• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest/Recruitment] Spider City 'Runners (oWoD20th Crossover Kitchen Sink)

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Once again the kernel of an idea got into my head, and won't let go.

The idea is a World of Darkness 20th Anniversary (and previous attendant splats, editions, etc) crossover game, but one without the weight of metaplot hanging over our heads, or the need to know every detail of a modern city setting. I just want to do away with that and concentrate instead on a bunch of supernaturals doing a bunch of supernatural stuff. Maybe some of the oWoD material that didn't (or couldn't) get used in a modern earth setting, especially with the rigorous metaplot.

A group of supernatural characters, working together in a neat setting. Hustling. Surviving. Maybe thriving. Maybe ruling.

The setting I have in mind is Spider City, the one and only metropolis in the infamous shapeshifter spirit realm known as the CyberRealm. It has lots of opportunity, and not much overhead.

I'm thinking cyberpunk. Electric dreams. Shadowrun. Blade Runner. Synthwave. And a nice schmear of supernaturals. Spirit and tech. Juice, both literal and metaphorical.

THE NUTS AND BOLTS:
Character creation would see everything available, vanilla and exotic, save for mummies, wraiths, demons, and Hunters.

The whole realm runs on "Juice"; every supernatural has its own version of "Juice" - even the humans have it in terms of interpersonal relationships and power in the mortal realm. Since you've made it to another bloody reality, chances are good that you have a modicum of it yourself. And just like in the material world, there are those who would use it to their advantage. Some of them are more direct than others.

Spider City represents a chance at a better life. Maybe you came here to escape, maybe you came here to use your Juice to rise above the crowd, maybe you just came out of sheer curiosity. Whatever the reason, you're going to have to hustle.

Posting frequency would be fairly high, at once per day or once every other day, max.

No rape or sexual violence.

Mechanics...hm. I have traditionally rolled dice for everyone, but if I can suss out the intricacies of the forum's dice roller, I might have people roll their own. It's a lot of work for me to handle all mechanics.

IC and OOC threads would be combined into one, as is my standard preference. Language and violence are part of the territory.

I'd be looking for 3-6 players total, and I'd be choosing the jibs of which I like the cut; that is, recruitment won't be first-come, first-served, but rather character concepts which I think would fit. They don't necessarily have to be chrome-blooded cyberpunk hacker types, but they have to have something to offer a group of hungry newbies. Not everyone is a cyborg or a decker. A good range of skills and characters will help you survive and meet your goals.

In any case, I'll throw this idea out there and see if it tickles the gestalt. Let me know if you're interested, and what character concept you're leaning towards. No full character sheets yet, please. I don't know if this idea has wings or not.

Marikir

ST/GM/DM/PC/NPC/OKC
Validated User
The terms Cyberpunk and WoD20 have weight in my interests, but I'm a little at a loss. I'm not quite "getting" the setting. In terms of the old WoD cosmology, is this someplace in the Umbra? Or are you throwing all of the Werewolf cosmology out of the window and just saying you want a to do WoD Splats in a Cyberpunk style city of chrome?

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
To clarify: yes, the setting is in the Umbra. It's the CyberRealm. But I don't want this to just be a shapeshifter chronicle, so for some reason a group of...well, whatever character types get chosen...have managed by hook or crook to get to the City. They've moved into a realm of spirit that for the most part operates as does a city in the material world. They'll have to survive on that level, and also try to better themselves, get power and realize their goals. In short, to get more "Juice".

Maledicta

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm interested as well. My initial ideas for characters would be:

A Kuei-jin following the Howl of the Devil Tiger who is out to make money and gain Chi, and would be willing to sell their own grandmother to achieve that goal.
A Virtual Adept Mage. Bit obvious maybe, but I always wanted to play one of those.
An Ananasi (werespider)
A Nuwisha, follower of Ti Malice

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
I'm interested as well. My initial ideas for characters would be:

A Kuei-jin following the Howl of the Devil Tiger who is out to make money and gain Chi, and would be willing to sell their own grandmother to achieve that goal.
A Virtual Adept Mage. Bit obvious maybe, but I always wanted to play one of those.
An Ananasi (werespider)
A Nuwisha, follower of Ti Malice
I think we'd stay clear of the Devil Tiger, but the others would work. Provided that they weren't all about that baby-skewering evil :)

Marikir

ST/GM/DM/PC/NPC/OKC
Validated User
If the game moves forward, then I'll flesh out whatever option is chosen from those below.

1. A Brujah who arose from an extended torpor that started in the mid 80s. "What the...you mean that movie was RIGHT???" Think typical gang member. Options include making it a Gangrel or Caitiff.
  2. A newly promoted mid-tier executive. Having to manage a department of drones while also dealing with this nagging bloodthirst is...tricky, but no one said being a Ventrue was easy.
  3. A liason between a MegaCorp and a local Police Department station house. After all, if the police is going to need access to the company's resources, someone has to watch over the investment. For this one, I'm thinking a Technocratic Union member of the Syndicate. Think Bob Morton from Robocop (1987).
  4. A corporate investigator/troubleshooter. New World Order member of the Operatives Methodology. Could go along a "rogue clone" route if you wanted to move away from having Union direct support.

Maledicta

RPGnet Member
Validated User
  1. A liason between a MegaCorp and a local Police Department station house. After all, if the police is going to need access to the company's resources, someone has to watch over the investment. For this one, I'm thinking a Technocratic Union member of the Syndicate. Think Bob Morton from Robocop (1987).
  2. A corporate investigator/troubleshooter. New World Order member of the Operatives Methodology. Could go along a "rogue clone" route if you wanted to move away from having Union direct support.
Huh. That reminds me that I've always wanted to play a Technocrat, too... adding that to my list of possible splats. but I've got no solid concept yet.

EDIT:
So, my current list of possible splats looks like this:

Ananasi
Nuwisha
Virtual Adept Mage
Technocratic Mage

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
We seem to be having some trouble reaching critical mass here, but I'll leave the thread open another week or so.

I know the game that I have in mind, but I don't know if I've managed to adequately express it in my excitement. I see the group as knowing each other (because it's hard to do anything but that in PbP, unless you want to spend six months on gettin' to know you chit-chat), and not yet being established in the City. They will have newly arrived, probably start the action in medias res, and represent either folks that have fled conventional reality (Earth) due to hardships, or have sought out the spirit realm for some purpose. There's a reason that these folks have left the material world behind to set up shop in a spiritual dream of a cyber-city. Alternately, they might be there against their will, but getting to the City and leaving the City are two different things.

It's possible that the characters don't know each other well of course; they might all just be part of a group that sought out the same ticket to the spirit realm, perhaps even a literal Coyote to enable their emigration. It's possible that they might even be the sorts of folk who don't normally associate with each other on Earth. But they've come to make a go of it.

EothasianNightLight

Validated User
I'd be interested in this! I don't know the system or lore yet, but I can read up on it and spin up some character ideas. I like cyberpunk and the setting so far.

As a quick disclaimer, I have events that will keep me from the computer, most of the time, Wednesday-Sunday. If these are paragraph long posts, I can probably do once a day still.

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
I don't set a word count for posts; I just want people to post whatever they need to post for their character actions, dialogue, etc. By the same token, if nothing needs to be said or done by the character, then I don't expect a post. I set the frequency in order to set a timeline where we can get everyone's actions and such posted without a lot of wait.

Top Bottom