OOC Into the Dark - Shadow of the Spider Moon

Crimson Carcharodon

Validated User
So here's our OOC thread. We can go ahead and finish character creation here, as well as choosing a ship, and naturally a name for the ship.

There are three available ships to choose from: a human/halfling-built Manta class, an elven Monarch, or a dragonborn Wyrmling ship. Each is fairly small and will have three NPCs to help crew. The differences are in upkeep costs, cargo space (which means profit), possible passenger space, and speed.

The Manta is shaped, as can be expected, like a manta ray. Wide, only one main deck with a very small pilothouse for the spelljamming helm. Lookout nests on the wings instead of on a mast. It can land in the water, as most human ships can. It's one of several basic freight ships the Quelyans operate in numbers around the system.
Cargo space: 5 tons
Passengers: 4
Upkeep: 300gp per month

The Monarch, built by elves, has a conventionally-shaped main hull, with four large leaves that spread out from the hull. These leaves, as custom on elven ships, are alive and need to be trimmed every month or so. The Monarch cannot land in water, but the wing-leaves do fold so it can fit basically anywhere.
Cargo space: 4 tons
Passengers: 6
Upkeep: 400gp per month

The Wyrmling is a sleek ship with two decks and two swept wings, shaped very similar to a dragon, with the limbs serving as landing struts. The helm is at the front, in the 'head' of the ship. No water landing, but the 'claws' can cling, so if necessary, it can land on any suitable asteroid, even without normal gravity. The dragonborn of Verdura often use the Wyrmling as a way to ferry people around rather than a dedicated freight vessel.
Cargo space: 2 tons
Passengers: 6
Upkeep: 250gp per month

Myth

Southern Mane
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Purely on the numbers, I'd rule the Monarch out. I could make a case for either of the others.

Carsten

Validated User
As a diver my vote is on the Manta :)

Besides this purely name based preference I also think it's best in flexibility and inconspiciousness (does that word exist? If not, it does now :p).

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
I concur on the Manta, though my character will probably grumble about how a Monarch is more comfortable.

Crimson Carcharodon

Validated User
Awesome, looks like the Manta is the winner. Now we just need a name.

I'm shooting for getting the IC thread up tomorrow evening.

Carsten

Validated User
I've realized I did forget to take racial bonusses into account when building Anedith, creating some rather extreme peaks after I added them (fortunately I can blame the fever :) ). Rounded her out a bit more and changed spells for one that I forgot (Comprehend Languages instead of Sleep)

https://www.byteshark.de/Austausch/anedith_draft2.pdf

Spoiler: Show
Total: 114,5 172,55
Class Gear amnt price weight
Entertainers Pack 1 40
Backpack 1 5 5
Bedroll 1 7 7
Costumes 2 4 8
Candles 5 0 0
Rations 5 2 10
Waterskin 1 5 5
Disguise kit 1 25 3 3
Rapier 1 2 2
Lute 1 35 2 2
Leather Armor 1 10 10 10
Dagger 1 1 1
Bought amnt price weight
Longbow 1 50 2 2 2
Arrows (20) 1 2 1 1 2
Clothes, common 3 0,5 3 9 1,5
Clothes, fine 2 15 6 12 30
Clothes, traveller 1 2 4 4 2
Lamp 1 0,5 1 1 0,5
Ink Pen 1 0,02 0 0 0,02
Ink (Bottle) 1 10 0 0 10
Paper 10 0,2 0 0 2
Perfume 1 5 0 0 5
Mirror (Steel) 1 5 0,5 0,5 5
Potion of Healing 2 50 0,5 1 100
Soap 1 0,02 0 0 0,02
Tinderbox 1 0,5 1 1 0,5
Whetstone 1 0,01 1 1 0,01
Healers Kit 1 5 3 3 5
Mess Kit 1 2 1 1 2
Chest 1 5 25 25 5

Last edited:

TrumpetDC

Riskable #6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I assume the passenger number given above is besides us and crew, right?

As for the name is it something we'll decide in character, or are we getting a ship already named?

Also, about the three NPC crew... Are we helping you create them or do you already have three people in mind?

Edit: Here's a brainstorming list. It's based on the ship coming pre-named having been built by humans and halflings.

Avendra's Lot (or share or piece)
Lascar's Lament
Star Surge
Thorny Skate
Devil Ray
(More to come. I'm not invested in any of these. Just don't say they're hideous. :) )

Last edited:

Crimson Carcharodon

Validated User
I assume the passenger number given above is besides us and crew, right?

As for the name is it something we'll decide in character, or are we getting a ship already named?

Also, about the three NPC crew... Are we helping you create them or do you already have three people in mind?

Edit: Here's a brainstorming list. It's based on the ship coming pre-named having been built by humans and halflings.

Avendra's Lot (or share or piece)
Lascar's Lament
Star Surge
Thorny Skate
Devil Ray
(More to come. I'm not invested in any of these. Just don't say they're hideous. :) )
Right, passenger capacity is on top of the party and crew. I have a few ideas for the crew and I'll be trying to get those posted today.

EDIT: I figure you guys already have a ship, but it could easily be newly-acquired so the naming could happen in-character if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
Top Bottom