• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest] Orbis Aerden: Reign of the Accursed

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey all, looking for anyone and everyone possibly interested in this lovely Victorian Gothic demigod vampire game brimming with eldritch horror and scheming power struggles. It's quite crunchy mechanics wise, but might be able to be run PbP with some effort. If anyone's up to the task, I'll be first on board!

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
I am intrigued! I'm away the back half of this week, so it will take me a little while to digest the book. But digest it I shall.

Last edited:

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
I have digested enough of the book to get started! Medium-high crunch with some detail in areas that don't usually get it (e.g. planning). Should be workable enough in PbP. The setting sort of has me hankering for actual Victorian vampires though, but that's just personal preference on my part.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have a problem dealing with excessive amounts of crunch honestly. Been tempted to convert this over to something much simpler like PBTA, but as a result one loses the depth of customization and potential Diadem movesets.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Working through character creation, I would like to revise my medium-high crunch assessment. There's less crunch than I thought! But there is...ungainly crunch in strange spots, and the book's layout makes those rules less accessible than they probably need to be.

(book needed a less kind editor, yo!)

But at its heart, it's just add stat+skill together and roll 2d10* with a bit of detail in social manoeuvring, a bit in wider politics (really needs to be in one place in the book!) and a bit with long-term plotting (folds into / is the XP system).

*Well, roll up to 4d10 if you've got advantage/disadvantage and taking the two highest (or lowest).

Combat is...a lot simpler than you'd expect from a book this chunky. But what's there is a bit pudgy (different armour values for damage types...?). And the only other thing is a small amount of exception based rules-design: mostly blood powers! (all fed from a single resource pool).

So! Medium crunch, poor accessibility. Shouldn't be awful to overcome. At first blush, could possibly trim some of the fat without losing anything but before trying it I'm wary of doing that.

Last edited:

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Working through character creation, I would like to revise my medium-high crunch assessment. There's less crunch than I thought! But there is...ungainly crunch in strange spots, and the book's layout makes those rules less accessible than they probably need to be.

(book needed a less kind editor, yo!)

But at its heart, it's just add stat+skill together and roll 2d10* with a bit of detail in social manoeuvring, a bit in wider politics (really needs to be in one place in the book!) and a bit with long-term plotting (folds into / is the XP system).

*Well, roll up to 4d10 if you've got advantage/disadvantage and taking the two highest (or lowest).

Combat is...a lot simpler than you'd expect from a book this chunky. But what's there is a bit pudgy (different armour values for damage types...?). And the only other thing is a small amount of exception based rules-design: mostly blood powers! (all fed from a single resource pool).

So! Medium crunch, poor accessibility. Shouldn't be awful to overcome. At first blush, could possibly trim some of the fat without losing anything but before trying it I'm wary of doing that.
It isn't terribly complex, just seems a bit ungainly. However, I backed this game at the highest level (Primordial) and I'd like to get to play it at least once. o_O

Top Bottom