• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest / Recruitment] Velvet Generation — Real Plastic Trees

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
As mentioned in the games you'd really like to play, I'd like to run Velvet Generation: the Demo Tapes. The setting is essentially a decent music is illegal concept album, plus aliens. It is 2070 and the Ministry of Music is a dominant force in the one world culture and government that suppresses "extreme emotions" and runs things as an absolute fascist shithole for everyone.

The game would be set along one of the crumbling corridors of the old eastern US transport system, now a site for a vertical farm that's the only place to get a halfway decent job—unless you're part of the transport team. A few local spots have legal, or leftover, sound systems that are supposed to only be used for official music (if at all) but as long as workers keep showing up to their shifts and things don't get out of hand, there are currently bigger fish to fry. Of course, as the PCs start to become big fish they'll likely be sited for the pan…

Like all Velvet Generation games, the PCs are a rock band involved in the revolution that will topple the Ministry and the government that it is a part of.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
I finally have the book!

I'm definitely leaning Starchild, though I haven't formed enough of a mental image to zero in yet. Probably leaning a bit more Misfits than Ziggy Stardust.

Not sure what band role yet.

inoshiro

Validated User
I'm interested, though it depends on how often you expect posts. As I'm a sax player in real life (who's actually experienced the horror of playing sax in a rock band for a few years, ha—oh, the amplification problems!) if there's room for the band for a saxophonist that'd be my pick. (It fits with the Ziggy Stardust vibe.)

I haven't read the rules, but presumably potential participants can still join the open playtest (here), and get a copy, right?

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
That's how I got mine, though I went and dug up their Discord and poked the authors to have them approve it (guess its a manual process).

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
I’m a lousy guitarist but a big music fan who’s spent a lot of time hanging around amateur musicians. I’m very interested in the game but do not have access to a play test copy as yet though I’ve signed up.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Interest is trickling in. We should probably do the thing where we put our preferences for Band role.

Honestly, my top three choices in order are...
Argonite Wondrous, the Lead Singer - Starchild Diva
Glimmer Iodine, Keytaurist - Starchild Synth Wizard
Ruby Kafka, the Drummer - Starchild Backbeat

For people still looking/waiting for the book, the "Roles" in this game are:
Diva
Virtuoso
Backbeat
Synth Wizard
Suit
Roadie
Demagogue
Criminal
Support
Muscle

You can pretty much guess what each one means, though they're not super restrictive and only define what starting things you get easier.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Yeah, you can take an ability from outside of your main role, so even if you take a revolutionary (or music support) role you can be up on stage, or otherwise help the band while they play. Though, do remember if you want to take any Starchild powers you'll need to leave room open for that, which makes it trickier to go outside your role as well, so you should pick the role for a Starchild that you want abilities from at first if you want to use Starchild powers.

Since there is interest after work today I will put an outline of char gen up and so forth. If anyone is having trouble getting the playtest I'll nudge the author.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
ugh, late to the party.

Have the book, haven't read it yet. Preferred roles just from the obvious concepts: Diva, Demagogue, Virtuoso.

Top Bottom