[Interest] Doom Patrol with Over the Edge

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
Gotcha; she is actually covered in what seem to be tattoos of eyes but they drift on her body and tend to change position / expression when not observed directly.
Gotcha. Sounds good. What about the accident that gave her the powers?

Nice. I played D&D yesterday with my buddy and both our sets of kids. My daughter keeps missing her actions because she insists that she’s a narcoleptic elf. The other kids are not happy.

I could actually use that rules summary you talked about. I think I read the first or second edition years ago, and I remember being incredibly light (which seems good for this kind of forum). But in th meantime, we just come up with three descriptors (major and two minor), right?
Rules. Roll 2d6. If you’re the active party, succeed on 7+; if you’re the reactive party, succeed on 8+. Any 3s or 4s represent bad and good twists, respectively. This edition uses advantage and disadvantage. Roll an extra die and take the best (adv) or worst (disadv) result. Failed rolls, bad twists, and the narrative can lead to damage, which is handled narratively with a three strikes and you’re out system. Emphasis is placed on goal/conflict resolution with dice rather than task resolution, so framing scenes and being clear on goals and the tasks you’re performing to accomplish your goal is important.

There’s a bit more to characters now. Main traits, side traits, question, trouble, and tells. Main and side traits are the same as ever. Tells are just physical manifestations of your traits, trouble, and question. Trouble is a negative trait that helps the character make more interesting choices, like kleptomaniac or hates doctors. Question is a trait you’re waffling on that provides roleplaying opportunities, like honest-? would mean you are generally an honest person but you want that to be a point of tension for your character.

As for the sonic monkey, I care more about the sonic part than the monkey part. I really just pictured weird canted purple drenched panels with Agent Orchid perched on some weird angle with those sonic circles coming out of his head. Maybe I could keep some monkey ability to get to funny places and the sonic powers? I’m not looking to beat on someone with monkey fists while screaming sweet nothings in their ear.
If it’s the appearance of a monkey but not abilities then I’m fine with sonic powers. Guy in a suit with purple fur around his face and a tail plus a sonic scream, sure. Guy who can flip and jump and climb like a monkey plus a sonic scream, not so much. It may seem like a silly line in the sand, but it’s part of the basic premise I’m going for. Low-level one-trick-ponies.

Last edited:

blackthought

Validated User
Really helpful, thanks. I'll think about the powers, probably ditch the monkey part, and maybe go for purple skin with a big winding orchid design traveling around his body and ending on his face.

How do you want to handle the powers? Described in one of the traits?

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
I'm currently feeling she agreed to sign up for a "study" that would help her understand and better handle people's perception of her or the like. So she's got plenty of blaming herself going on, plus there's hook potential for someone out there running around with a psychic activation machine doing GM-knows-what.

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
Really helpful, thanks. I'll think about the powers, probably ditch the monkey part, and maybe go for purple skin with a big winding orchid design traveling around his body and ending on his face.

How do you want to handle the powers? Described in one of the traits?
They should be explicit in a trait. Considering it’s a weird supers game, it should probably be part of the main trait.

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
Just checking in to see if this is still on, whether to work on a character, etc.
The concept is mutating in my mind. I need to put a pin in it for the immediate future.

Five expressed interest. Three offered up concepts. Good turn out, I’d say.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Anything we should know before putting writing up the character?

Also do you think the psychic powers of Queen of Eyes require a main trait or could it work as a side trait with the instagram star as the primary one? I'm dithering between which I'd prefer to be where conceptually, though am leaning towards former instagram star as a side trait.

KnockingBox

Validated User
I'm still here, I've just been more stumped than I expected trying to decide on a solid power/character that sounds fun to play. I definitely grasp the premise, but I'm writer's blocked!

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
Anything we should know before putting writing up the character?

Also do you think the psychic powers of Queen of Eyes require a main trait or could it work as a side trait with the instagram star as the primary one? I'm dithering between which I'd prefer to be where conceptually, though am leaning towards former instagram star as a side trait.
Either way could work.

But I’m thinking I need a bit of time before going further. The game is mutating in my mind and I want to it set before we go further. Sorry.

To be clear: this is me putting a pause to the game. Apologies.

Top Bottom