former Instagram star who tapped into a method to see herself for real—like others see her. Except that now she can only see through other people, the psychic signals from them overwhelm her own vision. Including her mind's eye—she can only visually imagine what those in her psychic range are.

KnockingBox

Validated User
Skimming some Doom Patrol history for inspiration and it turns out that 2 of my ideas so far are basically just the characters Lodestone and Karma. Back to the drawing board!

These are the scraps I've got right now:
  • person transplanted into a mannequin/doll/puppet kinda body that can be taken apart and act independently
  • folding papercraft supertools and minions that can do stuff for 'em
  • hit by a car, now can invincibly stand their ground or prevent stuff from hitting themself
  • a person who's actually several superimposed people with a fraught relationship
  • massive, luxurious, prehensile hairstyle like Medusa of the Inhumans
  • drained of color and sound, they're a black-and-white mime with the happy-go-lucky durability of Chaplin's Tramp or even a cartoon character
  • former conscripted prisoner firefighter (a la Scott Lang Ant-Man's prison background) who can "snuff out" energy/explosions
  • would be fun to play a tough punchy brick like Robotman or the Thing who quips and grumbles a lot
  • wonder how to engage with this genre's association of "freak" characters with disability, distinguishing superpowers and body modifications from real lives

Top Bottom