• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest/Recruitment] Don't Rest Your Head

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
After finishing running (and successfully completing, even with the loss of a player at the end) a game of Don't Rest Your Head, I have an itch to run another one.

The premise of the game would be that the Awake players are recruited by the Wax King through various reasons to accomplish a mysterious goal - place special candles in prominent areas around the Mad City to enable the King to do... something. And you don't have a good feeling about that something either.

I'm wanting up to 3 players for a game of power, intrigue, and madness, of course. Posting minimum is once a day.

Any takers? :)

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cool, that's two. I'd like a third if we can. :)

Last edited:

Baeraad

I'm so tiiiiirrreeeeed...
Validated User
I'd be interested, but it might take me a few days to get a character together, given my current state of plague-ridden delirium.

... possibly some sort of germ-based character? A chronically ill hospital patient whose symptoms include insomnia? With the power to debilitate people by coughing on them. This might possibly be an idea that only a feverish brain would think was any good... :p

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd be interested, but it might take me a few days to get a character together, given my current state of plague-ridden delirium.

... possibly some sort of germ-based character? A chronically ill hospital patient whose symptoms include insomnia? With the power to debilitate people by coughing on them. This might possibly be an idea that only a feverish brain would think was any good... :p
You're in, Baeraad. Take a few days.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
An additional question you need to answer with the others is the following: How did the Wax King recruit you?

Baeraad

I'm so tiiiiirrreeeeed...
Validated User
All right, I'm recovered - mostly - and I've thought up a character of sorts.

Name: August Lenke

What's Been Keeping You Awake?

August is an elderly man at the Ward of Indeterminable Illnesses at St Mary's Hospital. He's quite likely dying, though the doctors aren't exactly sure of what precisely - his symptoms are many and varied and never entirely consistent, though overall they're getting worse. Lately, chronic insomnia has been added to the list.

What Just Happened To You?

As August was lying in his hospital bed, counting the cracks in the ceiling as well as his cataracts allow, something ran past his door - something the size of a child but rough and melted-looking in its outline, leaving waxy footprints behind. August thought about it for a moment, then got up, put on his slippers and walked after it. After all, he figured, what has he got to lose?

What's On The Surface?

August is old, gaunt and crotchety. He's only got a few remaining wisps of grey hair clinging to his mottled scalp, and he glares at people with watery eyes above a hawkish nose. He's wearing a thick, well-worn bathrobe over a hospital gown. He disapproves of very nearly everything, especially the fact that most people have the nerve to be younger than he is.

What Lies Beneath?

This is in fact August's second visit to the Mad City. When he was a middle-aged man with grown children, the long - and ultimately fatal - illness of his wife kept him awake at night and he began seeing the Nightmares and other strangeness around him. He tried to use his strange new connections to save his wife's life, but in the end he failed in some ways that he can't exactly remember anymore, resulting in his mental collapse and a long incarceration in an insane asylum.

What's Your Path?

August lost contact with his children and grandchildren when he was incarcerated - things were said and done in his delirum that couldn't be taken back. With little time left in this world, what he wants more than anything is to reconcile with his estranged family before it is too late, though so far he's been too old and bitter and above all too tired to try to reach out.

Why Did the Vax King Recruit You?

August served the Wax King once before, and apparently the old bastard thought he did a good enough job to want to employ him again. August doesn't trust him as far as he can throw him, and fully expect to be tricked again (which he's sure he was, somehow), but... well, at this point there's no harm in trying.

Responses: Fight 2, Flight 1

Exhaustion Talent: "This reminds of that one time..." August has lived a long and eventful life, and he frequently recalls similar situations to the one he's in and knows what worked in them and what didn't. In fact, as he gets more and more confused from lack of sleep, he starts remembering having done some pretty unlikely things that have an uncanny resemblance to what he's doing now. Submerged recollections of his last time in the Mad City, or some kind of garbled flash of genius? Either way, it often works.

Madness Talent: The Touch of Decrepitude. August can lay his hand on a person or object and rapidly age them, sometimes decades at the time. When gripped by madness, it seems perfectly logical to him that his advanced age and poor health can be shared with others - why, he's just overflowing with the filthy stuff, of course it's spilling over!

Last edited:

lordmcdeath

Validated User
Name: Alice Jenkins

What has been keeping you awake

Alice was a successful writer in her teens. One of the youngest novelists to have two best sellers in a series of ground breaking fantasy novels. But after that, her muse dried up and blew away. It was if she only had the one real story in her and that was it. So much like many frustrated artists, she turned to altered states and consciousness for inspiration. Rather than indulging in large amounts of drugs or alcohol like so many of the writers before her, she turned to meditation and intensive physical training. She'd played around with the martial arts before, to help bring realism to her work. But she dived deep into both mysticism and esoteric martial arts with both feet. The grand irony is that she did this to herself in pursuit of her art and it worked.

What just happened to you?

She was just putting the finishing touches on a manuscript well ahead of your editor's deadline. The Paper Boy whose blood-ink she had been using to write with stopped screaming hours ago but it was still enough to finish. Her "method" was proving quite productive. As Alice finish the text and goes to mail it, she finds a letter written on waxed paper and with a very special seal. Dropping her latest work off, she picks up the invitation. It wouldn't do to be late after all.

What's On the Surface

A pale woman in her late twenties, Alice has taken to wearing her red-blond hair in a pony tail and dressing in flowing white robes of an oriental cut. The cuffs however are always a startling black, as if she had been wrist deep in ink and it never truly washed off. She is normally a quiet person given to introspection, but more and more now she seems to be pressing into the manic.

What Lies Beneath?

She is writing of things both great and terrible. Her new work is receiving rave reviews and perhaps a little more attention in both Cities that it should. She is bringing a bit of the Mad City into the Slumbering and her fans love her for it. It is not without consequence however. Not everyone who reads the works are unchanged by it.

What is your Path?

Alice seeks to create a definitive work cataloguing the Mad City and the things that find themselves within. In her increasing madness, she believes if she can just write everything down and get it into a coherent whole, she might chain the madness. As if by committing to paper, she can craft a prisoner for those nightmares and trap them within.

Why did the Wax King recruit you?

The Wax King was the only one who would answer her questions and she was the only one asking many of them. Her guide to the Mad City might prove quite useful to new arrivals and to him if she can really uncover the things she seeks. That Alice is also a deft hand in a fight is wax on the candle, so to speak.

Responses Fight 2, Flight 1

Exhaustion Talent Martial Arts, within the Mad City there are few more adept and in more esoteric fields and styles. Some come from her time in Tibet, some from the masters she found in the US, and a few that seem to come from nowhere she can name. She isn't quite sure where they came from but they had proved handy a time or two.

Madness Talent The Written Word. Alice can summon forth things from words she's written, calling to live things from her stories. When the madness grips her, the words seem to form the object in his hands. She's shot someone with a gun made of the word gun and climbed a rope made out of the word rope.

Top Bottom