• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest/Recruitment] BESM 3rd Fairy Tail/Black Clover Super Mages!

Siwyenbast

Resident Catgirl
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hi all! I finally got the initial setup taken care of for the game I was thinking about running/playing. First up, the crunch. I'll be running this for 4-5 players in the BESM 3rd system (it's what I have, and it handles anime games really well) no Shock Value used, but Energy Points will be used to represent your mana amount/how much you can draw from around you. We're going in the middle of Mythic, with 330 CP to spend, and up to 10 points max worth of defects allowed. I'm barring the fun tax (aka extra actions) from use, as there are other ways to represent speedy characters. Use the general point cost guide for skills and such, as the world is a modern one with magic. Also, try your best to stick with the outline table. I will ask that your backgrounds be fleshed out and give you a reason to care about your character's triumphs and tragedies. Let's keep the ages above 18 for characters, please. I also am going to ask you to pick a power source type and how you got it, as it's more for world flavor. If you go with a Divinely sourced caster and/or a non-human, please tell me, as there is some information that only you will know. Divines are also the rarest of the magic sourcings, as they're the newest to come back. I also require them to pick a deity that's not monothesitic. I will also be happy to answer questions concerning the game.

Now for the fluff. This is knowledge that any and all Mages should have.
(A world close to our own, save magic and supers are a thing.) Magic in the fireball form had been gone for several centuries, with the slight nudging kind all that was left, and even that was dying as people moved away from it. That all changed with the Apollo 11 moon landing. At first the drips became a trickle, then a stream. Young practitioners who tried out old written spells that hadn’t worked since the Reformation found that they could get a weak effect of the same element of that spell, but it didn’t have the same magnitude as its peak. This stream became a deluge when the new millennium hit, spurred on with the hope of the calendar turn. Supers, who had existed in some shape or form since WW2 (usually tech/science backgrounds) now had both an adversary and ally in the newly formed Mage Councils, now out in the open. These councils usually govern the local mages of a given city, work with the local government to enforce rules and such.

Alas, magic is not as widely accepted as our fantasy games and stories would lead a person to believe. Mages can be and are subjected to prejudice from the populace, particularly hardline technocratic-like people. To combat this prejudice, the local councils have allowed the creation of guilds, or like minded individuals that help with the magical and other problems around their city. These magical problems resurfaced about the same time that the Mages’ power resurged. They usually stuck to rural areas until the second release, and even then they were hard to deal with. Most mages would cast a binding on them and keep an eye on them. Most of those bindings have started to fail, and only now, after the second release, can mages deal with them more directly.

The guilds, in this way, are basically magical powered superteams that usually focus on the occult in the area, but many teams do have generalization in focus. They must have a sanction from the local mage’s council to operate, and keep good ties with the local government. The Midwest and Eastern regions of the US are the most influential and the focus is felt on them keenly. The Southeast, Southwest, and Western US are the up and coming ones, with South Central and PNW not bringing their attention forward yet. Game is set in Austin, TX. Tech level is current. Magic can exist side by side with tech, but only at first release level or below. Anything higher can mess with or fry a pure tech piece if it’s not properly shielded. Current shielding is improving, but still can’t take a full-on, testing the limits of the second release spell. We’re not at the level of full fantasy blasts that level a neighborhood yet, but a few streets might get singed if someone doesn’t control themselves or a battle happens there. Insurance for this stuff is a thing.

Not just anyone can become a mage. Usually they must have a talent for it, be passed down the ability in some form, undergo some very painful experimentation, or find an item that allows them to access it in specific ways. Most have to learn how to use their abilities, and there are magic academies that are both public and private. Magic typically works off of a person’s energy reserves, with a good helping of assistance from the world around them. This can be affected by emotions of the wielder a la AtLA. Magic is split into several currently working types: Ritualistic, Shamanic, Arcane (usually works with ritualistic, but splits a lot) Spiritual, and Divine (basically all current power templates in BESM 3rd). Arcane and Ritual are the most common, Shamanic and Spiritual the middle of the road, and Divine the least. This is because of how they are passed from master to student. Arcane is typically through innate talent and study, Shamanic though innate and being passed the power, and Divine a direct bestowed or an item. Divine is also the newest of types to have reappeared, and is scary, even to other magic users, since it means there’s actually gods out there (much to the horror of antitheists). Very few guilds will accept a divine user, and those that do are kept watch over so that they don’t bring about the end of the world, or so their detractors say. This has lead to a few users lying about their typing and covering their face for incants out on missions. Arcane and ritual take the longest to cast, but the use of imbued speed cast items helps to bring them up to combat efficiency. Though, these items have a shelf life of about 3 years, less so if the user is an active caster.

Non-humans came around with the problems, but they stayed hidden. Its only within the past 4 years that they have come into the open (the lesser ones, at least). Some of them have their own brand of magic that straddles shamanic and spiritual, but it is incredibly difficult to learn for non-members. The oldest don’t remember where they were before they appeared in world. Are usually oni, ogres, classic fantasy races, beastkin (nekojin, inujin, etc) and halves. No current higher tier non-humans exist in world.

Our tale revolves around the guild Twilight Sky Mage Brigade (usually shortened to Mage Brigade or the Liminals). They are based out of Austin, TX and are a bit rowdy. One of the few current guilds to accept openly Divine casters, they don’t allow bigotry towards them in their ranks. That said, all members must wear the guild’s emblem (a trio of multicolored stars over a horizon) on their person where it is visible on missions and G rated. This can be in tattoo form that the guild pays for or a piece of clothing, such as a wristband or shirt, for those less inclined for ink. New members must also team up with either an experienced member and/or form a small team for their first several missions before any solo work can be done. Once they’re judged worthy, they’re considered full members.

The PCs are new recruits to the Liminals, just arriving to the guildhouse in Eastern Austin with the emails of acceptance on their phones. What fate will await these fresh-eyed casters? I'm sure you're all eager to find out.

Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As mentioned when this first came up, definitely interested. I'll see if I can come up with an idea that my brain lets me fit to the chargen parameters.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
Definitely still interested here too.

Is it like Fairy Tail or Black Clover in that people will all have one type of magic with a (possibly wide) variety of applications, like wind or mirrors or string, or a more "typical" wizard who can fly, cast fireballs, summon objects (or creatures) and such under the auspices of just "magic?" Or does that vary by magic type too?

Herodarwin

Validated User
Put me forward as interested too, need to reread the book before I'll have a strong idea of what to play.

Siwyenbast

Resident Catgirl
RPGnet Member
Validated User
GaoGaiGar GaoGaiGar Most mages specialize, as they have an affinity for one or two types of magic, a la Fairy Tail/Black Clover, and it cuts down on strain and logistics of remembering all those incant types and such. There are very few generalists, but they're usually young kids searching for their affinity (magic starts showing around the age of 8, with formal academy training beginning soon after. Academies function like regular schools, but with both magic lessons and regular classes) or the really powerful one in a billion person that is a bit off their rocker off in a cave somewhere. The current most powerful mage that anyone knows about is the leader of a NYC guild named Yggdrasil's Roots, Devon Schneider. He specializes in 3 types. Typically, if they're older and have mastery over more than a couple of magic types (thinking like air, water, time, conceptuals, etc) it's best to not mess with them. Mages have to get creative in applying their craft to a problem, such as using water to both fly you towards the opponent and put out the fire they started.

ajdynon

Validated User
I'm thinking of doing a version of my Huntress of Artemis that I used for a short-lived superhero game here - would that fit?

talam

Smile, smile!
Validated User
Oh, I'm interested!

If we're going mythic, I'm thinking of going a sword god type, but with multiple invisible telekinetic hands that hold swords, some that are real and others that are spiritual swords. Would that work?

EDIT: Doing up a test sheet, decided to nix the crossed out stuff, making more fluff than mechanical. I'm also thinking of making him a Divine source-type, tied to the Zoroastrian god of victory Verethragna.

Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The first idea that comes to mind is a 'necrodancer', at least partly because I that word stuck in my mind after hearing about Crypt of the Necrodancer.

I'm thinking mostly your standard 'bard' - musical magic to buff allies and unnerve foes, do a little healing, that sort of thing. But she has a talent for the wavelength of the dead; being an awkward girl even before her magic started coming in, she hung out in cemetaries a lot, and ghosts were some of her first really good friends.
So she can call forth ghostly 'backup dancers', friends she's made who can follow her around instead of just being bound to the place of their death or focus of their unresolved issues.
I'm thinking instead of modeling servants, just make them be the narrative justification for some of her abilities - like she can fly slowly or hover by being held aloft by some spectres, telekinesis is a poltergeist fetching something for her, etc.

Herodarwin

Validated User
I'm debating 2 character concepts right now, might not play either mind you

1. a computer enthusiast shadow wielding/travelling Reynard (European Fox Kin)

2. A son of a business tycoon looking to own his own life who entered a pact with the spirit of a small muddy pond, (old unused character concept reminded by the monster trainer template), (while I would like to be digimon style would be willing to be familiar only)

Last edited:
Top Bottom