• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Interest] Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Take 2

Kammerice

The Last Gunslinger
Validated User
Hey everyone,

I haven't been online here in ages, but figured I might as well jump straight in!

I've been listening to the wonderful Film Reroll podcast, whereby the players play through beloved movies as RPGs. This means that things can and do go completely off the rails with regards to the "official" story and can take the characters into some weird and wonderfully unforeseen situations.

My current IRL group is busy for the foreseeable future, so I thought I'd pitch the game here.

Ruleset: Cinematic Unisystem (I'll be generating characters using the Angel rules, but a passing familiarity with any incarnation of the system would be okay). I've used the system with its Drama Points to run successful Star Wars games before, with a homebrew mechanic to work in the Dark Side (I'll explain all when working on the characters, if the game ever gets that far).

Players: Probably starting off with only one or two players (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, in the first instance). Sure, a third could be Padme, but from what we know of the story, I can't see any way to bring that character in quickly (the player is more than welcome to help me run a couple of NPCs - again, that can be discussed if the game gets going). I don't think we need an Anakin just yet (no guarantee the PCs will ever head for or reach Tatooine). I'll pregren the characters, but am more than happy to take comments on them and work with players to iron out any kinks.

Setting: The Star Wars universe exactly as we see it at the start of Episode One. That means no clones (that we know of), no Clone Wars, no Anakin/Padme love story, no Luke or Rebellion, no Death Star. The only things we know about the Galaxy Far, Far Away is the stuff from the first film.

So...anyone interested?

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
I...

Yes!

Those two roles are sort of intimidating, so maybe I could run an NPC or two?

No wait - Jar-jar - let me run Jar-jar!

But seriously: don't! We'll all regret it.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not at all familiar with the system and not likely to have time to read up on it any time soon, but I'm interested as heck in following this as a spectator.

Kammerice

The Last Gunslinger
Validated User
Those two roles are sort of intimidating, so maybe I could run an NPC or two?
Nah, they're fine! Whichever one you wanted would be your character, nobody else's.

The wonderful thing about this premise is that what "actually" happened doesn't matter. The Jedi might get killed in the opening scene, and it's fine! We're playing as far as we can take the scenario to it's logical conclusion.

I'm not at all familiar with the system and not likely to have time to read up on it any time soon, but I'm interested as heck in following this as a spectator.
Easiest system in the world.

All you as a player have to do is roll a single d10 to do anything. Add an relevant attribute and skill to that, get over a target number (usually 10 in an ideal situation) and that's it. Damage and everything else is really uncomplicated.

There are Drama Points (I'll call them Force Points for this), which allow you to do more cinematic stuff (take less damage, boost a roll, come back from the dead), but I can handle all of that if you're interested in playing.

I'm counting this as two "Maybes". Anyone else want to jump in?

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Easiest system in the world.

All you as a player have to do is roll a single d10 to do anything. Add an relevant attribute and skill to that, get over a target number (usually 10 in an ideal situation) and that's it. Damage and everything else is really uncomplicated.

There are Drama Points (I'll call them Force Points for this), which allow you to do more cinematic stuff (take less damage, boost a roll, come back from the dead), but I can handle all of that if you're interested in playing.

I'm counting this as two "Maybes". Anyone else want to jump in?
Oh, cool. Yeah, if it isn't something I'd need to read a 200-page book for, count me as interested, although I'd feel kinda weird if it ends up looking like a solo campaign sorta situation.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
Nah, they're fine! Whichever one you wanted would be your character, nobody else's.

The wonderful thing about this premise is that what "actually" happened doesn't matter. The Jedi might get killed in the opening scene, and it's fine! We're playing as far as we can take the scenario to it's logical conclusion.
Yeah, I get that, my issue is more that looking at those two characters when we meet them, I'm not really keen on playing either of them...unless you're saying we get to make up their personalities and the like, with the only things established being what we know about Jedi from the OT, their current master/apprentice relationship, and their current location and mission...?

If the latter is the case, that's more intriguing. I would want to discuss that with whoever wants to play the other of the two characters.

Kammerice

The Last Gunslinger
Validated User
Oh, cool. Yeah, if it isn't something I'd need to read a 200-page book for, count me as interested, although I'd feel kinda weird if it ends up looking like a solo campaign sorta situation.
No worries. The majority of my IRL players have never read a single rulebook in their lives, so I'm used to that. I'd much rather players focussed on what their characters are up to rather than what they need to roll to do a thing.

If it ends up being a one-on-one, that'd be fine! Could be exciting - which Jedi would you want to be?

Kammerice

The Last Gunslinger
Validated User
Yeah, I get that, my issue is more that looking at those two characters when we meet them, I'm not really keen on playing either of them...unless you're saying we get to make up their personalities and the like, with the only things established being what we know about Jedi from the OT, their current master/apprentice relationship, and their current location and mission...?

If the latter is the case, that's more intriguing. I would want to discuss that with whoever wants to play the other of the two characters.
100% the latter. We know nothing about the characters, really. Arguably, they do lack a lot of personality in the movie, but yeah, to all intents and purposes they're stat blocks for you to breath life into. You can take or leave any inspiration from the movies that you want.

I'd also go as far as to say that whatever we do in this game shapes the universe. Literally all we know of this version of Star Wars is that there are Jedi, they have masters and apprentices, and there's a Republic and a Trade Federation. Sure, I'll keep the Sith as a thing and build towards that climax, but consider everything to be a blank slate. I'll draw what I can from the films to some extent (i.e. you'll probably be gassed in the first scene), but you might not meet Jar Jar, you might not go back to Coruscant (without which Palpatine might not become Chancellor and then later Emperor).

lordtaco777

Validated User
I'm definitely interested I haven't played in a game like this in a while so I'm super excited some one is willing to run something like this.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
No worries. The majority of my IRL players have never read a single rulebook in their lives, so I'm used to that. I'd much rather players focussed on what their characters are up to rather than what they need to roll to do a thing.

If it ends up being a one-on-one, that'd be fine! Could be exciting - which Jedi would you want to be?
Hmm, judging by your previous post, that'd mean that very little is set in stone about Jedi beyond the "Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy" in the opening crawl. I think in that case, I might actually lean toward Qui-Gon. Obviously if these 'Jedi' dudes are policing a whole galaxy, than the master of the pair has to be a real well-traveled kind of guy, right? Maybe a bit of a knight errant vibe.

Top Bottom