• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest/Possible Recruitment]Survive This! Vigilante City

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
EDIT 7/24: For anyone who just came across this thread: I have 3 players presently and would welcome more.

tl;dr: Vigilante City is a street-level supers game using an OSR rules set. The elevator pitch for the set-up: The PCs are all new trainees of an experienced vigilante who was suddenly murdered. The disciples decide to band together to carry on the legacy, even though they are still woefully under-trained.

Just post here if you are interested and we'll get you up to speed.

I'm looking to run one scenario with an open option to maybe continue afterwards.

I wanted to give this game a try. At the moment, this is only an "interest" thread. I know that the ratio of players to GMs around here is easily dozens to one, so it's usually pretty easy to find players. However, I'm looking for players with a genuine interest in trying this out rather than "yeah, I only have 3 other games right now and this looks OK." My experience with such players is that they are not valued added, despite their honest intentions to be such.

Survive This! Vigilante City is an OSR superhero game played at street level with a feel between Batman: TAS and an Iron Age setting. Lethality is fairly high and characters do not start off very strong. Chargen is largely random, but with plenty of choices also. I will only be using human classes for PCs; no Megahumans at all.

I'd be looking for players who are familiar with OSR gaming tropes in general, with a love of street level superheroics, and who are willing to get the actual rules so I don't have to explain the tactical options that are unique to the game. You wouldn't need them for chargen, but you would need them for actual gameplay.

I'd likely be using a pre-fab scenario. My commitment right now is for one scenario, with an evaluation about continuing after that. I'm looking for at least a daily post during the summer, with lighter weekends and an occasional vacation.

I give preference to players with whom I've had a successful pbp experience so far. Any of my former M&M players from the New Guard are automatically welcome. Probably looking for a player count of 4, and without duplicate character classes (which is easy to do, with 15 in the core rules).

My setting idea is a vision of Victory City (the default setting) imagined as something closer to Batman Beyond's Gotham than Batman: TAS' Gotham. The PCs are all new trainees of an experienced vigilante who was suddenly murdered. The disciples decide to band together to carry on the legacy, even though they are still woefully under-trained.

Post here if you are a supers fan who is intrigued by this idea. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
Not 100% sure if I'll have the time, but I'm certainly interested... Can I be a tentative at this point, and step forward (or not) once you have a better idea of players interested?

I'm a big fan of superheroes, never played OSR before, but I think I've played enough DnD to have a reasonable idea of how the OSR stuff works.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
Here's a character sheet. There's not much for "rules summary": It's White Box D&D with a few 5e additions. There is a preview on DTRPG, but it gives you more of the feel of the game rather than a rules preview.

I have a GM screen, but I don't think I can post that here.

If anyone has specific questions, I'll happily answer them. The rules are presently on sale at DTRPG also.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
I'll give this one more bump; usually you either have players or you don't after the 1st 24 hours. I have one interest and two maybes. I wouldn't try it without four. If it's an idea few are interested in, so be it.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
OK...

For anyone coming to this thread, Interest/Recruitment is still open until I say it's not.

M Mister Gridlock Hyena_Creative Hyena_Creative fireinthedust fireinthedust Willis the 3rd Willis the 3rd
I'm willing to give this a shot if you are. Please let me know if you would like to be in or not.
I'm still looking for 4. If I only have 3, I'll think about running it. If I only have 1 or 2, I'm going to postpone the idea for now.
This is definitely *not* to put pressure on anyone to say yes because I only had 4 express interest. If you're not feeling it or are overextended with other games or life in general, I totally get it.

Hyena_Creative

Constant Giggler
Validated User
OK...

For anyone coming to this thread, Interest/Recruitment is still open until I say it's not.

M Mister Gridlock Hyena_Creative Hyena_Creative fireinthedust fireinthedust Willis the 3rd Willis the 3rd
I'm willing to give this a shot if you are. Please let me know if you would like to be in or not.
I'm still looking for 4. If I only have 3, I'll think about running it. If I only have 1 or 2, I'm going to postpone the idea for now.
This is definitely *not* to put pressure on anyone to say yes because I only had 4 express interest. If you're not feeling it or are overextended with other games or life in general, I totally get it.
Hopefully I don't put you in too much of a bind, D drkrash , but I think I'll be backing out. I've decided to try my hand at running something, and thus won't have time to be a player in another game. Thanks for bringing this game to my attention though, and if I ever am free I'll let you know :)

Top Bottom