• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest / Recruitment] Velvet Generation — Real Plastic Trees

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Argonite is Friends with Jack and Jack is Rivals with Argonite is my initial though since Jack is intense and driven and Argonite is a bit more laid back and self-centered. Dunno, just noodling.
Kind of where I was headed too.

inoshiro

Validated User
Didn't get the ping (I'm not sure why!), but I need to apologize.

From Thursday until yesterday I was struggling with getting my "new" (second hand) desktop computer working. (Apparently the migration of files between Macs used to be easy, but only if things are set up just so, and with recent updates to the OS there's a lot of ways for things to go wrong. I seem to have I stumbled into probably every one of them.) Between that and a sick kid and a copyediting deadline, the last few days have been a wash.

I'm still keen to play, and I'm working through the rules (though I've not made much progress, for obvious reasons). I'll try get you something to you sometime tomorrow, if that's okay? I'm very sorry for having slowed the start down. If it's been too long and you would prefer to surge ahead, that's fine, though I'd be sad to miss out I would understand.

Oh, but I can say, as for relationships... the things that occur to me off the top of my head are:
  • a fraught (secretly envious) relationship with the lead singer, because, you know: "singers aren't musicians" (to an instrumental virtuoso), but they get all the love. ;) Wondering if it could be complicated by some kind of love triangle, but maybe that's too "Spinal Tap," I don't know.
  • a "drinking buddy" (or "getting stoned" buddy) in the rhythm section?
  • also wonder if Starchildren can know one another from the trip to Earth, or from "back home" or whatever. That might be an interesting relationship to explore?

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
  • also wonder if Starchildren can know one another from the trip to Earth, or from "back home" or whatever. That might be an interesting relationship to explore?
A sibling sort of relationship, perhaps? I think there can definitely be pre-Earth history. We could even have come to this city together, being as it is in the moddle of nowhere.

I think that the official description has the Starchild ship as being a generation ship. Our characters never knew their homeworld, the only thing they knew was the ship which was travelling to a Promised Land. With the ship dead in space and the Earth not at all what was advertised, the Starchildren truly have no home left at all.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Yes, it is a generation ship and there's no reason why the Starchildren wouldn't know one another from before, so there can certainly be seeds of the relationship from the ship.

Sometime tomorrow is fine for getting stuff, just wanted to make sure you were still with us.

inoshiro

Validated User
Sometime tomorrow is fine for getting stuff, just wanted to make sure you were still with us.
Thanks!

A sibling sort of relationship, perhaps? I think there can definitely be pre-Earth history. We could even have come to this city together, being as it is in the moddle of nowhere.

I think that the official description has the Starchild ship as being a generation ship. Our characters never knew their homeworld, the only thing they knew was the ship which was travelling to a Promised Land. With the ship dead in space and the Earth not at all what was advertised, the Starchildren truly have no home left at all.
Then yeah, a relationship from the ship sounds good. Sibling (or broodmate or whatever) possible—I was thinking more along the lines of having either been rivals or maybe having been in the same practice band during their youth, before they got to Earth and learned what things were really like. I imagine they'd have been in some small room, practicing oldies and maybe doing their best impressions of Yo La Tengo doing its best impression of all the bands that came before. Young, full of naïve hope and expectations... a relationship to take refuge in, to return to find a wellspring of faith in The Project, as it were. Or some variant on that, I guess? (Diving back into the rulebook now, so I guess I'll see if any of that makes sense for the setting as written.)

inoshiro

Validated User
Grabbed a copy of Mr. Prim's sheet to use (thanks!) and this is what I have so far:

Still working through the rules and stuff, though, so grain of salt and advice welcome.

Still considering the possibility that the saxophone could be some kind of living symbiont companion creature (or cybernetic appendage) that's only mimicking the form of a saxophone, though I don't know how well that works within the in-game fiction. (I'd hate for the thing to get killed or sick, and don't have lots of points to spend on that, since it's really just intended as Starchild flavoring.)

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Looks good so far; I'll double check the count of dots in a bit. I think the Riff + Solo choices are fine. In terms of tags, same note that I made to Danny, you only need two at the start (Avante-Garde and Mystic are the new ones) and the other comes based on relationship (so Political could easily get in there that way).

I'm really looking forward to the band name, tags, and set list.

inoshiro

Validated User
Looks good so far; I'll double check the count of dots in a bit. I think the Riff + Solo choices are fine. In terms of tags, same note that I made to Danny, you only need two at the start (Avante-Garde and Mystic are the new ones) and the other comes based on relationship (so Political could easily get in there that way).
Cool, I've cut Political and can re-add it later if it makes sense.

Does Mojo: Vibe count as one riff (i.e. including both uses I mentioned)? I assumed otherwise till I saw Argonite's sheet counted the Mojo as a riff and different dots as sub-elements of that riff. Still reading the book and didn't see anything that clarified that.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Mojo:. Vibe is one Riff and then you get the subpowers under it if you have a dot in that Mojo spot on your chart.

Top Bottom