• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[interest/planning] CAH3: Cartoon noir with a touch of dark urban fantasy or magical realism

NikoCarcosa

Validated User
Oh, definitely. Aesthetic is sort of along the lines of the Wesley Dodds "The Sandman". Instead of The Shadow's twin Brownings, sort of hybrid dartguns/grenade launchers with a variety of gas grenades and toxins. The Shadow's ability to "cloud men's minds" by way of chemistry.

Introducing Lars Sombra, aka Blackout! (Very rough draft)

Got him built quick. Here's the official form-filllable character sheet.

Last edited:

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mister Sombra sounds good, NikoCarcosa NikoCarcosa !

I'll post a proper recruitment thread when I'm actually ready to run, Cmdr_Bonehead Cmdr_Bonehead , but anyone who chimes in here will be given preferential treatment. :)

There seems to be enough interest that I should get to work on this thing. It's all kinda embryonic at this point, honestly, but I'll put up a wiki once I get my mental notes in some kind of intelligible order. Item one: series name...

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Realizing how thinly I'm spread, I think I'd better bow out of this one.

Max

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey, if you manage to pull back together in a month or three, you might well make it in. I work slow...

Brontes

Validated User
I do want to get back into playing something, and I have CAH3, but the only character concept that I have may not be as liminal as required.

In the original concept, Vincent Royce was two-bit, albeit highly competent, muscle when heiress Regina Proulx entered his life. Now he manages her holdings in this city in her stead. He's got it made and enjoys the perks, but whether he loves her or only her money is always ambiguous. Either way he is adamant that nothing on his end gets in the way of her life.

Because the twist in the original concept is that Regina Proulx is the adventuring main character of a separate even pulpier series, so threats on her life don't scare him much (She's honestly the deadlier of the 2) and he's not easily goaded by insulting the relative power imbalance. He is threatened by anything that would attract her attention, interfere with her livelihood, or diminish her perception of their partnership.

So I think in this context, Regina Proulx would be the main character of a sister TV show while Royce is the focus character in this one. In this show, To maintain the feel in this series, his wife's adventures would mostly exist in visual Easter eggs of trophies and the like or highly deniable asides. She might show up, but she's rarely the focus of the plot beyond Royce's unwillingness to concern her.

The workings of the Proulx holdings, newly inherited after her father's passing, are as much a source of plot and concern as they are an asset as it's full workings and history is arcane to the both of them (and Royce is a relative outsider).

Elfwine

Validated User
I think I'll put myself down as interested, if we're still counting heads. I want to use the noir inspired private eye character idea I had, and this is a place for jaded private eyes.

Max

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Never count your heads before they're severed. This is still very much in the planning phase...

Speaking of which, a question: would it be too silly to set a somewhat surreal dark urban crime drama in the great state of Washeegan in what is not but for most intents and purposes might as well be the USA?

B Brontes , I think the main sticking point with Vincent would be that the concept seems inherently risk averse. Do you as a player mind repeatedly plunging him in deep dark messy trouble, for fun and profit and basic decency, and regularly jeopardizing the whole sweet deal he has set up (albeit with correspondingly copious amounts of in-character kvetching, of course)? If that's not a problem then he'd probably work fine. I can think of fun things to do using Regina as an ominous distant presence, like Keyser Söze or Lina Inverse's sister. :D

Top Bottom