[Interest/Recruitment] OSRIC/AD&D1e in homebrew Necromancer Games/1e Modules world

timbannock

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Game:

The Seekers is an open-ended sandbox campaign, largely featuring adventures and locales from Necromancer Games and various 1st edition adventures.

The Player Characters are mercenaries and sellswords, motivated for whatever reason to obtain treasure, arcane lore, and experience. They are members of a guild called The Seekers, who hope to explore the remains of this ruined world.

In true 1st Edition style, XP is gained as much by amassing treasure and obtaining arcane lore as by slaying -- or more likely, avoiding and outsmarting -- monsters and enemies. Traps, diplomacy, stealth, and the use of tools magical and mundane are often likely to be more effective than kick-in-the-door style of play.

What You Absolutely Need to Know About the Campaign Setting
  • Great empires once existed, sufficiently advanced to have built airships, clockwork or steam machines, floating cities, and other wondrous creations.
  • A terrible calamity fell, variously known as The Scourge, The Dark Tides, or The Fall. This event forced all the Name-giver races (humans and demihumans) to live in underground cities for protection, called kaers.
  • About 300-500 years ago, people began leaving the kaers, exploring the ruined world and reestablishing cities and towns. ''The Seekers'' guild was established during this time, to provide a network of like-minded individuals to collaborate on maps, reestablishing trade routes, and so on.
  • No great kingdoms or empires have held, only small city-states and duchies, or independent towns, villages, or nomadic caravans or barbarian tribes.
  • You are new to the nearest city, Endhome, a small, independent city-state that has rapidly become a port of substantial trade in the region.

More campaign info can be found (and will be updated) here at my wiki.

Character Creation

1. Rulebooks: OSRIC, and I’ll consider any AD&D 1e classes from Unearthed Arcana, Oriental Adventures, and DRAGON Magazine. Races are strictly limited to OSRIC (human, elf, half-elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, half-orc). I don’t use psionics in my game at this time.

2. House Rules: I’ve got a fair number of house rules. You don’t have to memorize it, just note what applies to creating your character and follow it. Ask any questions you want! Here are my house rules.

3. Generating a Character: Level 1; for Ability Scores roll 3d6 six times and place them as you like; maximum starting GP (by class) to purchase equipment. Note that at the start of the game, you will NOT have any money left over, so try your hardest to spend it all.

4. Although my house rules already state this, I want to reiterate: ANY Race can be ANY Class and you can choose ANY Alignment. My only guideline is that I don’t tolerate Chaotic Stupid (or Lawful Stupid, for that matter). If we end up with a LG Paladin and a CE Assassin, I’m cool with that...but you, the players, must figure out a way to make that work.

EVERYTHING BELOW THIS POINT IS EXTRA INFO

Terminology:

Although I have co-opted terminology and such from games like Earthdawn, don’t let that influence you. I just like the terms “kaer”, “Scourge”, and “Name-givers.”

Game Style:

I run adventures that are somewhat 'typical' of Old School D&D: low level dungeon crawling, mid-level wilderness exploration, and high level politics and planar-hopping.

Player Characters should thus be motivated first and foremost by gold and power. They may have an altruistic end goal: to avenge a fallen comrade or family member. They may have evil designs: to become a feared warlord. But all are mercenaries who know they cannot succeed without money and power gained by adventuring in this deadly perilous world of fallen empires and forgotten mysteries.

Only teamwork and cunning will allow you to achieve these goals, and only adventuring can bring you the riches that you need, or deserve.

My PBP General Rules:

*Be nice; this is everybody’s game.

*I expect you to post once per day whenever possible EXCEPT weekends. I don’t post on weekends (but you can!), generally, so that’s a good time to catch up or post if you’ve fallen behind.

*In-Character Thread is for dialog and description of your character’s actions. Start each post with your character’s name in BOLD, if possible. Put OOC commentary, questions, and rules stuff in SBLOCKS - click this link to learn how to do SBLOCKS and other rpg.net forum stuff if you don't already know how.

*Out-of-Character Thread is for in-depth rules discussion, long-term goal planning, strategy, and Q&A.

*I try to play “by the book” whenever possible, so your expectations are set. Note, however, that I do have fairly extensive house rules on my wiki, and those are in play. My house rules can be found at this link (same link as above).

*You are responsible for your character’s information, including both the character sheet and the Encumbrance table -- both found here -- though I’m happy to make edits at your request (I don’t expect you to be a Wiki savant!). Please keep it up to date.

*I don’t expect you to spend hours on character history or mapping or anything else. I just want you to have fun playing. While this means that I will keep maps for you, I won’t always be so gracious: if mapping is impossible due to in-game events (fleeing through unmapped corridors, perhaps), it’s up to you to track things, if at all possible.

*I very much play in a 1e style, so player knowledge and skill is sometimes just as crucial as character traits. I’m not an antagonistic DM, however, and I do go by the guideline that all Player Characters are “competent adventurers,” therefore it’s safe to assume your character can do fun, heroic stuff, like ride horses, fairly accurately appraise the value of gemstones (sometimes even at a glance), maintain/repair your own arms and armor (given time and tools, of course), and hunt/fish/prepare food and camp without special rolls.

*Dice Rolling: I use Invisible Castle for rolling dice, providing linkage whenever possible. I tend to do most of the dice-rolling, but you may feel free to roll (and post the link when you do so in SBLOCKS, per above). Generally, even if you are asking about a potential roll (“Can I roll my Find/Remove Traps?”) it’s okay -- and even preferred -- if you just make the roll and post it along with the question, that way there’s no need for extra work. It’s not mandatory, just preferred.

*Combat: I’ll roll initiative per my house rules, and you go when it’s your turn, adding Casting Time when casting spells or +1 if wielding a two-handed weapon. You can roll your attacks and whatnot, though for the sake of keeping things moving, I may do so if I notice too much lag. Though not required, stating your intentions early on is beneficial (for example, you could write down your “standard” tactics in your character sheet, or you could, at the beginning of combat, state that you intend to “kill the spellcaster” or whatever). I don’t want combats to take up a bunch of time, so please understand if I end up doing most of the dice rolling and posting the results, but if for some reason I am rushing or you want a little more control, please don’t hesitate to slow me down or ask.

Resources:
Last Note (I promise!):

In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve played in a handful of PBP posts, some of them for long periods of time (several months, at least), and I’ve run two that ended fairly quickly (about 2-3 months) due to time constraints regarding prep on my end.

This current campaign has nearly ALL of the prep work already done, so that shouldn’t become an issue unless the campaign totally veers off the map (not likely; it’s a big sandbox).

This is also a system for which I have considerable experience, so developing stats and handling mechanical aspects of the game is practically second nature for me at this point. That too should not create any barriers in the foreseeable future.

Let me know if you're interested and what you'd like to play!

Last edited:

timbannock

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: [Interest/Recruitment] OSRIC/AD&D1e in homebrew Necromancer Games/1e Modules world

There seems to be some interest in AD&D 1E. I for one would like to play a Kensai!
Can do! Note that I haven't taken into account Oriental Adventures classes into my house rules, so I'll have to square all that stuff up. I'll provide a separate post shortly with any changes I foresee (if any).

Could I join with a ranger?
Definitely!

Last edited:

timbannock

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: [Interest/Recruitment] OSRIC/AD&D1e in homebrew Necromancer Games/1e Modules world

Note that I haven't taken into account Oriental Adventures classes into my house rules, so I'll have to square all that stuff up. I'll provide a separate post shortly with any changes I foresee (if any).
Here's what I'm thinking for the Kensai:

Starting Gold: 80 gp

Weapon Proficiencies: Per my house rules, a Kensai would be proficient in all weapons, no armor, and no shields. In terms of slots, I'd give 2 slots at level 1 (one for the Kensai's chosen "specialty" weapon and one to spend as you wish on any other weapon), and you'd gain 1 more slot every 2 levels (level 3, 5, 7, etc.).

Natural Armor Class: Remember to convert to ascending AC values if we end up using that, but otherwise no changes here, other than that I'm going to cap your Natural AC at 5 (or +5 bonus using ascending AC). Conceivably, it wouldn't be too hard to get +6 using my house rules, but I think that's just too powerful when you consider that you get additional AC bonuses as you level up.

Initiative Bonus: Remember that low rolls are good in my game, so simply convert the bonuses to negative numbers (-1 bonus at level 1, -2 at level 5, and -3 at level 9).

Ignore the Psychic Duel bonus; there are no psychic duels in my game.

I'm going to change up the bonuses to hit and damage both to start at level 3 (originally, damage bonus starts at level 2), but otherwise act the same. For example, you'd now get +1 to hit and damage and your weapon would act as if it were a magical weapon at level 3, and this would increase to +2 hit and damage at level 5, +3 at level 8, +4 at level 10, and +5 at level 12.

In lieu of moving around bonus damage like that, I'll remove the Level 11 Whirlwind Attack ki power, and instead provide a slightly toned down version available once per day at Level 2. This version acts much like the Feat in 3e: once per day, you can attack any enemies within your weapon's Reach. Roll each attack separately.

Lastly, the level 7 "Cause fear like a Samurai" power will be a little beefed up: Once per encounter, you can force the enemies to make a Morale check even if they normally wouldn't. This won't affect creatures immune to fear, but could trigger early surrender or flight in other monsters.

Everything else stays the same. This includes things like 1d10 Hit Die, Attack & Save as a Fighter, Prime Requisites, immunity to fear, Level 4 meditate like a Shukenja, level 6 surprised only on 1-in-6, etc.

Let me know if you're okay with these changes.

Carcharodon

Sith Eldritch Horror
Validated User

I'm interested, maybe with a half-orc fighter or druid.

timbannock

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Seems slow going on this.

I've added an interest thread here to see if people might be more enticed if I run this as a Dungeon World game.

tomas

Validated User

Sorry for the delay. But now I'm confused (a common occurrence for me), are you going to be running this game using AD&D or Dungeon World?

timbannock

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Sorry for the delay. But now I'm confused (a common occurrence for me), are you going to be running this game using AD&D or Dungeon World?
Consider this me officially closing this interest/recruitment thread.

I'm going to run it in Dungeon World.

Top Bottom